Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    http://fsrussia.ru/news/439_yuliya-l...zhit-sejchas/#

Interview after Russian Junior Nationals: Better to go through it now

Julia Lipnitskaya placed fifth at Russian Junior Nationals in Saransk. When the competition was over, Julia tried to explain why her performances here were unsuccessful.

Olga Ermolina (OE): Julia, why you didn't skate here as well as we know you can?
    Julia Lipnitskaya (JL): I don't know. The preparation for this competition was much worse (than usual), in my mind as well. I couldn't make myself get the programs ready and get anything done at all.

OE: How can you explain it - tiredness, injuries?
    JL: All of it. The period of growth has started, too. It's difficult to deal with.

OE: Do you feel the change?
    JL: It isn't noticeable for outsider's eye, but I feel it. Everything has changed, and it's hard to get used to it. I lost coordination significantly at some point. It's not that I had grown up that much or gained weight, but it feels different, and it's different in my mind, too. I have to fight it, but I didn't do it very well here, apparently.

OE: Are you angry with yourself?
    JL: A bit, yes.

OE: Did you have maximum concentration before the free program?
    JL: I skated poorly in the free. I fell on the last Salchow, because I had no energy left. The entry was technically incorrect, too. I fell. And stepped out the Lutz. The Lutz was seemingly good, but I landed and somehow got "thrown out".

OE: But you have to go through everything.
    JL: I knew it was impossible to always skate clean, because when the growth period begins, it will be two times harder. The girls went through it last year, you could see it very well, and now it's happening with me. I remember I thought then: "Do I also have to go through it? How awful!"
    People who haven't seen me for a while, say I had changed a lot. It's not that I grew up or gained weight, but my body had changed. And that's the reason for all my problems. I jump and (the axis) is off, I lose half a rotation and fall. The axis is right, and I land the jump, and everything is clean and +2GOE.

OE: It's not very clear how to deal with it.
    JL: But better to go through it now, so that it's easier later. It's an experience, after all. I have to learn how to get myself together, despite all that.

OE: You are not too upset about this event?
    JL: Nothing to be happy about, as of yet.

OE: Wise people say that negative experience is a new starting point, new page in life.
    JL: Of course, everything can't be always good. Liza and Adelina are lucky in the sense that this growth period is over for them. Look what a perfect shape they are in now. They were so composed at the European championships, skated very well. This period is over for them, and it's just beginning for me. But I still hope I will manage in time before the Olympics.
    Last edited by quiqie; 02-04-2013 at 06:58 PM.

vCash
    thanks ququie,

Julia is a very wise girl indeed
    I think she will be fine with her transition period

vCash
    Sounds like Lipnitskaya is now entering puberty and growth spurts and all that goes with it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Sounds like Lipnitskaya is now entering puberty and growth spurts and all that goes with it.
    the puberty period begins ! hope she can handle it well like Liza did or maybe Adelina to some extent ?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    She should be doing figure skating commentary. She's what, 14 or 15, and she's more direct and insightful than anyone else I'm hearing or reading. (PJ Kwong would be more diplomatic about Lipnitskaia's skating than she is about her own.)
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    She should be doing figure skating commentary. She's what, 14 or 15, and she's more direct and insightful than anyone else I'm hearing or reading. (PJ Kwong would be more diplomatic about Lipnitskaia's skating than she is about her own.)
    So true.

vCash
    Can't wait til she matures and regains her jumps.

She needs more speed and flow to her skating - this summer is high time for her to work on her basics - she might just do it in time and nail it at Sochi.

vCash
    Love Julia..always appreciate anyone who is so frank with themselves and the public. This year has been bit of a whirlwind for her internationally, and she should able to held her head proud no matter what. I still think she is insanely talented, surely a massive threat in the future. Does that means she is not competing at Junior worlds now?!

The Russian Jr. Nationals was bit of a shock for me, but then it is a weird season for a lot of my favs during National Championships. Dai having skated his best FS in ages, failed to cling onto his Nationals is an incredible downer as a fan of the sport. Liza only managed 3rd at European Championship despite skate the light out in her FS, that showed true grit (love to see that in any skater whether they succeed or fail). Jeremy Mirai failed to make the world team at US nationals. Karen Chen managed only a 4th at US Junior Nationals, but then I look at the podium I couldn't' stop laughing. She is half the size to everyone else.
    Last edited by os168; 02-05-2013 at 08:01 PM.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Julia is on the team for JW. She came in 5th, but was the 3rd highest age eligible competitor at jr nationals (many of the girls were too young even for junior internationals).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Julia is on the team for JW. She came in 5th, but was the 3rd highest age eligible competitor at jr nationals (many of the girls were too young even for junior internationals).
    Julia was actually second eligible. The third eligible was Anna Pogorilaya, who ended sixth. The girls who placed 2nd, 3rd and 4th are not old enough to compete at junior worlds. But they will be ready for next season.

vCash
    The next year is going to be very rough for her but at least she seems prepared. I have been worried about her jumps for the last two years so now we will see how she adjusts during this period. Hopefully she'll be able to handle it but I wonder how quickly she'll be able to adjust? It usually takes about a year so we'll have to see what shape she's in by the time nationals rolls around next year. Even if she's not ready by Sochi, Julia is very young and will have time to get herself together for 2018.

vCash
    Interview after Junior Worlds "After the last jump, I wanted to cry and laugh at the same time"

http://fsrussia.ru/news/488_yuliya-l...-odnovremenno/

"It was very hard, - admits the World Junior champion of last year Julia Lipnitskaya. - Frankly, after the Salchow - last jamp - I wanted to cry and laugh at the same time. I don't know what was happening to me. At some point, I even felt sick…

The judging was very strict at this event. Everything regarding edges, under rotations - very strict. I haven't seen the protocols yet, but I think I might have got edge calls, and maybe even under rotation on the second flip. Maybe something else. Plus, I doubled the Salchow…

Before the free, we went back to the last year's jump set. Instead of 3-3 combination, we put down 2A-3T, so as not to risk. We did the same at the Russian Junior Nationals. So far, I manage 3Lz-3T, and then it gets harder…

I don't remind myself and talk about this season's problems and injuries. What happened, happened. Today, it wasn't difficult to get ready for the free. My coach, Eteri Georgievna, and I spent half of the practice talking. She prepared me, told me what to do, I did, went back, and we started all over again. The whole practice. It was much easier to skate like that…

There weren't any spare thoughts in my head today. Although there were in the short. I went into the combo, and I had so many thoughts, sometimes I have fewer in a day. In the free, I was calm. Especially the first half of the program…

I can't say I did everything at these championships and the result matches the level of my preparation. I was ready for more. I could have done that Salchow. But it slipped past me again. What is this? What upsets me the most? If I've done the Salchow, plus 4 points… But it's okay, it's not that bad…

I don't have any other competitions this season. It was such a season, that I want just forget it, but keep the experience I got. Very useful experience.
    We haven't thought about future programs yet. We haven't thought ahead much this season at all. Something just begins, and right after, an injury happens. Everything falls through. It happened like that three times, maybe. I lost the count. Only after the Junior Nationals it started coming back to normal. No injuries.

You know, at one practice Eteri Georgievna hadn't even realized I was skating without tapes on my legs. We usually taped them with my mum in the morning, and I spent all day like that. Ice - gym. I came home, and took them off. And here the coach says: "Enough - take them off". I took them off, went back on the ice, and my legs felt like thermometers in the glass…

But I actually got back into shape very quickly. I hope that next season, everything will be different."

vCash
    Thank you very much, quiqie! I really like reading interviews with Julia Lipnitskaya. She seems to be very wise, old head on young shoulders.

vCash
    another insightful interview from Julia L.
    it's really nice to read the mind of an elite skater
    Julia seems very well rounded and a smart kid
    and best of all, she has an idea on how to maximize the CoP scoring.

let's hope she gets good programs for the Olympics Season

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12