Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
Results 381 to 389 of 389
  1. #381

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,471
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3806
    Doesn't Joubert re-use his programs........a lot.?.......
    Addicted to FSU

  2. #382

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    523
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Petrenko was on the third year of his LP when he won Olympic Gold...

  3. #383

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    In Canuck Land, hey!
    Age
    56
    Posts
    3,820
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2416
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    Doesn't Joubert re-use his programs........a lot.?.......
    Yes, it does seem the Joubert likes to "reboot" his Matrix music/programs
    Crazy about sports!

  4. #384

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,765
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    Doesn't Joubert re-use his programs........a lot.?.......
    He has repeated some programs, though never two in the same season that I'm aware of. Also, Joubert does sometimes have two new programs - more often, I think, than Chan. Brezina tends to recycle programs too, I think he recently said he can't afford to have two new programs choreographed each season. But while Chan has had a lot of expenses, I doubt that's the reason he's chosen to repeat programs.

    All that said, I don't mind skaters repeating programs, if said programs are good - especially if there are extenuating circumstances, such as an injury wiping out part of someone's season. I do think repeating both programs is going too far, though.

  5. #385
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    276
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    While there is some truth in what you say, the judges do sometimes over-score a skater time and time again - or at least, do so in the eyes of some people. Think of all the Russian teams that consistently dominated ice dance for years, with the next top team following behind the current one. Dance results were pretty much a foregone conclusion in those days. All of those teams' placements were defended by some people, but others really found the consistency of the results really questionable.
    Those were 6.0 days and corruptions and all.

    I do think Chan is the best among the men generally. But he is not the best natural jumper. And while I think most of his wins have been justified, I also think he has the judges' favour. Favour isn't necessarily misplaced and can be seen as no more than a fair acknowledgment. But it does benefit some skaters while others really have to fight for recognition among the judges.
    I'm sure judges have their faves. Chan's not the only one. But he's the only one some people keep accusing when there's really baseless.

    And he lost to Fernadez because he lost so many points on the jumps. There was just no way for the judges to gift him the win.
    Or because Fernandez had a better skate. If Chan had made another jump, and Fernandez had fallen another jump, the result could have been different.

    It wouldn't surprise me at all if Hanyu beat Chan at some point this season. He, too, has the judges favour IMO
    There are many guys can beat Chan when they have a great skate and Chan has a bad skate. But if all have a bad skate, Chan has the advantage because of his difficult programs and other factors.

  6. #386
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    276
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Well yes, having great basics and quality elements does leave a great impression with the judges and that's a huge advantage in judged sports. For Chan and Hanyu anyway, I think their favour from the judges are much more earned on merit than politiked (think Lindemann's bronze at Worlds held in Germany and Gachinski's bronze at Worlds held in Russia).
    Gachinski won because Ando made a stupid mistake.

    Since COP was introduced, I think SS (and on a more intangible note, confidence) has become the most important characteristic judges look for in a skater. You have Ando and Joubert consistently scoring high despite nil CH and TR, and then there's Kim's decisive advantage over Asada in the 2010 season.
    I do believe the judges value SS more than other elements, and it's rightfully so! Many like to say "sure, Chan has great SS, I will give him that, but that's only one of 5 PCS etc" True to that it's one of five PCS. However, without great SS, you can't really have great TR and CH, and to the extend, PE. And SS contributes to speed, edges, intricacy of the blade, the flow etc. It's not easy to have them all. One may have the speed, but not the edge. SS affects how the whole program will be skated. So it's not just one of the 5 PCS.

    I'm not a skater myself, so I have no idea which move is difficult or easy. I just listen to Kwong, Wilson and Browning talking about Chan's skate which is great. Browning points out Chan's movement after the 3Lutz, something that I'll never have spotted since it was just a second or so.

    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskati...es-doubts.html

    It's a Chan lovefest among those 3, so just skip to 3:50-5:00 for Browning's take on Chan's skate, and 6:00-7:00 on Wilson's take. It also touches on why Chan has so much difficulty on the 3Axel. To me that's Chan's weakness, not his artistry which many people like to think so.
    Last edited by jettasian; 11-15-2012 at 05:49 AM.

  7. #387

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Perth, ON
    Posts
    473
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2212
    Quote Originally Posted by jettasian View Post
    Gachinski won because Ando made a stupid mistake.
    You meant Oda right - too many combinations.

  8. #388
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cerro Torre
    Posts
    3,497
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    In figure skating, hurricane season is usually in February and March.
    It looks like hurricane season is off to an early start this year.


  9. #389
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    137
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingguy View Post
    You meant Oda right - too many combinations.
    Chan has pulled an Oda quite a few times as well.
    As far as I know he's done it at least 3 times(2008 Worlds, 2010 Rostelecom Cup and 2012 GPF).
    He can say "I pulled myself." instead of "I pulled a Nobunari."

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •