Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

vCash
    Nadine, I love how you are always so positive. A breath of fresh air.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    I'm actually disappointed that after running her [Chen Lu] own rink and skating program with Denis Petrov for quite a few years (about 10 if I remember correctly), they still haven't produced any notable competitive skater.
    Considering the rate of entropy in competitive skating and how relatively few kids you get to begin with, you might be doing all the right things and not get a decent competitive skater. Maybe she wasn't lucky enough yet. (Or maybe she's not doing a very good job. Who knows. )

Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    They are imho the *hard copy*, the originals. Their technique, their speed, posture, presentation, everything, is just superb!
    Not any more, they are not. Not the current crop of top Russian pairs.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 04-18-2014 at 09:03 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Not any more, they are not. Not the current crop of top Russian pairs.
    Since this thread is for Chinese skating news, would you like to elaborate why you think so here? Russian pairs season 2014-2015

Is there anything in the Chinese media about the ice shows this week in Zhengzhou, China? I recognized John Kerr in Rippon's "Angry Milk Teas" Instagram photo - Sinead Kerr with dark hair now? Who are the others?
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-18-2014 at 09:27 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Since this thread is for Chinese skating news, would you like to elaborate why you think so here? Russian pairs season 2014-2015

Is there anything in the Chinese media about the ice shows this week in Zhengzhou, China? I recognized John Kerr in Rippon's "Angry Milk Teas" Instagram photo - Sinead Kerr with dark hair now? Who are the others?
    Matteo Guarise on the right and Nicole Della Monica on the left. I cannot recognise the girl in the middle though.
    A grumpy Canadian will always be nicer than a polite Milanese

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    Matteo Guarise on the right and Nicole Della Monica on the left.
    Of course! Grazie!

ETA the link to the detailed protocols (in Chinese) for the recent Harbin competition: http://chnfs.org/wp-content/uploads/...014_harbin.pdf
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-18-2014 at 11:39 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I'd love to see videos of the show in Zhengzhou. Are there any fan cams on youku/tudou?

vCash
    feraina (or anybody else), if you have the time, would you be so kind as to briefly summarise the issues between Chen Lu and the Chinese Federation that now result in her not working with national team skaters?

vCash
    This Chen Lu article was published last week: http://www.chinadailyasia.com/sports..._15130769.html
    Excerpt:
    For Chen Lu, China's first women's figure skating world champion, the way to continue a life on ice is helping provide a place for more youth to join the sport.

As the manager of the World Ice Arena, an upscale mall rink in Shenzhen, she was among the first in the country to run a commercial ice arena.

After retiring from competition after the 1998 Nagano Winter Olympic Games, where Chen claimed her second Olympic bronze medal, she performed with a commercial skating show in the United States until she was offered a chance to run an ice arena by property developer China Resources Land.
    The contribution by retired stars has been highly praised by the sports authority.

"All of them pave the way for China's winter sports and made great contributions to its development," said Xiao Tian, deputy director of the State General Administration of Sport. "They are still working for the popularity of winter sports in China and we respect them very much."

vCash
    feraina (or anybody else), if you have the time, would you be so kind as to briefly summarise the issues between Chen Lu and the Chinese Federation that now result in her not working with national team skaters?
    Hmm, all I know is hearsay, so don't quote me, or ask me for refs. Chinese skating fans have long talked about differences arising due to financial compensation and loyalty. There was talk of Chen Lu and Mingzhu Li disagreeing about how to divide up the earnings from medaling at international events, and of Li reporting Lu to the federation for planning on defecting. Lu was also going through puberty-related issues, and there were rumors that they had disagreements over how to deal with that. After their split, Lu had some really poor competitive results, and took a long while before getting into competitive shape again for her last hurrah.

More recently, just before the Olympics, Lu Chen posted on her Weibo (Chinese twitter) some criticism about corporal punishment, in reference to Mingzhu Li, and also linked Zijun Li and Kexin He in her posts -- during a time when Zijun was rumored to be having a difficult time with Mingzhu Li, and Kexin He was rumored to have had similar difficulties with Mingzhu Li the previous season. Kexin He posted to Zijun Li on Weibo something like "Last year it was me, this year it's you." Chinese fans expressed general surprise about the nature of Lu Chen's complaint (they thought it was more about money or personality differences, but she seems to be most upset about the corporal punishment aspect, which, by the way, was very common in the way Chinese coaches/masters disciplined disciples in that era, though Lulu with her western influence was probably more upset by it then than most); they were also generally critical about the timing of Lu's posts, because they came at a most distracting time, when the girls should have been concentrating on their on their own Olympic preparations. They thought it was rather immature and selfish.

By the way, back when MingZhu Li still lived in CA and went to China with Caroline Zhang for CoC, and she was asked by Chinese media about how things were with Lu Chen, she gave a very diplomatic response, saying something like they grew up together as coach and athlete, and still had much to learn, and that she would be happy to reconcile with Lu Chen. Chen was also interviewed, and gave a very cool response, saying something like she had nothing to say to Mingzhu Li. So Chen rebuffed Li back then.

When I watched the British Eurosport broadcast of Worlds, one of the commentators (Nicky, I think) mentioned that the reason Zijun Li failed to do a combo in the SP (she did 2A, 3F-no combo, 3Lz), when she should have trained the alternate scenario and known to added on a double after the 3Lz, is probably because of coaching issues. He said he observed her and her coach at practice all week, and found their interactions to be very odd. He thought there was definitely something going on there.

Zijun and Mingzhu Li were rumored to be having conflicts all fall -- it wasn't even clear if Zijun would be sent to the Olympics. She even trained with another coach for a while to get back into shape (she had various illnesses on top of puberty-related problems). So while she did eventually go back to the national team, it seems she and Mingzhu Li aren't back to being on really good terms yet. Whether Lu Chen's weibo posts to Zijun actually affected her Olympics performance or exacerbated her problems with Mingzhu Li is unknown, but certainly from Mingzhu's perspective, I would imagine she'd not be too happy with Lu Chen's interference in their affairs, or apparent attempt to drive a wedge between them.

Chen has not done anything official at the national level related to skating, except she commentated for CCTV at some major competitive event recently, I think it was the Olympics, or maybe it was last year's Worlds. In any case, she wasn't very good at commentating. It was clear that she wasn't familiar with the new COP rules, and hadn't done her homework about the current competitors.

Mingzhu Li supposedly signed a contract with the Chinese federation only through this past season, and it's not clear yet if she's going to continue teaching the ladies. Supposedly she would've gotten a bonus if Chinese women had placed top 10 at the Olympics, but obviously that didn't happen (a shame, really, since in the previous two years Kexin & Zijun both did place top 10 once each). Even without the bonus, this Olympics and Worlds must have been a disappointing outcome for everyone. Kexin is apparently quitting. Zijun is not quite herself and apparently not on great terms with Mingzhu. And two other young ladies, Xiaowen Guo and Ziquan Zhao, have both been rather inconsistent and not living up to their early promise. Only a very young girl, Xiangning Li (13), is doing relatively well, but at one month shy of 14, she just completed her first hard triple (3Lp) at a recent competition, so I don't know if she'll ever become competitive among the seniors. I can see how Mingzhu Li might be tempted to leave the Chinese team right now, with so little to work with.

vCash
    Chen has not done anything official at the national level related to skating, except she commentated for CCTV at some major competitive event recently, I think it was the Olympics
    I found this Feb. 2014 interview with Chen Lu about her trip to Sochi: http://www.wantinews.com/news-637063...r-Chen-Lu.html
    Reporter: You took a trip to Sochi What kind of tasks?

Chen Lu: Actually, I feel a little regret, because in the bid when, after all, I had a bid ambassador Sochi Olympic bid ambassador, I think Russia will be invited, but did not wait until the last so from this perspective,. I'm still a little lost. then I came here at the invitation of CCTV, figure skating commentary as guests. Another task is to lead our children Casarte ice five families come here to visit the stadium, feel the Olympic atmosphere.
    I wasn't aware that she served as an ambassador for the Sochi bid (the first foreigner to be invited).

vCash
    Mingzhu Li has left China ( back to the US I believe), her contract ended in April. It seems nobody knows who will coach the girls of the national team.After Kexin zhang retires, only Zijun Li and Ziquan Zhao stay in the team,so maybe the Fed won't seek for a new head coach but rather let these two keep training with Chengjiang Li or other local coaches.

Like feraina said, Lu Chen wasn't familiar with the new COP rules, and made a lot of ridiculous mistakes throughout. I don't think she is a very good candidate for the head coach job as she considered Maxim Kovtun is very artistic and expressive

vCash
    Hmmmm.. maybe Brian Orser as coach?
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. Ė Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Hmmmm.. maybe Brian Orser as coach?
    Oh, my God, that would be amazing. He'd get her to train properly and also improve her skating skills. But alas... I don't think the Chinese federation can afford Orser. Mingzhu Li hinted in some interviews that she took a significant pay cut to come back and coach the national team, out of patriotism. I'm afraid Zijun will have a very rocky road ahead now...

vCash
    I've said it before but I'll be so disappointed if Zijun falls by the wayside. Fingers crossed she can make it through this rough time. And agree that Orser would be fantastic.

vCash
    Oh, my God, that would be amazing. He'd get her to train properly and also improve her skating skills. But alas... I don't think the Chinese federation can afford Orser. Mingzhu Li hinted in some interviews that she took a significant pay cut to come back and coach the national team, out of patriotism. I'm afraid Zijun will have a very rocky road ahead now...
    I am under the impression that the Chinese Fed takes care of all training expenses just like in Russia. It helps to generate more elite athletes under this system compared to countries where the parents have to foot the training bills unless the athlete is 'lucky' enough to get income from advertisers to pay for their training bills. So it's really up to the Chinese Fed whether they are willing to pay for the training. I think Javi's and Hanyu's expenses were paid by their Feds? Zijun has great potential to advance a lot more. She is also blessed with very good looks.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. Ė Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Han YAN is scheduled to spend six weeks in Canada (May-June) following Yuna Kim's shows in Korea. I assume he will have new programs choreographed by Lori Nichol again? The "Han Yan Fan Van" Twitter account posted Han's off-season schedule plan: http://pic.twitter.com/bBsbfBlCAL
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-25-2014 at 06:37 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    I am under the impression that the Chinese Fed takes care of all training expenses just like in Russia. It helps to generate more elite athletes under this system compared to countries where the parents have to foot the training bills unless the athlete is 'lucky' enough to get income from advertisers to pay for their training bills. So it's really up to the Chinese Fed whether they are willing to pay for the training. I think Javi's and Hanyu's expenses were paid by their Feds? Zijun has great potential to advance a lot more. She is also blessed with very good looks.
    Although Hanyu was one of the Great Earthquakes victims, he/his family had to pay more than a half of his expenses before belonging to All Nippon Airways, I guess. That's one of the reasons why he skated in maaany shows.(His father is a high school teacher who is working in the affected area.) Anyway it might be the right time for Zijun to think about training out of China. Shame Kexin is retiring. Wish we'll see her competing for a couple more seasons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    Anyway it might be the right time for Zijun to think about training out of China.
    But does she get to make that decision?

vCash
    feraina, thank you so much for all of this background information. My guess is that Li Chengjiang is going to take over as head coach now and he'll probably get some assistants to help out.

I have no idea how well he can coach but I think that he was a fantastic competitor, very under-appreciated and under-marked. He was a good example of somebody who showed programs in character of the music, could move in time to it, yet that never got reflected in the presentation mark, probably because of a lack of a balletic and classical style.

As for Yan Han, I don't think that Lori Nichol has played to his strengths particularly well when choreographing his programs for this season. I would have preferred to see somebody else work with him (and the Ladies) for a change.

As for Zhang Kexin, I am sorry to say but I really hope that she does retire. She doesn't seem to enjoy skating at all and I can't recall another skater who would show such a complete lack of projection and performance skills. She doesn't seem happy and it might be for the best to move on to something different.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I have no idea how well he can coach but I think that he was a fantastic competitor, very under-appreciated and under-marked. He was a good example of somebody who showed programs in character of the music, could move in time to it, yet that never got reflected in the presentation mark, probably because of a lack of a balletic and classical style.
    This. I'm still wuzrobbing him from 2003 Worlds.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast