a suburb of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
    vCash

Question Skating after bunion surgery

Is it possible?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki Lee View Post
    Is it possible?
    Can you give some more details? How extensive was the surgery, what kind of recovery time, what does the doctor recommend, etc. etc.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash

haven't had bunion surgery yet...considering the possibility.

I am curious about others' experience with this situation. I am also interested in alternatives to surgery.

I didn't know there was more than one type of surgery.

warmly,
    Nikki

vCash
    What I meant was, how much surgery there was would probably depend on what state the bunion was in.
    I don't have any specific experience, but with any kind of operation that might affect how or whether you can skate afterwards, tell the doctor(s) that's what you'd like to do and see what they say. You could also try consulting with a sports medicine clinic or a sports physiotherapist.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    I have a huge painful bunion, but the doctor told me I'd not even be able to go to work for 3 months, let alone skate.

My solution for dealing with the pain from pressure in the skate is Orajel or something similar. I rub some on /around the bunion area and I'm ok, though when I take off my skate the release of pressure does make it start to hurt, so then I either deal with it or put more pain reliever on it.

vCash

Thank you for the replies.

I am going to a sports medicine clinic. The bunions are the result of pounding the pavement in high heels when I was in my late teens, looking for work. Now it's decades later, and I am paying the price.

Once I can get my foot into the boot, I am fine on the ice. Thank goodness. I am exploring options.

For some reason, after my last colonic, my bunion got all better! Don't understand why, and am aiming for that again!

vCash
    I'm ignoring my bunions. They were caused by my skates, and now I have to have custom boots to accommodate them. But they don't hurt, so, although my feet aren't pretty, I don't see the need to have them corrected. I don't want to be off the ice that long.

vCash
    Exactly the same here - the bunions were caused by my skates. My bunions started showing up when I was only in my 20s and I never wore high heels or toe-pinching shoes... other than my skates.

There's a point to be made for parents of young skaters, because this issue starts developing when the skating starts. Make sure their skates fit properly right in that area of the foot. I think it gets overlooked because people are busy thinking about toes pinching and heels slipping.