Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    Title-less
    vCash
    P/T talked about the wish for the new year -- to skate two clean programs at the Olympics.
    http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2013-12-...06960831.shtml

(And the rest of the article is about skating boots--Tong had to put his old blades on his new boots.)

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Yes, that's what I meant, and I'm still amazed that they pulled it off
    I wonder whether they will have P&T doing both the team programs, considering the individual pairs' short program is so close to team LP? At their age, that's asking a lot.
    It's not certain that China will make it to the Final. The four teams competing for the last two spots in the Final, unless there are epic meltdowns and/or breakout performances, should be CHN, JPN, ITA, and FRA. (Given their overall weaknesses, GER [especially without S/S], UKR, or GBR hasn't much of a shot.) Since it's unlikely that CHN would have a shot at a medal even if they make the Final, the Chinese Fed is better off having Peng/Zhang get their feet wet in the FS. He's been there; she hasn't.

If they are capable of doing all 4 Sochi events, more power to them! They should stay for Worlds. In fact, they have a reasonable chance to regain their World title if S&S and V&T retire or simply choose not to do Worlds.
    I'm sure the Chinese Fed has done the math: the WC Pairs team wins 30K. Big drop-off for silver (19.5K) and bronze (12K), but still a lot of shekels and an almost certain three spots for next year, as long as he's healthy.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    They should stay for Worlds. In fact, they have a reasonable chance to regain their World title if S&S and V&T retire or simply choose not to do Worlds.

They won the last two post Olympic Worlds.

vCash
    Absolutely!

vCash
    I would be so sad for Sui/Han if they can't go to WC either.

vCash
    zijun is back!!! posted a video of jumps and run thru. fed would be crazy not to send her to sochi, unless we start talking serious politics...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jjane45 View Post
    zijun is back!!! posted a video of jumps and run thru. fed would be crazy not to send her to sochi, unless we start talking serious politics...
    video link? what are her programs this season?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jjane45 View Post
    Do you have a link please? I am dying to see it? But is it a practice or a monitoring session? I ask because, in a former case, she could simply have recorded 10 run-throughs and cherry-pick the best one to submit to the Federation.

But Li placed 7th at last year's Worlds and is / has always been the Chinese Federation's darling. I doubt politics will work AGAINST her.

vCash
    Good news about Zijun Li! As for Sui/Han, while I have greatly admired them through the years, I fear that, injuries aside, she has grown too tall for Han. She is such a talented and charismatic performer, though, that I would not be surprised to see her back next season with a tall partner, with whom she'll form a team that will challenge for a medal at the 2018 Winter Games.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    I'm having a hard time getting the links while on my phone, hopefully someone else can post the links soon. zijun went thru major growth spurt AND reportedly major conflicts with coach li. let's hope everything works out in her favor.

vCash
    ^^Please please please post the links soon! I really hope she's healthy again. She's one of my favorite newbies and I really hope she's well enough to compete in Sochi...she earned it last year.

vCash
    This was posted at Golden Skate by xiangfuzi, in Li Zijun's Fan Fest thread:

Quote Originally Posted by xiangfuzi View Post
    A video of FS parctice (devided into tree parts)was posted on weibo this afternoon. Zijun landed all the jums(3F3T, 2A3T,3Lz,3S2lo2lo,3F,3lo,2A) and looked faster than ever.

And Zijun said: "This video is sent to all people who care about me. I want to tell you, though in sick, I did not give up, has been working hard in silence!"

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjU2MDI2Mjk2.html
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjU2MDI2Nzg0.html
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjU2MDI2ODUy.html

So glad to see these videos! This is the best New Year's gift for Zijun's fans like me.

vCash
    Well, she has grown a lot! And she seems to have ideal skating conditions. The whole rink for herself?

vCash
    So Luan Bo was shown the door with both Sui/Han and Yu/Jin being moved to Zhao Hongbo. I'd say I was sorry for her but given what we heard about her coaching practices, as well as her teams' lack of a complete package, I'm glad.

What is bothering me is why Shen Xue isn't listed as a coach given she also works with those teams.

vCash
    Wow she grew a lot. A bit above 5 foot 4 inches now! As much as I love Zijun, that FS leaves a lot to be desired transition wise and the the jumping passes don't match the music well :\

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I agree about Luan Bo's coaching practices, if what is reported is accurate, but I remember seeing Yu/Jin a few years ago and being struck by an elegant quality and a Pairs togetherness that took S/Z and P/T a long time to get and the Zhangs never had.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    New interview with Bin Yao, Hongbo Zhao:
    http://sports.cntv.cn/2014/01/01/VID...20878624.shtml
    Yao is only personally training Pang/Tong, the rest are being trained by Zhao. Yao was asked if there is definitely no chance for a gold medal (for China) in Sochi. He said, very unlikely, but you never know... Given V/T's record in the last two years, they seemed unbeatable, even if they made mistakes, and yet they lost to the Germans at the Grand Prix Final. He said this is a great outcome, it means that there might still be something to fight for. When asked what final advice or tips he'd like to give Zhao, he said actually he set himself three rules, and one of them is not to interfere. Unless Zhao asks him specifically for advice, he normally doesn't say anything.

Zhao said there is still room for Peng/Zhang to improve technically in the next quad, not only 4twist, but also 4throw jumps. He also said Sui/Han have been practicing really well, but for some reason often come up just a little short in competition. When asked about his plan for the next quad, he thinks V/T will likely not retire after Sochi. He said in the 2014 world championship, following Sochi, he would like to see P/Z and S/H reach the top level, placing 4th or 5th, although ice is slippery... And then he hopes (the Chinese teams) can follow V/T closely in the four WC's preceding the 2018 Olympics, and then hopefully fight for the gold there. He said he doesn't know if it's do-able, but these are his goals. He also mentioned Yu/Jin and Wang/Wang as promising young pairs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I agree about Luan Bo's coaching practices, if what is reported is accurate, but I remember seeing Yu/Jin a few years ago and being struck by an elegant quality and a Pairs togetherness that took S/Z and P/T a long time to get and the Zhangs never had.
    That is true. Their programs were meh and they lacked projection but their unison was always very impressive.

vCash
    Even though it was not mentioned in "the plans," I still think that Sui will have a new taller partner for the next quadrennium...beyond 2014 Worlds. Han appears to be in pain nowadays when lifting Sui. I don't see that duo going very far up the ranks, sorry to say.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    So 4CC entries are up. the national champion Boyang Jin is NOT being sent. I think he's ready to wet his feet in senior competitions but oh well....

In pairs Wang & Zhang are going instead of the Wangs x2.

In Dance Im happy to see three new teams going but I wondered what happened to YU& Wang.

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast