vCash

Thumbs up Skate Guard Interview With Brian Orser

Canada Month on the blog has seen plenty of Canadian skating history as well as interviews with so many great names in Canadian skating including Kaetlyn Osmond, Alexandra Paul and Mitchell Islam, Kevin Reynolds, Gabby Daleman, Michelle Leigh and many others!

The grand finale of a month of celebrating great Canadian skating is my interview with 2 time Olympic Silver Medallist and World Champion Brian Orser. We talked about his competitive career, new skating app Peak Performance Skating, his program "The Story Of My Life", transition to coaching and much more:

http://www.facebook.com/SkateGuard
    http://skateguard1.blogspot.ca/2014/...ian-orser.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Halifax View Post
    Canada Month on the blog has seen plenty of Canadian skating history as well as interviews with so many great names in Canadian skating including Kaetlyn Osmond, Alexandra Paul and Mitchell Islam, Kevin Reynolds, Gabby Daleman, Michelle Leigh and many others!

The grand finale of a month of celebrating great Canadian skating is my interview with 2 time Olympic Silver Medallist and World Champion Brian Orser. We talked about his competitive career, new skating app Peak Performance Skating, his program "The Story Of My Life", transition to coaching and much more:

http://www.facebook.com/SkateGuard
    http://skateguard1.blogspot.ca/2014/...ian-orser.html
    Thank you for this interview.

"My first student was a fifteen year old junior skater from Korea. Her name was Yuna Kim. Of course she was talented, but unfortunately she lacked passion and joy for skating"

Interesting....I never noticed that. I mean maybe after Vancouver she was a bit tired but before that I never saw that she lacked passion and joy for skating.

vCash
    Can't wait to read this one! I am nuts about Brian O. Thank you!

vCash
    You're welcome, Amantide! Glad you enjoyed it. It's always interesting to learn more about skaters from the coaches perspective.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Halifax View Post
    It's always interesting to learn more about skaters from the coaches perspective.
    It really is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Amantide View Post
    Thank you for this interview.

"My first student was a fifteen year old junior skater from Korea. Her name was Yuna Kim. Of course she was talented, but unfortunately she lacked passion and joy for skating"

Interesting....I never noticed that. I mean maybe after Vancouver she was a bit tired but before that I never saw that she lacked passion and joy for skating.

Sigh, he should probably ZIP IT whenever he's tempted to talk about Kim. His remarks seem uncharitable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Sigh, he should probably ZIP IT whenever he's tempted to talk about Kim. His remarks seem uncharitable.
    I was a bit surprised, didn't expect Orser to be so direct. Very russian style.
    Last edited by Amantide; 07-30-2014 at 02:43 PM.

vCash
    She even spoke about it herself. I am not sure I am remembering it right, but didn't she feel forced to skate by her mother, didn't enjoy it at all and only later on found that joy and passion?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    She even spoke about it herself. I am not sure I am remembering it right, but didn't she feel forced to skate by her mother, didn't enjoy it at all and only later on found that joy and passion?
    Oh yes? I had no idea about it. I thought that she didn't want to partecipate in Sochi.

vCash
    Oh yes? I had no idea about it. I thought that she didn't want to partecipate in Sochi.
    This was way way before Sochi when she was still in Juniors, I think, so if I remember it right, Orser only confirmed what Kim has already chosen to make public. So it shouldn't be seen as an ungracious dig at her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    This was way way before Sochi when she was still in Juniors, I think, so if I remember it right, Orser only confirmed what Kim has already chosen to make public. So it shouldn't be seen as an ungracious dig at her.
    Absolutely.

What Brian spoke about has always been the missing "element" in Kim's skating, IMO,
    Great as she is; she rarely performed as if she loved what she was doing.

Her inability to convey that may have cost her the fractions which would have given Kim her second OGM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Absolutely.

What Brian spoke about has always been the missing "element" in Kim's skating, IMO,
    Great as she is; she rarely performed as if she loved what she was doing.

Her inability to convey that may have cost her the fractions which would have given Kim her second OGM.
    Looking back, it is easy to see this aspect of Kim's skating at times--2010 and 2011 Worlds and 2014 Sochi in particular.

vCash
    Brian's comment about Yuna lacking passion and joy when she first arrived in Toronto has been well documented. I don't believe he meant she lacked passion and joy throughout her entire career, just when she was around 15...which was true. Her injuries, over-training, and lack of decent training facilities in Korea made her dislike skating and it wasn't until the 2008-2009 season (where she was injury-free) where we really saw that she loved what she does.

vCash
    Great interview with Brian! One of my all-time favourites! Really enjoyed all the youtube clips too

I first saw Yu-Na Kim (live) at Skate Canada in 2006. She was good then, and grew to become probably the best ladies skater I've ever seen...but even way back then she didn't look happy with what she was doing. Compare her & Mao Asada. Right from the beginning you could tell Mao loved to skate. Yu-Na looked like it was a job to her. Yu-Na has and had a beautiful, light quality to her skating, and just a beautiful way of moving, but the only time I saw her look happy on the ice was when she finished a great performance. IMO

vCash
    I remember a documentary or an article (or both) talking about this. It was when Orser just started to coach her. She wasn't happy, on or off the ice. It had been difficult, her injury which almost made her stop skating was a big issue and perhaps there were other troubles. Orser and David Wilson tried to make Yuna Kim happy, that was one of their first tasks. To bring the joy back. I can't remember where exactly I saw or read this though.

vCash
    I'm glad you've all enjoyed this! Lots more great interviews coming in the weeks and months to come!

vCash
    Thank you for the interview with Brian. He's one of my favourite skaters.

When it comes to Yuna, I don't know what she was like when she was 15, but she lacked joy and passion in Sochi. So maybe she is the person who had such moments during her career from time to time.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Great interview.

One of my favourite documentaries about Brian was The Theatre of Champions.

vCash
    In the interviews I saw leading up to Vancouver she said she was training in a lot of pain from chronic injuries (especially her hip) at the time she won Junior Worlds. She said Orser's contribution to her career was that he cut back on her daily training and taught her to build to a performance peak for competitions rather than train full out every day and suffer from repetition injuries.

I don't remember her saying her mother forced her to continue so much as her mother had sacrificed so much for her skating she felt she owed it to her to continue to the Olympics.

vCash
    Glad you have all been enjoying this. It's really interesting to see the different interpretations of Brian's statement regarding working with Yuna Kim! One thing's for sure, she shined at both of those Olympic Games.