Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash
    WOW.

I never knew she was doing 3axels like this in 1994!

Was anyone here at the 1994 Olympics practices? How were here 3axels looking then?!

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintuple View Post
    WOW.

I never knew she was doing 3axels like this in 1994!

Was anyone here at the 1994 Olympics practices? How were here 3axels looking then?!
    I was in Detroit for US Nationals, and I remember that practice like it was yesterday. Harding was amazing.

To answer your question, Tonya was landing triple axels in Norway, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz4STHUaVCk

vCash
    Thanks for that link, that was a horrible collision.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I think people don't give Kerrigan enough credit some times. I'm not a fan of hers either, but her SP in Albertville was superb, and she does some elements better than Yamaguchi. (Her Lutz combo, a nice double flip?, and a great double axel). She also had transitions, though not nearly as much as Yamaguchi who was just chockfull of those and had much better choreography.

I hated Kerrigan's LPs though, without a doubt. Tastes aside, you can't say she didn't try or practice or work on things. She had better stretch and line in her skating, her carriage was robotic, but it wasn't sloppy, and she moved with conviction (despite her crappy choreography). There were performances where Harding was just lazily moving half-assedly.
    I absolutely hate this program with a passion! It may very well be my least favorite Ladies SP of all time. The music was aboslutely atrocious and seemed to highlight her stiff lack of coordination. Her arm movements were just so distracting and wierd. She was really on in how she performed her elements, but that "choreography" is the stuff children's nightmares are made of.

I was never a fan of Kerrigan's skating, in addition to her being stiff, she clearly had no dance training whatsoever. She never learned how to properly transition into and out of movements, the result was that she would have such a jarring claymation-like quality whenever she went from one body position to the next. Harding, Bonaly, Slutskaya, Ito and all of the other "athletic" skaters of the 1990s were able to do this better than she was . She was also slow as molasses.

I will give her credit for skating well in 1994 when it counted and for working hard and giving her all in practicing and preparing.

It saddens me that Tonya Harding wound up whacking someone that she should have been able to beat on sheer quality and talent. Her work ethic was seemingly very poor.

vCash
    I think there was a bit of a backlash against both Tonya and Nancy for all the attention they were getting by the time of the '94 Olympics. People were ready to believe in Oksana and give her the benefit of the doubt. Nancy on the other hand was dubbed ungrateful and Tonya a thug.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    I was in Detroit for US Nationals, and I remember that practice like it was yesterday. Harding was amazing.

To answer your question, Tonya was landing triple axels in Norway, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz4STHUaVCk
    Amazing 3Axel.
    Now off topic : thank you for this link. Now I remember what an actress Oksana Baiul is...I stop because FSUers will think I'm an Oksana Baiul hater

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    However, she wasn't perfect and there were serious things she should have worked on that every skater works on. I'm going to say the minority opinion and say that I see why she was 4th at 1993 Nationals. She wasn't the same skater with attack (for many reasons, I'm sure) and her skating DID look dated in 1992 and 1993 compared to her competitors..
    I dont think she was impressive in the least at the 93 Nationals either, from many respects, but I still would have placed her on the team. The 2nd and 3rd place finishers that year were really weak. Lisa did a nice long in that it was mostly clean, but with only triple toes and a triple salchow, and she had bombed the short already. Kwiatkowski, never to be a judges favorite in the U.S or abroad, was at this point of her career nowhere near the competitor she would be in 96 for example, and was a very poor choice to send to Worlds. Both she and Tonya landed 2 triples with major errors both, so how can you give a journeywomen with a history of bombing and limited potential the benefit over Harding in that instance. Anyway we all see how Worlds went. Not that Tonya was any lock to do really well there, but if she somehow snapped herself into shape anything was possible, and atleast even at her worst she probably would finish no worse than about 8th and wouldnt embarass the U.S the way the other U.S women sans Kerrigan would around then. The fact 13 year old Kwan could come 2nd at the 94 Nationals, and landed atleast 2 more triples than any other senior lady at 12 at the 93 Nationals, and that a U.S representative (two different ladies) failed to make it out of the qualifying round in both 1993 and 1994 really says it all about the state of U.S women in that brief cycle.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I dont think she was impressive in the least at the 93 Nationals either, from many respects, but I still would have placed her on the team. The 2nd and 3rd place finishers that year were really weak. Lisa did a nice long in that it was mostly clean, but with only triple toes and a triple salchow, and she had bombed the short already. Kwiatkowski, never to be a judges favorite in the U.S or abroad, was at this point of her career nowhere near the competitor she would be in 96 for example, and was a very poor choice to send to Worlds. Both she and Tonya landed 2 triples with major errors both, so how can you give a journeywomen with a history of bombing and limited potential the benefit over Harding in that instance. Anyway we all see how Worlds went. Not that Tonya was any lock to do really well there, but if she somehow snapped herself into shape anything was possible, and atleast even at her worst she probably would finish no worse than about 8th and wouldnt embarass the U.S the way the other U.S women sans Kerrigan would around then. The fact 13 year old Kwan could come 2nd at the 94 Nationals, and landed atleast 2 more triples than any other senior lady at 12 at the 93 Nationals, and that a U.S representative (two different ladies) failed to make it out of the qualifying round in both 1993 and 1994 really says it all about the state of U.S women in that brief cycle.
    To be fair, the ladies' championship was skated relatively poorly by the entire field in the free skate.

A lot of the skaters said that the dry Arizona air was affecting their breathing (and thus, skating). Harding, with asthma, found it trying as well.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282 View Post
    I absolutely hate this program with a passion! It may very well be my least favorite Ladies SP of all time. The music was aboslutely atrocious and seemed to highlight her stiff lack of coordination. Her arm movements were just so distracting and wierd. She was really on in how she performed her elements, but that "choreography" is the stuff children's nightmares are made of.

I was never a fan of Kerrigan's skating, in addition to her being stiff, she clearly had no dance training whatsoever. She never learned how to properly transition into and out of movements, the result was that she would have such a jarring claymation-like quality whenever she went from one body position to the next. Harding, Bonaly, Slutskaya, Ito and all of the other "athletic" skaters of the 1990s were able to do this better than she was . She was also slow as molasses.

I will give her credit for skating well in 1994 when it counted and for working hard and giving her all in practicing and preparing.

It saddens me that Tonya Harding wound up whacking someone that she should have been able to beat on sheer quality and talent. Her work ethic was seemingly very poor.
    Totally in agreement. That SP of Nancy's was so awful, and she used it for at least two seasons. She had no ability to move to music, so Mary had her brother in law (?) write some craptastic synthesizer muzak expressly written for Kerrigan. In Albertville she had the best lutz combo and probably 2flip, but beyond that she was atrocious.

Was 1993 Nats in Phoenix? I know I was there wherever it was. Harding really needed to prove herself after the 92 season and her GPs for 93 season were abysmal. She showed up in practice, and even the SP (if you recall she got a reskate because her dress strap broke) with a strong 3lutz combo. I was sort of 'over' Tonya by that time, too many lost chances and not enough good skating. So I can understand why the judges hosed her. But Kwiatkowski?????? Under no circumstance should she ever have been placed on that world team. I forget her program, it might have been Slaughter in red or Rhapsody in blue, but who cares. Bobek was clearly on her way up and if Tonya didn't make it, then Bobek should have. I was never a fan of Ervin's but she skated cleanish, although with just toe and sal. And Nancy was quite terrible herself.
    I will not be ignored! -Me

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    To be fair, the ladies' championship was skated relatively poorly by the entire field in the free skate.

A lot of the skaters said that the dry Arizona air was affecting their breathing (and thus, skating). Harding, with asthma, found it trying as well.
    ...and smoking didn't help

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Forrest View Post
    Totally in agreement. That SP of Nancy's was so awful, and she used it for at least two seasons. She had no ability to move to music, so Mary had her brother in law (?) write some craptastic synthesizer muzak expressly written for Kerrigan. In Albertville she had the best lutz combo and probably 2flip, but beyond that she was atrocious.

Was 1993 Nats in Phoenix? I know I was there wherever it was. Harding really needed to prove herself after the 92 season and her GPs for 93 season were abysmal. She showed up in practice, and even the SP (if you recall she got a reskate because her dress strap broke) with a strong 3lutz combo. I was sort of 'over' Tonya by that time, too many lost chances and not enough good skating. So I can understand why the judges hosed her. But Kwiatkowski?????? Under no circumstance should she ever have been placed on that world team. I forget her program, it might have been Slaughter in red or Rhapsody in blue, but who cares. Bobek was clearly on her way up and if Tonya didn't make it, then Bobek should have. I was never a fan of Ervin's but she skated cleanish, although with just toe and sal. And Nancy was quite terrible herself.
    Agree on all you said. Atleast 1 of Bobek or Harding should have been on the World team that year, and no way should Kwiatkowski have been. The judges were smoking some strong stuff to place a 2 triple Tonia who didnt even skate well herself over both Bobek and Harding. One could see Tonia missing the cut at Worlds a mile away when she fared poorly even in small internationals at that point. I think Bobek payed the price for the trouble she got into at the World Juniors, along with her poor performances there. Like Tonya she wasnt going to get any gifts by that point.

vCash
    As I recall there was a flipflop in the standings and the ordinals were all mixed up for places 2-5. There wasn't a clear consensus on who was better than whom in that 1993 long program, or the two programs combined.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Forrest View Post
    It was not the best choreography ever, but Nancy's elements in Albertville were really good, if not the best of the day (the Lutz combo, the 2Axel, the spiral sequence...).

vCash
    I actually loved Nancy's triple lutz double toe in her short at Albertville. She did a splendid triple toe-triple toe at Worlds in Munich the year before as well.

To me the best triple axel by a lady ever was Tonya's at Skate America in the fall during the season of the Olympics, was that 1991? She did it right INTO the camera but you could still see the all out power into the jump and powerful flow exiting. Wowow.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567