Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    A program with a 1A can still be clean, it's just not the content that was planned.
    It was the short program where she singled the axel, so no.

vCash
    Erm... am sure Kiira Korpi is shaking to her boots... about the jumping content if she ever has to compete with Chan....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flipforsynchro View Post
    I'd rather watch every man in a competition fall on a fully rotated quad toe than a land a beautiful triple toe in place of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    And....I would rather see a jump attempted, rotated, and a fall instead of a "pop". To me that disrupts the program more than anything.
    Sorry, but this is just insane to me. At least a beautiful triple toe and a pop is landed upright and on an edge and the skater is still left, y'know skating.

I'm all for seeing skaters attempting their best and most difficult jumps, but it's figure skating, not figure butt-gliding.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CantALoop View Post
    .... not figure butt-gliding.
    But why can't we have butt gliding as an Olympic sport? You could have different levels for the length of the glide. And the judges would mark on the prettiness of the glide. Is the glide done on the full butt with no hands or feet on the ice? Of course in pairs there would be extra points for unison of the butt glide.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I can just see the BambThump4 (BmTh4? BbTh4?) on the protocol sheets.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    But why can't we have butt gliding as an Olympic sport? You could have different levels for the length of the glide. And the judges would mark on the prettiness of the glide. Is the glide done on the full butt with no hands or feet on the ice? Of course in pairs there would be extra points for unison of the butt glide.
    Classic.

Brings back memories of Sandy Roberts' commentary for Australian TV and his reference to double - cheek combinations.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    Classic.

Brings back memories of Sandy Roberts' commentary for Australian TV and his reference to double - cheek combinations.
    and "flat bag" when the guys landed in the splits in their floor routines
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

vCash
    Sorry, but this is just insane to me. At least a beautiful triple toe and a pop is landed upright and on an edge and the skater is still left, y'know skating.

I'm all for seeing skaters attempting their best and most difficult jumps, but it's figure skating, not figure butt-gliding.
    If I want to see gorgeous 3T's, I can go to my local club.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Put everyone on a luge track, that would be way more exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by flipforsynchro View Post
    If I want to see gorgeous 3T's, I can go to my local club.
    You can also see people fall at your local club, so what does that prove?

I don't think solo 3Ts should be the goal for elite skaters, at least not the men, but I do agree with those who said that if a skater pops a jump, doubles a triple, whatever, it does look better than a fall (unless you get to a Verner-like critical mass of pops). The question is how to best balance between rewarding difficulty and rewarding good execution, and nine-ten seasons into the current system, I don't think they've found that point yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Put everyone on a luge track, that would be way more exciting.

You can also see people fall at your local club, so what does that prove?

I don't think solo 3Ts should be the goal for elite skaters, at least not the men, but I do agree with those who said that if a skater pops a jump, doubles a triple, whatever, it does look better than a fall (unless you get to a Verner-like critical mass of pops). The question is how to best balance between rewarding difficulty and rewarding good execution, and nine-ten seasons into the current system, I don't think they've found that point yet.
    Yeah, but they're falling on doubles, not quads.

vCash

It takes skills to do "figure butt-gliding". At least I don't remember seeing one.

vCash
    Patrick Chan admits being 'intimidated' at Japan Open
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskati...g.html?cmp=rss
    Chan believes the lack of motivation is a normal process coming on the heels of winning back-to-back world titles.

"I guess you become numb to the feeling of accomplishing something. It's hard to explain," he said.

He said he was intimidated by the presence in Japan of Russian star Evgeni Plushenko and 2010 world champion Daisuke Takahashi, who both looked strong during practice.

"I was a bit surprised by how ready they were at the competition, I think i got a bit intimidated, I didn't give myself the benefit of the doubt," Chan said. "I went into my turtle shell, kind of hid from everyone, and didn't really commit to the programs, so I think that's why I skated the way I skated, which wasn't great."
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

vCash
    Okay, okay, I know this is gonna come off sounding wrong, but really, Patrick? You were surprised that Takahashi and Plushenko looked ready for a competition? What did you think, that they'd turn up half-baked?

vCash
    ^^ You like to read negativity in everything don't you misskarne?
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    ^^ You like to read negativity in everything don't you misskarne?
    It just sounds like a really odd thing to say.

vCash
    I don't see anything odd is that, as it's probably the truth , and he wasn't ready and on top of his game.....pretty obvious. I'm glad that he has his nose to the grindstone again.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    double post

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Chan said. "I went into my turtle shell, kind of hid from everyone, and didn't really commit to the programs, so I think that's why I skated the way I skated, which wasn't great."
    No, Chan, you were brilliant despite of that all falls.
    Last edited by EricRohmer; 10-18-2012 at 04:57 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EricRohmer View Post
    No, Chan, you were brilliant despite of that all falls.
    All I felt was how these falls take away people's attention to a program however fast everytime he gets up, and distract audience's concentration and focus on the program and make them lose interest in it and keep them from enjoy it, (how can a person enjoy it if you see 4 falls before your eyes during only 4minutes or so?) however well-constructed the program is, and in the end sadly audience don't feel the music or don't understand what the story is about and can never be happy. Sigh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxy View Post
    All I felt was how these falls take away people's attention to a program however fast everytime he gets up, and distract audience's concentration and focus on the program and make them lose interest in it and keep them from enjoy it, (how can a person enjoy it if you see 4 falls before your eyes during only 4minutes or so?) however well-constructed the program is, and in the end sadly audience don't feel the music or don't understand what the story is about and can never be happy. Sigh.

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast