Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperryfan View Post
    Pairs skaters do manage longer careers but I don't recall any who has started the discipline after a long career in singles, that's where the big difference is. Of course if it's just an experiment it should be fine, but when Raymonde said ""If you want, you can continue in pairs, but not in singles. You are 29 years old and you have to stop now." it gave me the impression that she sees pairs as a lighter alternative to compete in and end his career, the same way European soccer players go play in the US at the end of their careers... I honestly don't see the point of it, except for him to get coaching experience, but it's not my body...
    Well, I also got the impression that she was saying that because she knew he wouldn't be pursuing pairs as seriously as singles, that he wasn't aiming to be Olympic or World champion in the discipline, simply to gain some experience and compete a bit. That, along with not doing quads and 3As everyday, would be a little easier physically. Brian himself has always talked about pairs skaters with a lot of respect. He has also said that when he was younger, he didn't think he had the personality for it, since one's success depends so much on another person and he wouldn't have been able to handle it if his partner messed up.

I'd be curious to see how he does with the pair elements - lifts, twists, throws. That article posted above said he was working on lifts with Daria - any photos/videos out there?

ETA: Not sure if this has been posted before, but there's some footage of Popova and Joubert doing a lift on the floor here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw15X6AVky4
    Last edited by marysy; 05-27-2014 at 08:02 PM.

vCash
    any news on silethe btw?
    will sje ever be back in competition?
    i enjoyed her so much more than meite

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    I think you mean Yamaguchi/Galindo, who both competed in singles and pairs until dropping pairs and continuing as singles skaters. Robert Wagonhoffer did also skate both. Then there is Ken Shelley, who not only skated both but finished 7th in singles and bronze in pairs at the same Worlds.

Still those examples were all from many years ago and none of them turned to pairs late in their careers. I can't think of anyone with a career path similar to Joubert, who competed elite singles for over a decade, then took up pairs.
    I was talking about Yamaguchi and Waggenhoffer as I wrote. I know their career, thanks

Yes it's long ago but it still shows single and pairs can be learn by the same person.
    Yes it's not the same as Joubert's situation, but his experience won't be useless if he really goes on with pairs skating.

James also was a single skater, she won the last british title Jenna didn't enter/win since 2002 or so (feel free to correct).

vCash
    Speaking of James... any news/ updates on James/Cipres?

vCash
    They've been in New York working on new programs with Line Haddad (former pairs skater) and Orlando Reyes (Argentine Tango dancer).

vCash
    Pairs skaters do manage longer careers but I don't recall any who has started the discipline after a long career in singles, that's where the big difference is. Of course if it's just an experiment it should be fine, but when Raymonde said ""If you want, you can continue in pairs, but not in singles. You are 29 years old and you have to stop now." it gave me the impression that she sees pairs as a lighter alternative to compete in and end his career, the same way European soccer players go play in the US at the end of their careers... I honestly don't see the point of it, except for him to get coaching experience, but it's not my body...
    People have different aims.

Joubert kept competing in singles even though, by his own admission, he was aware he wasn't able to keep up any more and did not have the technical content to aim for championship medals.

With his pairs career, all he is saying is that he wants some pairs experience so that he can coach pairs as well. It's not like he is saying he is aiming for an Olympic gold medal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    They've been in New York working on new programs with Line Haddad (former pairs skater) and Orlando Reyes (Argentine Tango dancer).
    Many thanks for the info!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    With his pairs career, all he is saying is that he wants some pairs experience so that he can coach pairs as well. It's not like he is saying he is aiming for an Olympic gold medal.
    Yes, I know. I think my beef with this type of career move is that many years down the road, when no one remembers the context and details that surround one's late career decisions, there will be people who look at his competitive record and think this was a botched attempt when in fact he was meeting his goals. But I'm an advocate of quitting while you're winning for this very reason, it's just that as an anthropologist I look for the context of the situations and for that very reason I know very well that they often get lost in time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    any news on silethe btw?
    will sje ever be back in competition?
    I posted about that earlier in the thread - the most recent news I have is that she was in a show a couple of months ago.

Yes, I know. I think my beef with this type of career move is that many years down the road, when no one remembers the context and details that surround one's late career decisions, there will be people who look at his competitive record and think this was a botched attempt when in fact he was meeting his goals. But I'm an advocate of quitting while you're winning for this very reason, it's just that as an anthropologist I look for the context of the situations and for that very reason I know very well that they often get lost in time.
    I don't see how Joubert is responsible for how some people might interpret his possible pairs career many years from now. It's certainly not a good reason not to give it a shot.
    Last edited by Zemgirl; 05-28-2014 at 12:02 PM.

vCash
    http://instagram.com/p/pEtcktNlYc/

Tiffany Zahorski finally has a new partner! She's teamed up with Jonathan Guerreio & they are training in Moscow. I wonder which country they will represent? In terms of getting to Euros & Worlds you would think they'd have a better chance in France, but it's easier for Tiffany to change countries than for him as she hasn't competed since Euros 2012.

vCash
    ^^^ Glad for both of them!

Pushkash/Guerreiro's ISU bio (they placed 8th at Russian Nationals & competed in 3 Senior B comps this past season): http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00012080.htm
    P/G's last international ended on Jan. 10, 2014: http://www.pfsa.com.pl/results/1314/...4/CAT011RS.HTM

ETA from the Russian news thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    thanks the figure skating god for finding someone for zahorski, though i am one (of thew few, i know) who can't see anything special in guerrerio. i am absolutely not impressed by him but am totally willing that he proves me wrong

btw, as mentioned zahorski, what's with lorenz/miart? does this pair exist?
    Anyone have an update on whether or not Lorenz/Miart are training together? The following was posted on March 17 in this thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    http://www.cergy-patinage.com/saison...cheCarilis.pdf
    Look who is listed to skate at a show in France this week: Alexis Miart and his new partner Kavita Lorenz
    He was 4th at junior worlds with Zahorski 3 years ago. She skated with Ukrainian dancer Evgeni Kholoniuk and they were 3rd at German Nationals last year.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-11-2014 at 01:05 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    They could skate for England, Australia, Russia, France, AZE.... Hope to see them on the ice asap.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I posted about that earlier in the thread - the most recent news I have is that she was in a show a couple of months ago.

I don't see how Joubert is responsible for how some people might interpret his possible pairs career many years from now. It's certainly not a good reason not to give it a shot.
    He is not responsible for it obviously, it's just something that bothers me, hopefully history will be kind to him or you'll see me as an old lady writing angry letters/emails/whatever-goes-then to set the record straight with whoever tells the story wrong.

Great news for Tiffany!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    http://instagram.com/p/pEtcktNlYc/

Tiffany Zahorski finally has a new partner! She's teamed up with Jonathan Guerreio & they are training in Moscow. I wonder which country they will represent? In terms of getting to Euros & Worlds you would think they'd have a better chance in France, but it's easier for Tiffany to change countries than for him as she hasn't competed since Euros 2012.
    Wonderful!
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Great news for Tiffany! They should come and skate for Team GB
    'The one. The only. Daisuke Takahashi ' Chris Howarth, EurosportUK

vCash
    P&G last competed at Mentor Nestle Torun Cup 2014, around Jan. 11th.

vCash
    I am so happy for Tiff ! Let's hope this one treats her well. Or I'll be mad.
    I hope they would skate for France, but I doubt it can happen
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieM View Post
    I am so happy for Tiff ! Let's hope this one treats her well. Or I'll be mad.
    I hope they would skate for France, but I doubt it can happen
    Why not? The Rus Fed released Riazanova, didnt they? And R/T had much better results than P/G ever did.

Im very hopeful for this team. I liked R/G as a junior couple very much. I hope with Zahorski, Guerreiro will finally start living up to his potential. Who will be training them. Does anybody know?

Another benefit of skating for France is they'll probably be sent to Sphilband, which will be great for them.

vCash
    Excited to see them together. Glad she's back on the ice with a partner.

vCash
    The candidates for the election as president of the french federation are :
    - Didier Gailhaguet
    - Marie-Reine Le Gougne
    - Gwendal Peizerat

The election will be next Saturday, June 21st.

Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast