Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash

Zhang is quite young, still not yet 18,

Quote Originally Posted by jjane45 View Post
    No articles in sight for ZHANG Kexin's withdrawal from grand prix series. It's rumored that she is not injured. There were reports back in the summer that she had conflicts with her coaching team and considered retirement... #hearsayinfo
    It will be a shame to see her retire that early, but as I talked to some of the former national team members, who are now off NT, but coaching at the newly established mall skating rinks around the nation, training in the national team is prestigious, but very tough, with stories that will scare a lot of westerners. .....

vCash
    What is really going on there

vCash
    I had nearly forgotten that China has two spots for this up coming Worlds. It's very unfortunate that the first time in nearly two decades that they can send two ladies that they only have one healthy or able enough to go.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lainerb View Post
    I had nearly forgotten that China has two spots for this up coming Worlds. It's very unfortunate that the first time in nearly two decades that they can send two ladies that they only have one healthy or able enough to go.
    China needs overhaul of its archaic system/organisation/administration for Skating sports, across the nation.
    It should take a page from Chinese swimming, which improves itself, tremedously to be at par with the rest of the advanced nation, witness the London Olympic results, after disbanding its static nationa team concept, sent all the talented coaches to swim centres in wealthy/prosperous areas of the nation, to train and select the rising masses of young talents from affluent families/parents.
    1. The static national team tubular model of development stifles realbeneficial competition, additions to benchstrength for international competetion.
    2. The western pyramidal model should be in place under nationa reform program, to broaden skating sports throughout the rich areas of the country.
    What happend to ZhangKeXin, as guessed by some, problem wth her coaches, administration, is probably right.

vCash
    The constant and frequent injuries suffered by Chinese skater/atheletes, is a by-product of the archaic training system, at their national team setup, in Beijing.
    All national team members has/had injuries galore on their bodies, as explained by retired members. They all arose from intensive training methods, unscientific in many cases, from coaches, intent on producing results from their sparse charges, in the cloisted environment of the national team. Although they looked pampered, well taken care of, with rounded education/training, in their curriculum; like foreign language, modern dance, ballet lessons, outside tutuors........the coaches do use physical punishment to produce results from the youngsters, a traditional Chinese training tradition, like the martial arts kung fu masters inflicted on the students.

Title-less
    vCash
    I don't know what you said is true or not, but if skatng training is going to be like swimming training, I suspect it needs to be popular like swimming first--and I have a feeling it isn't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor View Post
    China needs overhaul of its archaic system/organisation/administration for Skating sports, across the nation.
    It should take a page from Chinese swimming, which improves itself, tremedously to be at par with the rest of the advanced nation, witness the London Olympic results, after disbanding its static nationa team concept, sent all the talented coaches to swim centres in wealthy/prosperous areas of the nation, to train and select the rising masses of young talents from affluent families/parents.
    1. The static national team tubular model of development stifles realbeneficial competition, additions to benchstrength for international competetion.
    2. The western pyramidal model should be in place under nationa reform program, to broaden skating sports throughout the rich areas of the country.
    What happend to ZhangKeXin, as guessed by some, problem wth her coaches, administration, is probably right.
    You do realize swimming is a no impact sport? Unless you hurt your shoulder by 'over doing it' most people use swimming as a way to get back into exercise. The top Russian skaters have all had injuries, it comes with the power and pounding skating takes on your body, no matter what country you are from, including the west.

vCash

Injuries in Swimming Can Be As Serious as Skaters' Variety

Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    You do realize swimming is a no impact sport? Unless you hurt your shoulder by 'over doing it' most people use swimming as a way to get back into exercise. The top Russian skaters have all had injuries, it comes with the power and pounding skating takes on your body, no matter what country you are from, including the west.
    Swimming in the breatstroke e.g. produces undue stress on the tendons and ligaments of the knee, with the special kicking method of the leg movement. Breastroke swimmers can wind up with walking problems, swollen knee joints........

Talking about training in atheletic sports, there are vast differences between 'scientific' based training methods, (based on scientific motion studies, biological mechanics, and psychological studies etc.) and straight forward intuitive dedicated repeating more and more to get results method, so favoured by the Chinese Coaches (I am Chinese myself, and had experience with Chinese swim coaches with my own children's training) One coach told my son to do a 1km breastroke exercise, which is very dangerous and damaging to the kids' knees.......... Therefore the Canadian, or Australian coaches are more successful at producing top swimmers, even for the Chinese wonderkids, who used Australian methodology in their training regimes.

Pain killers is the typical solution to overtraining by skaters coached in the more for better method (e.g. top Chinese skaters or skaters from other countries I don't know of). I talked to Patrick Chan and his mother, they never said they had to use physical punishment, in his early training period, or overtraining (Johnson is constantly warning Patrick of burning out e.g.) in his present period as method used for the still world champion skater. So in a way, Kathy Johnson is more attentive to the excesses of repetitive training regimes.

vCash
    Just saw that Kexin didn't even compete in Nationals. Is she really gone?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    Just saw that Kexin didn't even compete in Nationals. Is she really gone?
    She's probably done.

Cross-posted from K&C:

Only LI Zijun and ZHAO Ziquan will attend a Senior B event (Volvo Open Cup) in January.
    It's speculated that YAN Han will not be sent to 4CC, not even a chance. Don't ask for the logic behind it.

vCash
    Did they give a reason why Kexin did not participate? Politics? Does she feel not favoured compare with Zijun perhaps?

Zijun is China's #1 from the recent nationals, but from my understanding, China has always expected her to be #1. This clip was back in 2010 looking on wards to 2011 (Year of Rabbit). Where she she was with her coach Li MingZhu at the Chinese new year program by CCTV. They each were asked to choose a word to summaries their hope for the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASMAnCQaFVM

Zijun picked the word "Fulfillment", Mingzhu picked "Work", the two word together makes the term "Success". They have certainly had achieved great success for China 2 years on.

I was really impressed by Zijun at Cup of China and NHK this year. Especially how she achieved her goal (inspired by her fav skater Yuna Kim perhaps) in putting out serious senior content at her senior debut. She achieved 2nd highest TES in both SP and LP including a 3T3T in the short, and a 3F3T in the Long and went for a lutz. Her 3F3T also were the highest score jump in the competition. Most importantly, she brought China's best success in the ladies for over a decade. The future seems bright with this one, and I can also see great potentials in her artistry with more power, strength and stamina and hopefully she continue to get motivated enough to sustain her condition.

This is Zijun's National GrandPrix performance performance.
    SP
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDUyNzMxMjk2.html

LP
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDUzMjAwNjEy.html
    Last edited by os168; 12-24-2012 at 10:25 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Did they give a reason why Kexin did not participate? Politics? Does she feel not favoured compare with Zijun perhaps?

Zijun is China's #1 from the recent nationals, but from my understanding, China has always expected her to be #1. This clip was back in 2010 looking on wards to 2011 (Year of Rabbit). Where she she was with her coach Li MingZhu at the Chinese new year program by CCTV. They each were asked to choose a word to summaries their hope for the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASMAnCQaFVM

Zijun picked the word "Fulfillment", Mingzhu picked "Work", the two word together makes the term "Success". They have certainly had achieved great success for China 2 years on.

I was really impressed by Zijun at Cup of China and NHK this year. Especially how she achieved her goal (inspired by her fav skater Yuna Kim perhaps) in putting out serious senior content at her senior debut. She achieved 2nd highest TES in both SP and LP including a 3T3T in the short, and a 3F3T in the Long and went for a lutz. Her 3F3T also were the highest score jump in the competition. Most importantly, she brought China's best success in the ladies for over a decade. The future seems bright with this one, and I can also see great potentials in her artistry with more power, strength and stamina and hopefully she continue to get motivated enough to sustain her condition.

This is Zijun's National performance recently. Her FS had an upgraded content of 2A+3T from her NHK content.

SP
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDUyNzMxMjk2.html

LP
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDUzMjAwNjEy.html
    She is so pretty! Loved the part with young Zijun sitting down and writing down the words, with Coach Li looking from behind. Is Chengjiang Li also coaching her as a team?

How they write foreign names in Chinese is always interesting, e.g., in that video Czisny, Kostner, Tuktamysheva, Sotnikova. I wonder if they simply pick the letter phonetically closest to the original syllable, or consider the meaning as well in choosing among the letters with similar sounds.

I like her programs, especially the LP. It’s age appropriate, and she attacks the routine without looking hurried despite busy choreography. She has huge potential and is beautiful to watch. I think she can make top ten at the coming worlds if skates well like she has done so far this season.

BTW, is Bingwa Geng injured, or no longer competing?

vCash
    GENG Bingwa is injured.

vCash
    Well Zhang Kexin placed well enough at Worlds last year to qualify 2 spots for Chinese ladies this year. They can promote Li Zijun all they want, but this shouldn't affect Zhang's participation at Worlds (unless she is injured)?

re: Yan Han, is he not sent to the senior B simply because he has already achieved a minimum score from last season and needs more time to heal for 4CCs? It's such a waste to send him back to Junior Worlds again. Guan Jinlin and Wu Jialiang has been given enough chances to prove themselves and didn't.

vCash
    No official sources, but it's rumored that ZHANG Kexin wants to retire. Politics and all.

It's also speculated that TPTB wants YAN Han to wait his turn until he ages out from the juniors. International medals, albeit junior, will be considered "political achievement" of the federation officials. YAN Han's chances of getting 4CC is minimal.

/rant

vCash
    It's also speculated that TPTB wants YAN Han to wait his turn until he ages out from the juniors. International medals, albeit junior, will be considered "political achievement" of the federation officials. YAN Han's chances of getting 4CC is minimal.

/rant
    What are they NUTS? What has Han got to gain by going to JW again? He already won the darn thing! In fact, I'd say he's got more to lose in terms of international reputation. He only just beat Farris last year while landing a quad (and Farris was quadless), what will happen this year (if Farris goes to JW and not SW as is possible)? It is even possible that a Brown armed with a 3A could overtake Han (his PCS are already high, raising the TES could make a difference)! And Maxim Kovtun - the guy skates like a Senior (4T-3T!!!!), but he's still a Junior, and with only one spot for Russian men at Senior Worlds, he'll likely turn up at JW. Han could even finish not on the podium. How is that a good thing?

I like Han. I find this frustrating.

vCash
    No official sources, but it's rumored that ZHANG Kexin wants to retire. Politics and all.
    It's hard to think about retirement from such a young skater. I thought she had such great potential.

vCash
    China does have 2 ladies spot for senior Worlds thanks to Zhang Kexin so I hope she would at least go to Worlds with Li Zijun before she thinks about retiring. And if China keeps 2 spots for Sochi, there really is no reason why she shouldn't want to keep training for that. No other Chinese girls are on the level of Zhang Kexin and Li Zijun anyway.

Regarding the men, Song Nan will go to senior Worlds, but since Jin Boyang is also skating well in the junior scene, he is as much if not a more secure bet for a medal at junior Worlds. IMO this would be a great transitional year for Yan Han to go to 4CCs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Regarding the men, Song Nan will go to senior Worlds, but since Jin Boyang is also skating well in the junior scene, he is as much if not a more secure bet for a medal at junior Worlds. IMO this would be a great transitional year for Yan Han to go to 4CCs.
    Yes, why waste an opportunity to build reputation in senior ranks.

vCash
    China's 4 Continents team includes Sui/Han, Kexin Zhang, and Han Yan!

Men:
    Nan SONG
    Yi WANG
    Han YAN
    Alternates: Jinlin GUAN, Jiaxing LIU

Ladies:
    Bingwa GENG
    Zijun LI
    Kexin ZHANG

Pairs:
    Qing PANG / Jian TONG
    Cheng PENG / Hao ZHANG
    Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN
    Alternates: Wenting WANG / Yan ZHANG

Dance:
    Xintong HUANG / Xun ZHENG
    Xiaoyang YU / Chen WANG CHN
    Last edited by Sylvia; 01-18-2013 at 02:33 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast