Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatak View Post
    Little Prince, which, btw, was published 70 years ago this year
    I would like to see them do a program to Little Prince, who remembers Stanick Jeannette's? It was awesome and IIRC the choreography was done by Gwendal Peizerat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperryfan View Post
    I would like to see them do a program to Little Prince, who remembers Stanick Jeannette's? It was awesome and IIRC the choreography was done by Gwendal Peizerat.
    What year was this please will check it out on YT ?

vCash

vCash
    I'm not sure this picture really qualifies as news, but I had to put it somewhere

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperryfan View Post
    I saw it live in EM in Malmö, an it was a masterpiece. It suited to Jeannette so well.
    I do believe that t it is a good choice for them. And I recommend to book for everyone, it is a great read.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnice View Post
    I saw it live in EM in Malmö, an it was a masterpiece. It suited to Jeannette so well.
    I do believe that t it is a good choice for them. And I recommend to book for everyone, it is a great read.
    I agree: that performance, Denkova/Staviyski's CDs -- there were still two back then -- seeing the soft blades of Poykio and Kettunen for the first time, and the excitement for Berntsson were the highlights of Malmo for me.

If P/B's program is even half as inspired as Jeanette's, it will be wonderful.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Some news about Joubert and his rink in Poitiers: http://www.lanouvellerepublique.fr/V...-glace-1503622

* The rink closed for a year and is supposed to re-open partially to competitive skaters mid-September
    *Veronique Guyon was let go when the rink closed and found a job in Cognac. There was a dispute about her release but it looks like she should get her old job back.
    * Joubert said: "I would rather train in Poitiers than in Paris"
    * Joubert is keeping gladiator but he is currently doing changes to the LP
    *Maxim Staviski is going to do the SP. Maxim picked a music that Brian liked but has other musics to show him too. He is not necessarily looking for fast rhythms but for something powerful.
    *The last quote of the article: "I work very well with Katia (Krier) in Paris but I'd rather train in Poitiers. I could go back to Veronique, but there are still a lot of things to work on in Poitiers. It is a decision to take with the French Fed. What matters is to be serious wherever the location may be."

vCash
    Re-posting an interview with Joubert (in Russian) and videos from the Denis Ten shows in KAZ thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by reut View Post
    Brian Joubert: I'm still enjoying
    http://www.caravan.kz/article/63411

Good quality videos from the show:
    Opening
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODtgG4H2mMQ

Brian Joubert
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3rxRYdsDXE
    More videos are posted here (many photo links are posted throughout this thread as well): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3933009
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    GP assignments for the French skaters as of June 3:

SKATE AMERICA (Oct. 18-20, Detroit, Michigan)
    Brian Joubert, Mae Berenice Meite, James/Cipres, Carron/Jones

CUP OF CHINA (Nov. 1-3, Beijing)
    Florent Amodio; Popova/Massot; Pechalat/Bourzat, Carron/Jones

NHK TROPHY (Nov. 8-10, Tokyo)
    Chafik Besseghier

TROPHEE ERIC BOMPARD (Nov. 15-17, Paris)
    Florent Amodio, Romain Ponsart, TBA
    Lenaelle Gilleron-Gorry (GP debut), Mae Berenice Meite, Yretha Silete
    James/Cipres, TBA
    Pechalat/Bourzat, TBA

ROSTELECOM CUP (Nov. 22-24, Moscow)
    Brian Joubert, Papadakis/Cizeron (GP debut)
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Lenaelle Gilleron-Gorry (GP debut),ROSTELECOM CUP (Nov. 22-24, Moscow)
    Brian Joubert, Papadakis/Cizeron (GP debut)
    Good luck to Papadakis/Cizeron they have great potential

Fearless Musher
    vCash
    As of today (or actually mid-June since it's retroactive), Tiffany Zahorski is both British and French. Bienvenue Tiff !!
    "I missed the view and viewed the mist..." ©

vCash
    News of French skater Christopher Boyadji who is now partnering GBR skater Amani Fancy and for reasons explained in the interview, they aim to compete for Great Britain.

http://www.figureskating-online.com/fancy-boyadji.html
    'The one. The only. Daisuke Takahashi ' Chris Howarth, EurosportUK

vCash
    That is a really cute interview, I am looking forward to seeing them compete! I also remember seeing Amani in Oberstdorf when she was younger, so much energy.

vCash
    Is Brian Joubert going for tango ?
    (not overly original for men, but surprising, coming from Joubert)

vCash
    Joubert's music at the Courchevel Gala seems to be Libertango. Another piece Yagudin too used for one of his show programs.

vCash
    Thanks, Nmsis. I hope Joubert isn't seriously considering a tango SP. It's a departure from his usual, but not in a good way, I think. I haven't watched any of the videos as the quality seems rather poor, but is it possible that the gala just had a tango theme?

ETA: I now see that apparently this will indeed be the SP.

Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    Joubert's music at the Courchevel Gala seems to be Libertango. Another piece Yagudin too used for one of his show programs.
    You would think that nobody else in the history of skating had ever skated to Libertango (I had no idea Yagudin had even done a Libertango program, actually).

Yagudin skated to some fairly popular pieces of music in his career (e.g. Carmen, Tosca, MITIM, Snowstorm) and since his retirement. It's hardly surprising that other skaters will make similar choices at one point or another; let's just be happy that none have skated to One Banana . If Joubert did nothing but skate to music identified with Yagudin, or even if he mostly did that, I'd understand this sort of comment - but he hasn't.
    Last edited by Zemgirl; 07-29-2013 at 12:36 PM.

vCash
    You would think that nobody else in the history of skating had ever skated to Libertango (I had no idea Yagudin had even done a Libertango program, actually).
    There might be many who skated to Libertango, however I can only remember Griazev in men's skating. If Joubert is still working with Denkova/Staviski, maybe they suggested this music to him though as they too had a program set to Libertango a few years ago. It was a show number for D/S.

If Joubert did nothing but skate to music identified with Yagudin, or even if he mostly did that, I'd understand this sort of comment - but he hasn't.
    Joubert using in the past four years four different pieces Yagudin also skated to would make anyone suspicious, I assume. Knowing that Yagudin is Joubert's idol in figure skating.

http://alexeiyagudin.narod.ru/images/yagudin74.jpg

http://photography.ice-dance.com/201...-BJ-LC_450.jpg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    There might be many who skated to Libertango, however I can only remember Griazev in men's skating. If Joubert is still working with Denkova/Staviski, maybe they suggested this music to him though as they too had a program set to Libertango a few years ago. It was a show number for D/S.
    I'm not even sure that's Libertango - I didn't really watch the video except for the very beginning, but I've read reports that it's actually other pieces by Piazzolla? Maybe someone else can confirm.

I think Verner has had a section from Libertango in a program. It was also DenStavs' OD when they won Worlds, not just a show number.

Joubert using in the past four years four different pieces Yagudin also skated to would make anyone suspicious, I assume. Knowing that Yagudin is Joubert's idol in figure skating.
    I would estimate that including galas, Joubert has skated to upwards of 40 different pieces of music in his very long career, possibly more, and I can't even begin to guess how many different programs Yagudin has done. I think a certain degree of overlap is to be expected, especially considering that there are, indeed, some stylistic similarities (although Yags was more inclined to use classical warhorses in competition). Picking music previously used by high-profile skaters happens all the time in skating, and I just don't see why Joubert should be singled out - how is it different from all the ladies who admire Michelle Kwan skating to music that she'd used over the years? BTW, if memory serves, Yagudin has even skated to music that had already been used by Joubert

KvdP made a good point about using "Yagudin's music" (something he did several times in his career), noting that "it's called The Man in the Iron Mask, not Yagudin in the Iron Mask". Yags has been retired from competition for more than a decade, I think that's long enough to put his music back into circulation. Except for Winter, and I'd be shocked if anyone uses that, as it is truly a signature program.

As for the costume: the original version of the shirt was gray. The red version was used once and discarded, at Worlds that year Joubert wore something else. He doesn't seem to be very involved in the design process and has skated in borrowed costumes, too.
    Last edited by Zemgirl; 07-29-2013 at 10:50 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I'm not even sure that's Libertango - I didn't really watch the video except for the very beginning, but I've read reports that it's actually other pieces by Piazzolla? Maybe someone else can confirm.
    The first part of the piece is from Oblivion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZo_4pm6L_0
    Second part is from Concierto Para Quinteto: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DodZQsrttw4
    They're both from the violinist Gidon Kremer's album Hommage à Piazzolla.
    Lovely music selections!

For Brian, a vast improvement over the Genesis SP of the last two seasons, if for no other reason than the fact that it would present a more mature side of his skating that wouldn't involve hip thrusting on center ice. Going outside his usual electronic/film music could work, and at least on paper I think this is more suitable for him than that Beethoven FS a few years back, though whether it's a successful program will ultimately depend on whether he himself is comfortable with it. I have watched the video, but the quality is so poor that I'll reserve judgment until we can get a clearer look.
    Last edited by marysy; 07-30-2013 at 05:10 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marysy View Post
    The first part of the piece is from Oblivion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZo_4pm6L_0
    Second part is from Concierto Para Quinteto: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DodZQsrttw4
    They're both from the violinist Gidon Kremer's album Hommage à Piazzolla.
    Lovely music selections!
    Well then I guess the whole discussion about Libertango was academic anyway. I know that B/A used the second one, but I can't recall who else - presumably some other dance teams in the tango OD season? Oblivion of course is more poplar.

For Brian, a vast improvement over the Genesis SP of the last two seasons, if for no other reason than the fact that it would present a more mature side of his skating that wouldn't involve hip thrusting on center ice. Going outside his usual electronic/film music could work, and at least on paper I think this is more suitable for him than that Beethoven FS a few years back, though whether it's a successful program will ultimately depend on whether he himself is comfortable with it. I have watched the video, but the quality is so poor that I'll reserve judgment until we can get a clearer look.
    I wasn't a fan of the previous SP, either, so hopefully this will work better - I just hope for his sake that the judges will go along with something non-electronic for him, and that this isn't another Beethoven/Inception situation in which he talks up a new program only to report later that it never really felt right. I think all the skaters who will be retiring post-Sochi should enjoy themselves on the ice in their final season.

Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast