Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    You don't love this performance, escaflowne9282?
    you rock so hard for somehow bringing in a reference to "hat full of stars"

briancoogaert- It was performed back when skating was on TV virtually every week (maybe less so than 1995, but still). It felt like we saw it every day though. The song is so cheesy. I believe one FSUr hated it more than everyone else (TASO?) and I'm pretty sure the term "Generic Female Ballad" originated from this number.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    That would be awesome.

Much as I love the question as an icebreaker, don't ask Harding what her most embarrassing skating moment was, or she may do a Lindsay Lohan and end the interview then and there.
    ...or do a Tonya Harding. She ended an interview with Connie Chung (what happened to her) once in 1994.

Crashing Nancy Kerrigan's float in the Disney Parade
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    What is the problem with that program, LOL ?
    I'm not fond of it, but I have the feeling this program is hated here, and I don't see why !
    Can someone explain to me ?
    It was just incredibly overused.Back in the days when skating was shown in the US very regularly, it was on literally every week. She kept it for at least two professional cycles, too. It didn't help that it was the most generic combination of all that is bland. While I've never been fond of her skating, Yuka has done much better programs than that as both a professional and an amateur .

Banned Member
    vCash
    What is the problem with that program, LOL ?
    I'm not fond of it, but I have the feeling this program is hated here, and I don't see why !
    Can someone explain to me ?
    Someone posted a link to the program. Now watch it 100 times in a row. Then you'll understand why.

Many skaters during the boom accepted every invite and skated to the same program over and over. But it seemed Yuka used this program for much longer. Like Kadavy and "It's All Coming Back to Me Now".
    I will not be ignored! -Me

vCash
    OK, I see now !
    But in France, we never saw this program ! That's why I didn't understand. Of course, I've watched it since (thanks to soulseek, rinkside, ...). But I didn't watch it 100 times because it's really not my favorite ! lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post

briancoogaert- It was performed back when skating was on TV virtually every week (maybe less so than 1995, but still). It felt like we saw it every day though. The song is so cheesy. I believe one FSUr hated it more than everyone else (TASO?) and I'm pretty sure the term "Generic Female Ballad" originated from this number.
    AHEM!!!

In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post

Oh I TOTALLY HATED THAT PROGRAM!!!! Possibly the most boring program I have ever seen! EVER! IN 18 YEARS OF WATCHING THIS SPORT THAT ISN'T ALWAYS THAT INTERESTING

And Esca, she kept it for THREE seasons

And NEVER was there even a hat. Heck, there was never even a star

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Taso View Post
    Oh I TOTALLY HATED THAT PROGRAM!!!! Possibly the most boring program I have ever seen! EVER! IN 18 YEARS OF WATCHING THIS SPORT THAT ISN'T ALWAYS THAT INTERESTING

And Esca, she kept it for THREE seasons

And NEVER was there even a hat. Heck, there was never even a star
    There was a semi- star . She had this totally unbecoming pageboy/pixie cut hairstyle ,too. (all the more reason she needed a hat)

Three seasons? I remember seeing it in 98-99 and 99-00. She used it after that?

I have to agree it was the most boring program ever. It was also probably the most generic song I had ever heard.
    I remember discussing our mutual hatred of this program back in the day.

Oh memories...

vCash
    The song is awful on first hearing and especially on repeat hearings, but the skating is divine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    The song is awful on first hearing and especially on repeat hearings, but the skating is divine.
    Yes !
    I guess that's why I probably never really pay attention to her musics !

vCash
    Wasn't the ISU also critical of some of Oksana Baiul's skills as well? I remember hearing this somewhere...?

vCash
    Oksana had technique problems on her jumps, but she always looked beautiful in the air. She also seemed to have trouble with doing difficult combination jumps.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Wasn't the ISU also critical of some of Oksana Baiul's skills as well? I remember hearing this somewhere...?
    I don't know about ISU, but for sure, she had critics from FSUers because she is bad at steps and doesn't have any other turn then the three turn...LOL

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    http://youtu.be/MdC5G7CDvbI (U.S. Nationals-triple axel)
    One of my all-time favorite LPs. Dick Button's enthusiastic commentary says it all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Oksana had technique problems on her jumps, but she always looked beautiful in the air. She also seemed to have trouble with doing difficult combination jumps.
    I don't know about ISU, but for sure, she had critics from FSUers because she is bad at steps and doesn't have any other turn then the three turn...LOL
    I read on the old rssif newsgroups that the ISU dinged several of her moves. But people always justified her flaws because she "skated with her hands". Flaws aside, I'll agree that she was very expressive.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Most of Oksana's pro programs reminded me of the show, Drunk Girls Gone Wild.

Blergh
    vCash
    I'm of two minds about Tonya. Tonya in the 1991 and before was a work of art in terms of her skills. Fast spins, huge, beautiful jumps, and brilliant power. Yamaguchi does not hesitate to say she was in awe of Tonya's jumps (saying they were better than Midori's), and there's a reason why Kwan loved Harding's skating.

However, she wasn't perfect and there were serious things she should have worked on that every skater works on. I'm going to say the minority opinion and say that I see why she was 4th at 1993 Nationals. She wasn't the same skater with attack (for many reasons, I'm sure) and her skating DID look dated in 1992 and 1993 compared to her competitors. She was stiff in places, didn't finish her moves, and looked sluggish with bad posture. Those things carry over to how the audience and judges perceive you. As much as I disliked Kerrigan's skating, she wasn't all bad and at least she put effort into it which is more than you can say about Harding outside a great competition. Every skater goes through times where coaches, judges, and their federations tell developing skaters how to improve their presentation and how to sell themselves for the judges. I remember reading that horrible Christine Brennan book and her writing about at some sort of developmental camp, all the skaters (including Yamaguchi) were listening and doing the workshops, which I'm sure they all thought benefitted them in some way. Tonya, was being the stubborn one who thought she didn't need to learn anything. Now, how true that story is, I don't know, but it's consistent with Tonya's attitude and behavior. It's not that she had to listen to everything or conform to every thing they wanted her to conform to, but I'm sure not everything was useless. There are some things judges simply appreciate in this sport and if one is lacking in an important area that their competitors are surpassing you in, it would behoove you to improve in those areas as well.

That said, I think the USFS, did a disservice in a way by playing up their rivalry and exaggerating Nancy's "grace" and "beauty" to Tonya's rougher image. I hate the sexist mold USFS and other federations force upon women skaters because it's incredibly behind the times and is artistically restrictive. I think that fed into Tonya's inferiority complex. However, I will admit that my own personal biases reflect skaters who finish off their moves, have great, coherent choreography, and emphasis line and musicality. I think if Tonya just showed some effort to improve some what in those areas, then she may have been backed up a bit more.

She had a lot of problems growing up, and I understand how that really forms the person one becomes, but some times she simply didn't appreciate anything and her attitude clearly affected her approach to skating. Explanations can't always be used as an excuse. Wasn't it Tonya who received a monetary gift from her fan club, didn't say an once of gratitude? I know a gift is a gift and one shouldn't expect anything in return, but it does show a sort of entitled, ungrateful streak she had. She is also responsible for her own downfall as well as the USFS and those surrounding her.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Another exhibition from Skate America 1986, ignoring the cheesy 80s music and weird camera effects, the quality of the skating itself is gorgeous: http://youtu.be/ZxiErGRY8E0

If there was no "whack heard 'round the world" what type of trajectory would Tonya's career have taken? Would she had stayed eligible after 1994, or turned professional? Skating wise, were her best days already behind her?

Yes, I realize very speculative question, but hey, this is the trash can.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Vera Wang's high fashion packaging wasn't enough to conceal that Kerrigan for me, was dull, stiff, nervous and passive.

It was only after her melt-down at the 1993 World Championships, that she finally had some fire and drive to her skating.

Blergh
    vCash
    I think people don't give Kerrigan enough credit some times. I'm not a fan of hers either, but her SP in Albertville was superb, and she does some elements better than Yamaguchi. (Her Lutz combo, a nice double flip?, and a great double axel). She also had transitions, though not nearly as much as Yamaguchi who was just chockfull of those and had much better choreography.

I hated Kerrigan's LPs though, without a doubt. Tastes aside, you can't say she didn't try or practice or work on things. She had better stretch and line in her skating, her carriage was robotic, but it wasn't sloppy, and she moved with conviction (despite her crappy choreography). There were performances where Harding was just lazily moving half-assedly.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast