vCash

Question for computer experts

When all else fails, ask FSU and usually the question gets answered, so here is my last ditch effort to get a document printed.

Here is the scenario.

I completed the Russian visa application on line, following all the instructions, including those for printing the completed application. I am supposed to convert it to pdf using Acrobat 7, which I did. Neither the original document nor the pdf file showed the last 1/3 page of the form. It printed only the first 2 pages.

Also some of the questions had 'No' answers through a drop down menu. They appeared as blanks on the print out. I asked the visa company (Visa central) if this was normal, and they said no, the print out should look just like the form I see on the screen.

I realize this is not complete information for anyone to give me advice on how to resolve this, but any ideas would be welcome. I am totally at a loss. If I cannot apply for the visa or the consulate (or the visa company) does not accept my application in its current form, I will not be able to go to Russia at all (I would be OK with it if my money was refunded, but I don't think it will be).

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    First question--what browser are you using?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    First question--what browser are you using?
    Here at work I am limited to IE8. At Kinko's I used Mozilla Firefox and I was not able to edit the document (it did not print the whole document either). Neither browser printed the 3rd page.

At home I use MFF, but I can't do it at home because my softwares are outdated, and I don't have a printer either, so I have to do this either at work or at Kinko's.

So the short answer to your question is IE8. I assume we have the latest version of IE.
    Last edited by Vash01; 05-17-2013 at 12:34 AM.

YEAH!
    vCash
    First of all, make sure when you go to print, you have checked "all" for print range, instead of eg "print: pages 1 to 2." I'm guessing this isn't the problem, though.

It sounds to me like the pdf is defective (it only captured 2 of 3 pages and left some blanks) so naturally when you go to print it, it will only print out the first 2 pages.

Can you try going to the website and re-doing the application and the conversion to pdf, maybe on a different computer? There could have been something wonky.

Can you link to the website? I googled for a Russian visa application, but I only saw a one page application.

vCash
    I picked ALL for pages; I do this sort of thing all the time (printing/convrting files, etc.), so it's not unusual for me to select what I want- All or specific page numbers. I did it a million times, on 3 computers and 3 printers, spent at least $35 at two different Kinko's combined (at work it was free and I am hoping it won't jeopardize my job).

I called the help number for the visa company that is doing the visa for me. Last night I emailed them the pdf file that the form gets converted to. The form itself (before the pdf conversion) does not have the information (somehow after completing the form and clicking on 'print' gets rid of some information that was typed in), so the pdf conversion is correct.

I just got a response that it is the correct form and it is only two pages. Earlier, on my way to work I had already made up my mind to just go ahead and mail them what I have. I can live with the results ($300-$400 blown and no trip to Russia) if it does not work.

I believe the software has intended it to be only a two-page application, and it intentionally hides some of the answers. There is no other explanation for it. There are more than 41 questions to be answered, and some answers can be very long, e.g. how many trips you made abroad in the last 10 years, with specific dates, and it was a long list for me. Fortunately they limited the education and employment segments to only two each, or that would have been a very long list also. I don't mind answering even 200 questions, but as an end user I like to see in print what I typed into the form. I believe that the software is written in a way that does not print everything. For example, one of the questions was about which consulate the application would be taken to. I had clicked on San Francisco, but that did not appear in the print out. Instead, at the top there was a fine print that it would be submitted in SF. No mention of the date which I had entered. I hate quirky, sneaky softwares, and I think the Russian consulate has intentionally made the visa application confusing and difficult.

I have already lost more than half of my enthusiasm about visiting Russia at this point. I am just sick of the whole thing. There are many other countries in the world that I can visit and have a perfectly good time there. I intend to do that, regardless of what happens with this trip.

vCash
    this is a long shot, but when you print the original form, are you selecting the right paper type? If the form is from Russia, it might expect A4, and if you are printing Letter (which is a little shorter), it might cut something off? Then the conversion preserves that, obviously.
    If the form is designed for US travellers, it might even be a Legal format, thus expecting and even longer sheet of paper?

I would try printing the form to different paper types and see if that help. Save your 'print' and and pdf, if it doesn't have it all on the screen it will not have it printing, but if it does I am sure Kinkos can supply the right paper.
    good luck!
    Check out my baking blog at http://morethandough.wordpress.com, and like it on facebook. Thanks!

vCash
    They recommend A4 or 'Print letter' for printing. I had to adjust the document size to fit the paper size (even though their instructions advised against it). The difference in paper/document sizes was very slight (about 0.3 inch but it was enough to cut about 0.5 in from the bottom). I used 'Print letter'; 'A4' was not possible. It was definitely not a legal paper.

vCash
    May I also ask for help?
    i'm a bit of a luddite. Does anyone know why my computer is taking away the "remember my - number - log in name - etc on accounts, my Hotmail and twitter(which were completely disabled) , facebook and my preferences for TV guide - and who know what else I haven't discovered yet? Could this be related to those updates I am regularly subjected when I try to turn off my computer. or have I hit a wrong key soemewhere?.