Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poison ivy!

vCash
    I remember when I took prednisone that I felt very lethargic, and also overheated (this was December). I don't remember food tasting weird, though, but everyone reacts differently. I took it for a couple weeks - started out with (I think) 60 mg for a couple days, then 40 for maybe 4 days, then 30, then 20, then 10.

Is the prescription antihistamine Xyxal (pronounced zy' zall)? I take that occasionally for mosquito bites (I tend to get very large welts) and I took it for my allergic reaction to oxycodone after surgery for my broken leg (be grateful you don't have a cast and bandage wrap over the rash ). I have only taken 1 per day and I always feel very drowsy. With my bites, I tend to take it in the late afternoon/early evening (when I'm out watering and get the bites) so if I'm skating the next day, it's usually worn off by the time I skate (I take the next one when I get home). I'm not sure I'd want to skate with as much meds as you're taking. Be careful. You sure don't want a sprain or (God forbid) a break right before your wedding.
    Last edited by Debbie S; 10-10-2012 at 05:10 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    I remember when I took prednisone that I felt very lethargic, and also overheated (this was December). I don't remember food tasting weird, though, but everyone reacts differently. I took it for a couple weeks - started out with (I think) 60 mg for a couple days, then 40 for maybe 4 days, then 30, then 20, then 10.

Is the prescription antihistamine Xyxal (pronounced zy' zall)? I take that occasionally for mosquito bites (I tend to get very large welts) and I took it for my allergic reaction to oxycodone after surgery for my broken leg (be grateful you don't have a cast and bandage wrap over the rash ). I have only taken 1 per day and I always feel very drowsy. With my bites, I tend to take it in the late afternoon/early evening (when I'm out watering and get the bites) so if I'm skating the next day, it's usually worn off by the time I skate (I take the next one when I get home). I'm not sure I'd want to skate with as much meds as you're taking. Be careful. You sure don't want a sprain or (God forbid) a break right before your wedding.
    Not Xyxal. I want to say Hydroxyzine HCL? That sounds/looks right to me. The bottle is next to my bed at home and I'm at work, but... I'm going to try and take it 2-3 hours before bedtime tonight (when I get home from my skating lesson). Hopefully the timing will work better tonight.

As for the itching, I'm so itchy right now it's driving me crazy. I'm probably going to put a call into the dermatologist just to see what she says. I'll sure it's improving some (my face actually looks pretty good and isn't noticeable from a distance) but I have a new patch on my stomach and on my left arm. Hmm. That said, I just threw some cream on it and and am icing and feel some relief. Ice is a (temporary) miracle!

As for skating, I'll take it easy. I'm a super beginner so my I'm not doing too much and between new insoles that hurt and a lack of secure feeling thanks to the meds, I'm not going to be trying anything new today, that's for sure! Hopefully just surviving the group class (and not failing on back 1 foot glides...) and continuing w/ back crossovers in my private.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    For those of who've had poison ivy, is this (Sarah's) an extreme reaction? Sounds horrible. (((Sarah)))
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Best wishes for your wedding, and hope you are mostly itch-free by then. If you are going to be on prednisone for 20 days, be careful about staying out of the sun!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    Not Xyxal. I want to say Hydroxyzine HCL? That sounds/looks right to me. The bottle is next to my bed at home and I'm at work, but... I'm going to try and take it 2-3 hours before bedtime tonight (when I get home from my skating lesson). Hopefully the timing will work better tonight.
    Hydroxyzine is more of a sleep-inducing drug and not really an antihistamine, although the drowsy effects are the same. It's a common drug to give to patients after surgery. Definitely keep using the topical cream for itch relief.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    Hydroxyzine is more of a sleep-inducing drug and not really an antihistamine, although the drowsy effects are the same. It's a common drug to give to patients after surgery. Definitely keep using the topical cream for itch relief.
    That makes sense. I usually look up all meds I take but this time around... Oh well.

As for the sun, I'm going to do my best to avoid while on the meds. We're not going to the beach post wedding which now is a relief! I'm just not an indoor person so I hate being indoors!

vCash
    I had an allergic reaction to sitting on my deck for a half in the hour in the Pa. March sun (not hot) about 6 days after I had stopped Doxycycline (they thought I had Lyme's Disease, did not and stopped the drug, didn't think about the sun 6 days later since there were no sun directions warnings on the bottle). Woke up next morning with huge itchy welts all over my body. After my GP incorrectly said I had Pityriasis Rosea, I got to a Derm who agreed with my DH's diagnosis of the sun reaction. She prescribed Clobex (clobetasol propionate), a topical spray, 4 times per day (box says twice per day). Bingo. Most welts gone within two days. It says do not use on face, underarms or groin and avoid contact with eyes and lips, but I think that's because it is a spray). Ask your Derm?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    I had an allergic reaction to sitting on my deck for a half in the hour in the Pa. March sun (not hot) about 6 days after I had stopped Doxycycline (they thought I had Lyme's Disease, did not and stopped the drug, didn't think about the sun 6 days later since there were no sun directions warnings on the bottle). Woke up next morning with huge itchy welts all over my body. After my GP incorrectly said I had Pityriasis Rosea, I got to a Derm who agreed with my DH's diagnosis of the sun reaction. She prescribed Clobex (clobetasol propionate), a topical spray, 4 times per day (box says twice per day). Bingo. Most welts gone within two days. It says do not use on face, underarms or groin and avoid contact with eyes and lips, but I think that's because it is a spray). Ask your Derm?
    I'm on the clobetasol propionate ointment (the ointment evidently is fine on the face) 2x a day. My skin feels so strange and tingly when I apply it, but if it works... Maybe I should ask the dermatologist about applying more often? I'll give her a call in the morning.

I did go skating this evening and actually, that was the best thing for me. I sat in the cold rink for a half hour before my class in a t-shirt and froze, but it felt so good on my skin. My legs felt funky, but it was a nice, itch free hour and a half. MY coach was being super conservative during my private so that I didn't add any injuries to my list before the wedding, but it was a good decision to go. So good that I'm debating skating tomorrow at lunch just so I can be cold and itch free. Probably won't happen, but it's an idea.

I'm definitely finding that if I can keep my skin cool, I feel a lot better. Unfortunately, I'm naturally warm so staying cool is a challenge. Oh well, there are always ice packs.

Let's hope for improvement tomorrow!

vCash
    Progress?

I'm still super itchy, but the spots look very much improved! My left hand in particular. So maybe the prednisone is finally working! In the meantime, I'm forcing myself to freeze. I'm sitting in my house in a tank top freezing, but the air on my skin feels so good. I have a very thin/light/sheer sweater I'll probably wear to work later so I can still let the air get to my arms.

Anyway, just comparing yesterday vs today:

Hand yesterday

Hand today

The main difference is it feels like the swelling has gone down some. Maybe I'll actually be able to wear my ring this weekend!

vCash
    Lot's less puffy.

Really glad the cold helps it feel better.

vCash
    Well, I still have poison ivy and it still itches, but it looks a lot better and wasn't noticeable at all (if you looked, you could see it on my hand/arm, but the scarring wasn't terrible).

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...4/DSCN0208.jpg
    http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...4/DSCN0207.jpg

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    You looked great, Sarah. Congratulations!
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    Poison ivy is not noticeable at all. What a lovely bride you are! Congratulations to both of you.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Yup! Can't see anything! Congrats, and hopefully the itching will go away soon!

vCash
    I see nothing but a happy couple! Congratulations
    I'm honest, just not always in a nice way

vCash
    Can't see any poison ivy--that's a lovely dress!
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckSk8r View Post
    I see nothing but a happy couple! Congratulations
    Ditto! Congratulations!

vCash
    You are beautiful!

vCash
    So I thought I'd bring back this old thread because I have poison ivy. Again. I have an appointment with the dermatologist this morning so hopefully I caught it early enough and we can start the right treatment immediately.

At this point, I don't have a clue when or where I came in contact with poison ivy. Right now, it's mostly clustered on the right side of my face, but I have 2 bumps that appeared this morning on my left wrist and 1 bump on my right ankle. I had a tiny itchy spot on my face Saturday afternoon and by the middle of the night lots of itchy bumps. Now today, it's starting on my wrist/ankle. The only thing I can think of is that I got it from my horse. I was grazing him Friday evening and he slipped/spooked/jumped/who knows what and I took a part of him to my face, the same part of my face where the poison ivy appeared.

Anyway, it's still early so it's not bad or bothering me too much yet, but it didn't start out bad last time either. I've got some on my lips which hurts, but other than that, it's not terrible--it's just going to get worse. I have a tiny bit of ointment left over that I have been using until I get to the doctor today. For someone who doesn't go to the doctor much, I've had way too many doctor visits in the last 6 months (In addition to some other minor things, I was also kicked in the head by a horse in a freak incident 8 weeks ago and dealt with concussion symptoms for a good 6 weeks--they're finally mostly gone and I get bumped in the nose (so more head/face related pain) and now poison ivy). Thankfully nothing I'm dealing with has been too serious, but can I be healthy for a few months?

vCash
    Oh dear! Hope you get this resolved quickly. ((((Hugs))))

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast