Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Sooooooo looking forward to Gilles and Peta's Bollywood next week!!!

vCash
    Exactly what kind of dance style is "Broadway"? Chorus line? lol! Now I'm sad because we won't get to see it.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Helio First elimination that hurt.

Some of the celebs really lucked out. Melissa's jitterbug was what the judges chose as her breakout dance last week, Shawn did an excellent mambo her season, and Apolo and Karina both won with hip hop frees. (I was thinking maybe Apolo and Karina gave Melissa and Tony the jitterbug as a thank you).

I was really hoping Emmit would get contemporary, lol. I'm sure we'll hear about how his is the most sensual bolero evah. Val seemed really happy to get contemporary - does he have background in it, or does he just think it means he gets to roll around in a bed with Kelly like Erin and Maks did in their freestyle?

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I'll miss Helio, he had a charm about him and I enjoyed seeing him dance. There were definitely others who should have gone before him, but he probably would have been off in a couple of weeks so it's not a "shocking elimination." I don't dislike Sabrina, but I don't care much about her either, so I'd also perversely enjoy seeing the judges freak out if she left early in the season again.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    After watching tonights double elimination do you think there might be a bias among voters against those celebs that have already won DWTS?

vCash
    I don't normally watch DWTS. I just watch a few dances sometimes. Tonight I got lucky and was able to see the top 3 scoring dances. They were WOW! Shawn & Derek were incredible in their athleticism and musical interpretation. Kelly & Vic were awesome in the Paso Doble, and Melissa & Tony were great in the Samba.

May be I will start watching this show. Having the all stars has really raised the quality of the dancing.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    I was afraid to say this last night, but since Kirstie already said it I will too .... Maks totally looked like a drag queen in that wig! He looked so .... I don't even know what the word is I'm looking for. He did not even look like himself at all, at least not to me he didn't.

Can't believe Bristol is still on (well, yes I can). Based on dancing it should have been Bristol and Kirstie going tonight in my view, even though I like Kirstie, she's not as sharp as she was in her season.

that we won't get to see what kind of Broadway number Helio would have pulled off. I bet it would have been entertaining!

And what the heck is Bolero anyway? Of course I know the music, but its a dance style too??

vCash
    Bolero is typically a slower paced dance that reminds many of rhumba.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw6AvZk0jSk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZGS-IZ6rW4

Natalie and Alec had it on a previous season of DWTS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdMZ_IyWtso

It will be hard to make it very memorable with some of the faster paced dances that promise to be more entertaining for audiences.

vCash
    Anna is not the shortest female pro, Chelsie is. Helio is slightly taller than Drew, but neither is particularly tall.

In terms of height pairings, Bristol would go much better with Derek and Shawn would be a much better fit with Mark, who is either the shortest male pro or second shortest with Louis being the shortest. I actually think they're about the same height.

We don't really know all of what happened between Mark and Bristol, but I'd be really curious about Mark not showing up for a rehearsal. If he had it covered and some else was there to replace him, okay, but if he just didn't show then that's not good. Something is off with Mark this season. As always, I hate to defend Bristol, but maybe she's right. He stuck up for her throughout season 11, but maybe he's just not that into it this time. I think it is about Shawn. The producers never would have paired him with Sabrina because her participation wasn't known until a month after the initial cast was announced. It was entirely possible Kyle or Carson could have taken that 13th spot, so it would have been Lacey dancing instead of Mark. Producers wouldn't have risked not having Mark, as I believe he's perceived as being popular with the viewers.

I don't really get why Bristol continues to be so weak. She's young, she's fit, she's got a solid amount of experience in front of TV cameras at this point and she's capable of moving. As long as people are voting for her anyway, I wish she'd find a way to not be the worst.

As for Kirstie, I don't get why she's so weak. She's in vastly better shape than season 12, but she seems to be utterly inept this time around.

Thank goodness we don't have to endure Broadway next week. Everything else seems fine, although Kelly and Val doing contemporary could be a train wreck.

vCash
    Mark said- twice- that he was sorry he was late for rehearsal. Late, not didn't show up. She's the one who said he didn't show up.

I just figured at the time he was late and she got tired of waiting and didn't stick around. I still think that's how it probably went down.

vCash
    The look on Bristol's face was priceless.
    She really seemed surprised to have "survived" elimination..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post
    Mark said- twice- that he was sorry he was late for rehearsal. Late, not didn't show up. She's the one who said he didn't show up.

I just figured at the time he was late and she got tired of waiting and didn't stick around. I still think that's how it probably went down.
    I thought he admitted that he didn't show up. First he said he was late, then Bristol said he didn't show up at all, then I thought he agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    The look on Bristol's face was priceless.
    She really seemed surprised to have "survived" elimination..
    She should have been shocked. Two much better dancers went home. And I don't think she is really trying.

Kirsty does seem to be having more difficulty, this time. But, age is not our friend!

vCash
    I don't think that Bristol has the ingrained "work ethic" that many of the celebrities do.
    They want to do as well as they possibly can; for themselves, and for the public.

The effort required is an alien concept for her.
    You have to want to do the work, also.
    I doubt that she does.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    The effort required is an alien concept for her.
    You have to want to do the work, also.
    I doubt that she does.
    I disagree. I actually think she comes in and works hard. I think she doesn't understand the concept of performing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pixie cut View Post
    I disagree. I actually think she comes in and works hard. I think she doesn't understand the concept of performing.
    Frankly, I think she's just too young/immature/inexperienced to "get it." It's still all about her. She just doesn't seem to understand teamwork or making adjustments on the fly to get the desired result.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pixie cut View Post
    I'm not saying that Bristol doesn't work; just that the amount of effort put forth by an actor/professional dancer is in different category from what Bristol is able to do.

I agree that she doesn't understand "performing".

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtisticFan View Post
    Bolero is typically a slower paced dance that reminds many of rhumba.
    ... Bolero IS a rumba (as in international rumba, which is very highly stylized and grown out of competition, and American or 'box' rumba which originated as a social dance.) All three are related to Cuban son. Bolero is characterized by elongated movements and dramatic upper-body shaping. It's part of the five-dance American Rhythm style (American does usually get the other dances, like Argentine, "American" paso and samba, merengue, etc dumped on its day at a comp, but Bolero's one of the five that matter, along with cha cha, rumba, triple-time swing, and mambo.) It is ALWAYS slow (relatively speaking)-for bronze the tempo's permitted to vary between 24-26 mpm, for all other levels it must be 24 mpm. (For comparison, international rumba is 26 mpm at its slowest, American rumba is 30-32, as fast as international cha cha.)

If we go with the dance-as-romance analogies people start out with, cha cha is flirting, Am. rumba is seduction, Bolero's going all the way. It feels...stretchy to dance. It's gorgeous when done well. It's comic in a bad way when done poorly. (No prizes for guessing how I feel *I* always look..) Which is why I'm kind of worried. I cannot see this being something Emmitt takes to like a duck to water.

And again--Bristol's got good technique. She's okay playing to the cameras when that's ALL she has to do. But VERY often when she's dancing she gets that ZOMG PANIC look--what the others have isn't a work ethic, it's either innate skill (some performers just are born with it), or learned skill of just powering through when you realize something's gone wrong. There's a difference between talking to a camera (any person can talk) and having to perform a skill with which you're uncomfortable. A lot of the male athletes in previous season who haven't excelled tended to express this with the 'shuffle' look--you can't perform when you're self-conscious. Bristol does her best in closed hold, which tells me right there--when she basically CAN'T go wrong (Mark is not going to LET her, but he can only control that in closed), she doesn't panic. When she's suddenly sent away and has to perform without instant feedback, she gets that frozen look. (The one thing that some people do is the reverse--relax when they're doing separated work, choke in closed because you're suddenly under each other's feet.)

vCash
    To me, Bristol looks as if she doesn't quite know all the steps. I don't know whether it's a performance issue - she's scared she'll forget something - or a practice issue - she hasn't put in enough time to make the steps come automatically so that she can think about how she does them.

Kirstie, on the other hand, looks as if she doesn't really care if she makes a misstep or two; she's more concerned with the how she's presenting them than the what of the choreography.

I don't mind losing Drew but Helio should not have gone home while those other two are still there.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    America, seriously why is Bristol still dancing?

Kelly has really improved since her first time on the show, She is getting my vote for most improved dancer, WOW!

Just me
    vCash
    Drew needed to go, but Helio could have stayed. Bristol or Kristie should have been out. I enjoyed Kristie last time, but for whatever reason, she's just not cutting it for me this time.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast