View Poll Results: Who was the greatest Ladies singles skater of the 1980's?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Katarina Witt

32 59.26%
  • Anett Potzsch

0 0%
  • Linda Fratianne

0 0%
  • Denise Biellmann

0 0%
  • Elaine Zayak

0 0%
  • Kira Ivanova

0 0%
  • Rosalynn Sumners

0 0%
  • Midori Ito

19 35.19%
  • Elizabeth Manley

1 1.85%
  • Debi Thomas

2 3.70%
  • Jill Trenary

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dred View Post
    The Katarina/Debi rivalry came 4th on Time Magazine's Top 10 list of Figure Skating rivalries

http://www.time.com/time/specials/pa...968197,00.html

http://www.time.com/time/specials/pa...968192,00.html

The list was

1 Yu Na Kim and Mao Asada
    2 Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan
    3 Brian Boitano and Brian Orser
    4 Katarina Witt and Debi Thomas
    5 Alexei Yagudin and Evegni Plushenko
    6 Michelle Kwan and Tara Lipinski
    7 Scott Hamilton and Scott Cramer
    8 Jamie Sale and David Pelletier vs. Yelena Berezhnaya and Anton Sikharulidze
    9 Linda Fratianne and Anett Poetzsch
    10 Todd Eldredge and Timothy Goebel

The list was compiled at the time of the last Olympics. I dont think Kim and Mao would top the list now. It would probably be Tonya & Nancy, the Brians, and then Kati & Debi.
    I think Kim and Asada should def top the list. You are talking about two nations worth of peoples with long history and bitterness, plus in the age of instant online media and internet, the fight taken to a whole new level. The only thing missing is wacking the knee thing (If there was ever a case, it will be hiring an assasin, not bashing knee - thanks God for not happening). Plus the rivalry start from junior years into the Olympic. Thats a lot longer than Tonya and Nancy.

vCash
    I wouldnt have Tonya and Nancy anywhere near that high. Apart from the scandal of the clubbing it wasnt an amazing rivalry. Nancy came out ahead only twice before the 91-92 season, then Nancy won every meeting starting in early 92 onwards. On a personal level apart from the skating nobody thought much about it until the clubbing either.

Eldredge and Goebel on the list, LOL! You have to be kidding me.

Hamilton vs Cramer? Pretty good rivalry for a couple years but did anyone really care that much at the time.

Yamaguchi and Ito should definitely be on the list, how can you leave that off in favor of the aforementioned.

Lambiel vs Joubert was a pretty good rivalry over the years.

Klimova & Ponamarenko vs the Duchensays was a hot rivalry for awhile, and Davis & White vs Virtue & Moir should definitely be on there.

vCash
    Just ordered the ESPN documentary, The Diplomat, which is now available on DVD through Amazon. It's never been shown on TV where I am, so can't wait to see it

Some YouTube clips:-

Clip 1, Clip 2, Clip 3, Clip 4
    Last edited by Maofan7; 11-29-2013 at 07:58 AM.

vCash
    ^I've been looking for it too!

Thanks for the thread - a great read

Witt is an interesting one to me. 80's skating is a bit before my time and actually doesn't really appeal (In comparison to say, gymnastics, whose golden days were the 80's In my humble opinion - I've seen more gym from that decade than I have from the last ten years ) I don't think some of it has aged particularly well Aside from Ito, Thomas and Witt, not much else has stood out to me, but I might be being rather unfair in this conclusion.

Was Witt technically superior to her rivals? More artistic? A better competitor? How did she win so much? On so many of the vids on youtube, so much of the commentary boils down to raving over "charisma" or other such things. I certainly see she has "It", yet still, such a quality remains subjective and intangible. Still, I loved her 87 LP the best. I was just wondering if any of the field were attempting more difficult programmes than she?

vCash
    In her early years near the top from 82-85 Witt was easily one of the most athletic skaters and strongest jumpers. By the Calgary Olympics she looked technically regressed-oudated. She had a huge reputation by then from all her previous wins though, and she always rose to the occasion when she had to, like the 87 Worlds LP where she skated lights out after her competitors had all performed superbly.

vCash
    Last edited by Maofan7; 11-30-2013 at 06:28 AM.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I think that was arguably Witt's best SP ever. For the first time, she showed a true understanding of choreography and musical interpretation. Artistically I thought it was the #1 SP that evening.
    ITA, better than Oksana.

Banned Member
    vCash
    My vote would be for Elaine. She changed everything, Katarina changed nothing.

vCash
    If you go by medals and dominance it would be Witt, but if you go by impact and changing the sport it would be either Ito or Zayak, probably Ito 1st, and Zayak a strong 2nd.

vCash
    Memorable moments - Katarina Witt then and now

http://sports.yahoo.com/photos/memor...645-slideshow/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12