Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

vCash
    Hao Zhang said in interviews in Sotchi that he intends to compete until 2018 with Cheng Peng. I think he did say before, when he just started skating with her, that he just intends to "train" her as a pair skater. But it sounds like he changed his mind (or the Federation made him change his mind ;-) ) But maybe his injuries (he had shoulder problems) got better once he had a smaller partner than Dan Zhang plus he is having success with Cheng Peng, so that might be a motivation for him to carry on.

vCash
    Well, Peng will have to find another partner sooner or later, unless she intends to retire at 20, which is probably the latest Zhang can possibly last. I know Zhang said before the Olympics that he would like to skate not only in this Olympics (this was even before the Chinese pairs team was set, as they still had to compete against S/H in a domestic comp to settle who gets the 2nd spot after Pang/Tong), but I didn't realize that he said in Sochi that he plans to skate with Peng until 2018. Anyone got a link?

vCash
    Berton Hotarek paired in 2009 and came both from singles and

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by npavel View Post
    Berton Hotarek paired in 2009 and came both from singles and
    He was skating with another italian girl before Berton. She was weaker.

vCash
    Sui/Han were great at 4CC but Nationals are the second competition in a row after Worlds where they seem to have imploded. I am worried that the little height difference between them might end up breaking them up. It would be a real shame because they have 'the spark' in their skating. Although they don't appear to be very happy recently. Maybe they didn't adjust to the new training environment too well?

At this rate Yu/Jin are well on their way to become China's number 2 (or even eventually number 1) team. They are very consistent, have very good chemistry and quite good attention to detail. All they really need is more projection and energy and choreography with a little more style and character. But they're almost soup.

Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Does anyone know if Shen is coaching with Zhao? I've seen him with skaters, but not her. Maybe she wants to stay home with her baby girl for the time being?
    I remember reading something about her involvement and helping the pair teams with expression, girls with throws, etc.

My guess would be that she maybe isn't doing that in a full-time capacity yet because of taking care of the baby. Long-term, I'd expect her to coach alongside Zhao Hongbo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Is there another (working) link on YouTube? I'd like to watch this. TIA!
    Sylvia, YouTube has blocked all the videos including contents of OG. So I tried to re-uploaded the cuts to Tudou.

Yan Han's Interview before Sochi Olympic Games

Another interview after Sochi (also with En subtitles): FengYunHui Inverview - Yan Han and His coach 2014.02.19

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Sui/Han were great at 4CC but Nationals are the second competition in a row after Worlds where they seem to have imploded. I am worried that the little height difference between them might end up breaking them up. It would be a real shame because they have 'the spark' in their skating. Although they don't appear to be very happy recently. Maybe they didn't adjust to the new training environment too well?
    Well, Sui has been going through a period of puberty growth and injury, so they lost a lot of training time, and at least one of her injuries is rumored to be rather serious and treatment of it has been delayed because of the Olympic season. So we'll have to see what they look like once they are healthy and strong again. 4CC shows they are still capable of skating well, and the judges still reward them for it.

And of course, they took all the heat from Yao Bin and the rest in the competition with P/Z for the Olympics spot. They went from China's pairs darling from pre-injury two seasons ago and their coach's top team, to suddenly #3 and missing out on the Olympics this season. This must have been an emotionally and physically exhausting season for them, so I think it's not surprising that they didn't do well here. I mean, what other country even has a major domestic comp by this time of the season?! Everyone else is on vacation or working on next season's programs. I don't know why the Chinese federation has to have a second national's in April every year that prevents the athletes from either resting/recharging or getting an early start on the next season.

Next year is going to be a nail-biter again, because with Y/J aging out of juniors, there will suddenly be four good pairs teams vying for one worlds spot. I don't think China has ever had more than 3 good senior teams at a time before, so they never had to decide which one to leave at home. It's going to be exciting, but also heart-breaking for at least one team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post

And of course, they took all the heat from Yao Bin and the rest in the competition with P/Z for the Olympics spot. They went from China's pairs darling from pre-injury two seasons ago and their coach's top team, to suddenly #3 and missing out on the Olympics this season. This must have been an emotionally and physically exhausting season for them, so I think it's not surprising that they didn't do well here. I mean, what other country even has a major domestic comp by this time of the season?! Everyone else is on vacation or working on next season's programs. I don't know why the Chinese federation has to have a second national's in April every year that prevents the athletes from either resting/recharging or getting an early start on the next season.

Next year is going to be a nail-biter again, because with Y/J aging out of juniors, there will suddenly be four good pairs teams vying for one worlds spot. I don't think China has ever had more than 3 good senior teams at a time before, so they never had to decide which one to leave at home. It's going to be exciting, but also heart-breaking for at least one team.
    Chinese pairs finished 5th and 6th at worlds, so that means that they will have three spots next year. Which one to leave at home - it usually sorts itself. One pair may go through growth spur or someone may be injured, or GP events discover that one of those pairs is much weaker than the others... four pairs usually nicely cover three spots.

vCash
    Chinese pairs will have 3 spots at 2015 Worlds in Shanghai (think "1" was a typo by feraina because same paragraph mentioned "heart-breaking for at least one team").

ETA: I really appreciate the Han YAN video links, iceflame! I've re-posted them in his fan thread in the Trash Can: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4241060
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-16-2014 at 09:42 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Title-less
    vCash
    I took the mention of "one worlds spot" to mean that the other two were spoken for. That said, I do not know who spoke for them, other than Zhang/Peng

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I took the mention of "one worlds spot" to mean that the other two were spoken for. That said, I do not know who spoke for them, other than Zhang/Peng
    I agree that Zhang/Peng should have their spot for sure. I think Sui/Han have also a pretty good chance of having their spot, unless both remaining pairs are clearly much better than Sui/Han. If one is better and one is exactly same as Sui/Han, they would probably choose Sui/Han because this team is known to judges and is likely to be scored better.

vCash
    I
    I also really like S/H and W/W. As much as Peng/Zhang have improved this season, I can't see them lasting until the next Olympics. If one believes Trankov, he said Zhang mentioned that he intends to teach Peng everything he knows and helping her to find a new partner. I think his experience and steadiness really helped P/Z to do so well in this olympic season, but I think the next quad probably belongs to S/H, Y/J, and W/W. I just don't know which guy Peng can skate with after Zhang... Maybe one of the male single skaters who have great presentation/SS and without reliable 3A/quad. Zhang He comes to mind (17), but he's still fairly short. Guan Jinlin is another possibility but he's almost 25. I don't know. There are just so few good male skaters in China to choose from, especially if they have to also be tall and young...
    Funny because I was starting to seriously think they should really do that...until I saw the beautiful first ever 4T that he landed in competition at the recent Chinese Nationals..

vCash
    Oops, sorry, I really meant 3 spots. I do think P/Z have 1 probably sewn up unless they are seriously injured or something. You have to give it to them both for speed of improvement and general consistency (this season). The Chinese pairs are weakest in sbs jumps. It looks like by now P/Z, S/H, and Y/J have by now stabilized their 3T, but they either don't attempt another triple, or attempt the 3S and fail (except the one success S/H at 4CC); W/W is not even secure with their 3T. I think Zhao is ambitious and wants the Chinese teams to challenge V/T for gold in 2018, and he probably thinks a second triple is a must. I think that's why S/H are being pushed to attempt the 3S this season, resulting in many pops and falls, and which seems to be sapping their confidence/energy from the rest of their program. I really hope that this is the right strategy and they'll manage to master the 3S soon! It's interesting that P/Z hasn't attempted the 3S as often this season and instead resorting to 2A -- to me it either means they are not as successful as S/H in practice, and/or the training plan for them isn't as long-term.

vCash
    Oops, sorry, I really meant 3 spots. I do think P/Z have 1 probably sewn up unless they are seriously injured or something. You have to give it to them both for speed of improvement and general consistency (this season). The Chinese pairs are weakest in sbs jumps. It looks like by now P/Z, S/H, and Y/J have by now stabilized their 3T, but they either don't attempt another triple, or attempt the 3S and fail (except the one success S/H at 4CC); W/W is not even secure with their 3T. I think Zhao is ambitious and wants the Chinese teams to challenge V/T for gold in 2018, and he probably thinks a second triple is a must. I think that's why S/H are being pushed to attempt the 3S this season, resulting in many pops and falls, and which seems to be sapping their confidence/energy from the rest of their program. I really hope that this is the right strategy and they'll manage to master the 3S soon! It's interesting that P/Z hasn't attempted the 3S as often this season and instead resorting to 2A -- to me it either means they are not as successful as S/H in practice, and/or the training plan for them isn't as long-term.
    I don't know if Zhao is fixated on the 3S or if he needs to be ... Let's not forget Stolbova/Klimov just won Oly/World silver with 2A and without 3S, same for S/S (although they do two 3Ts in LP). There are different ways to win.

Title-less
    vCash
    article link:
    全国花滑冠军赛李子君折桂 闫涵退赛宋楠男单登顶
    http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2014-04-...17118538.shtml

Yan Han was injured and didn't compete

vCash
    Well, Sui has been going through a period of puberty growth and injury, so they lost a lot of training time, and at least one of her injuries is rumored to be rather serious and treatment of it has been delayed because of the Olympic season. So we'll have to see what they look like once they are healthy and strong again. 4CC shows they are still capable of skating well, and the judges still reward them for it.

I love reading your posts, feraina, you're so knowledgeable about all the Chinese pairs, but especially my faves (& it seems yours as well) Sui & Han.

I especially noted your comments on Sui going through puberty? That makes me think she is in fact only 16 yrs. old, not 18, as reported on her wikipedia the discrepancy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sui_Wenjing

Whatever the case, it is the 4twist that interests me the most, as both Sui and Julia Antipova do the 4twist with their respective partners. And if Sui is going through puberty now I think Julia will as well since she's only 16 yrs. old herself. It makes me wonder if both pair teams will still maintain their fabulous 4twists???? Or if their elements will suffer once puberty is over for the both of them....

More fascinating information, thanks feraina!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clairecloutier View Post
    I don't know if Zhao is fixated on the 3S or if he needs to be ... Let's not forget Stolbova/Klimov just won Oly/World silver with 2A and without 3S, same for S/S (although they do two 3Ts in LP). There are different ways to win.
    Firstly, I don't think Zhao is only aiming for a silver, so being as good as S/K wouldn't be good enough (plus S/K is improving very rapidly as well!). There was a long interview with him about it a couple months ago. He wants the gold back from the Russians, and he seemed to think that one arena where the Chinese pairs may be able to claw back some advantage is the technical side. He mentioned 4tw (already regularly attempted by top Chinese pairs) and 4th (previously attempted by some but apparently more to come soon). I don't recall if he said anything specific about a 2nd sbs triple, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's in the plan as well. S/H and P/Z both skated several LP this season, especially S/H, with sbs 2S -- they're clearly training for the long-term, since S/H have a very reliable sbs 2A. S/H did land a beautiful sbs 3S at 4CC, though they said afterwards in the interview that their success rate is not that high in practice. Now that the Olympic season is out of the way, I'm sure they will be drilling on the 3S and other technical elements soon.

Of course, where the Chinese pairs are really weak is presentation, though the PCS for the top teams have sky-rocketed since Zhao/Shen took over last summer. Y/J won ahead of the various Russian junior pairs this season often because of their PCS edge, a real novelty after trailing so far behind in PCS in the previous seasons. And W/W looked very polished and synchronized at CoC after just a few months of training with no prior pairs experience for girl Wang. So I have no doubt that S/Z are emphasizing the presentation aspect as well, and there's no one better in China to be coaching this aspect anyway. There is just so little tradition of "artistic" skating in China, and the only "artistic" skater prior to S/Z was Lulu, who, because of her spat with the Chinese federation, isn't at all involved with the training of athletes on the national team. I'm actually disappointed that after running her own rink and skating program with Denis Petrov for quite a few years (about 10 if I remember correctly), they still haven't produced any notable competitive skater.

Title-less
    vCash
    Is Lulu still in Shenzhen at a mall rink? If so it may be hard to produce high level skaters.

vCash
    Yes. But it's a pretty good rink. With a serious skating academy.
    http://www2.isiasia.org/modules/AMS/....php?storyid=4
    I have a friend who coached there for a while.

Not all mall rinks are terrible. The La Jolla Figure Skating Club is based at the UTC Mall Rink here in San Diego, and it has a lot of serious coaches/skaters. Off the top of my head, Rachael Flatt used to skate here.
    http://www.lajollafsc.com/

vCash
    Firstly, I don't think Zhao is only aiming for a silver, so being as good as S/K wouldn't be good enough (plus S/K is improving very rapidly as well!). There was a long interview with him about it a couple months ago. He wants the gold back from the Russians, and he seemed to think that one arena where the Chinese pairs may be able to claw back some advantage is the technical side. He mentioned 4tw (already regularly attempted by top Chinese pairs) and 4th (previously attempted by some but apparently more to come soon). I don't recall if he said anything specific about a 2nd sbs triple, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's in the plan as well. S/H and P/Z both skated several LP this season, especially S/H, with sbs 2S -- they're clearly training for the long-term, since S/H have a very reliable sbs 2A. S/H did land a beautiful sbs 3S at 4CC, though they said afterwards in the interview that their success rate is not that high in practice. Now that the Olympic season is out of the way, I'm sure they will be drilling on the 3S and other technical elements soon.

Of course, where the Chinese pairs are really weak is presentation, though the PCS for the top teams have sky-rocketed since Zhao/Shen took over last summer. Y/J won ahead of the various Russian junior pairs this season often because of their PCS edge, a real novelty after trailing so far behind in PCS in the previous seasons. And W/W looked very polished and synchronized at CoC after just a few months of training with no prior pairs experience for girl Wang. So I have no doubt that S/Z are emphasizing the presentation aspect as well, and there's no one better in China to be coaching this aspect anyway. There is just so little tradition of "artistic" skating in China, and the only "artistic" skater prior to S/Z was Lulu, who, because of her spat with the Chinese federation, isn't at all involved with the training of athletes on the national team. I'm actually disappointed that after running her own rink and skating program with Denis Petrov for quite a few years (about 10 if I remember correctly), they still haven't produced any notable competitive skater.
    Another great informative post, thanks feraina.

I agree that it's going to be a battle between the Russians and the Chinese for the top spot, but I've always had a weakness for the exemplary Russian tradition in not only pairs skating, but also their gymnastics of old. They are imho the *hard copy*, the originals. Their technique, their speed, posture, presentation, everything, is just superb! Nobody can touch the Protopopovs nor G&G, the greatest pair teams of all time. jmho.

That said, it's going to be exciting to see each country push one another to be the very best, which in turn will push other countries to just try to keep up ~ quads galore!!!!

BRING IT ON!

Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast