View Poll Results: Who should go to Junior Worlds?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nathan Chen

31 91.18%
  • Jimmy Ma

11 32.35%
  • Nicholas Vrdoljak

1 2.94%
  • Chase Belmontes

2 5.88%
  • Tony Lu

1 2.94%
  • Jordan Moeller

8 23.53%
  • Kevin Shum

0 0%
  • Shotaro Omori

11 32.35%
  • Jason Brown

12 35.29%
  • Josh Farris

11 32.35%
Multiple Choice Poll.

vCash

US Men for Junior Worlds

Which 3 men should go to Junior Worlds?

vCash
    I'm confused, Jason and Joshua are already competing in Sr, I thought they couldn't go back to Jr anymore. Anyway, why would they go back to Jr?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyintheAM View Post
    I'm confused, Jason and Joshua are already competing in Sr, I thought they couldn't go back to Jr anymore. Anyway, why would they go back to Jr?
    Junior Worlds is an age division, not an 'ability' division. Jason and/or Joshua would probably be glad to go to Jr. Worlds if they do not qualify for Sr. Worlds. Sr. would obviously be their preference though. Many skaters who skate as seniors internationally, for many countries, still go to Jr. Worlds.

I didn't vote- because I'd like Jason to go to Jr. Worlds if he isn't on the "A" team, but I'd prefer he goes to the Olympics and Sr. Worlds- so I don't want to say he "should" got to Jr. Worlds.

I do think it would be a travesty if 3 senior men go over Nathan Chen though. He's a domestic/international Junior who deserves the shot. Due to his young age, he's been waiting patiently to get to the big time- his ability allowed him to go years ago. Our other top Jrs are very good too, but Chen is incredible.

vCash
    There's no way 3 senior men get chosen over Nathan unless he falls like a dozen times in his free skate. Besides Jason and Josh, I think the only "senior" man who would be eligible is Omori (who hasn't competed senior at Nationals yet but would have this year), and he was injured and not skating at Nationals, and definitely would not warrant a bye to Jr Worlds above Chen.

vCash
    Haha- that's a good point. There aren't 3 senior men to go.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by haribobo View Post
    There's no way 3 senior men get chosen over Nathan unless he falls like a dozen times in his free skate. Besides Jason and Josh, I think the only "senior" man who would be eligible is Omori (who hasn't competed senior at Nationals yet but would have this year), and he was injured and not skating at Nationals, and definitely would not warrant a bye to Jr Worlds above Chen.
    Lukas Kaugars is skating senior and is age-eligeable

vCash
    Ahh, forgot about him, thanks!

vCash
    I would be more inclined to say that there's really no point in Josh or Jason going back to Jr Worlds even if they miss the Sr Worlds team. Josh has been twice and medalled both times (champion last year) and Jason's been three times already and medalled twice. The only reason you'd send Jason back would be for him to win too and that would just be crazy. (Not to mention, neither of them would have a Junior version of their FS...)

This is where the age-eligibility NEEDS to be married to some level stuff. I mean, Jason has a GP medal, and he could go back if he wanted. heck, last season Artur Gachinski could have gone to Jr Worlds if the RFSF had been so inclined, because he was still age-eligible...and yet he has a Sr Worlds medal! It's time to stop this madness. It's time to implement a rule that says once you've competed on say, the Senior GP, or at two Senior Championship events, you can't go back.

I mean, remember the joke that was Denis Ten continuously going back to Jr Worlds after he'd been to the OLYMPICS?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I would be more inclined to say that there's really no point in Josh or Jason going back to Jr Worlds even if they miss the Sr Worlds team.
    Isn't there prize money though. Training expenses have to be paid.

I think a rule that says if you've been to Sr. Worlds you are ineligible for Jr. Worlds is appropriate. (Can you still go to both in the same year, or was that eliminated?)
    Maybe even Sr. championships- but I'd think there are some 4CCs skaters who have a much better chance of success at Jr. Worlds than Srs.

vCash
    I can't find the decisions of the ISU council from last spring but I'm sure that a rule change is being made for next season that would only allow a Junior skater to skate in one senior event and still maintain their junior eligibility - once they had competed in two senior events they would not be able to go back.
    When watching live I like everyone to skate clean - but on television the occasional trainwreck can be fun.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingguy View Post
    I can't find the decisions of the ISU council from last spring but I'm sure that a rule change is being made for next season that would only allow a Junior skater to skate in one senior event and still maintain their junior eligibility - once they had competed in two senior events they would not be able to go back.
    Ah, I thought that rule was already in place, that's why I didn't get Josh and Jason's inclusion in the poll. Maybe it was something talked about that didn't prosper?

vCash
    If Josh and Jason don't make the Worlds/Olympics team, they might get sent to 4CC instead. I think the only way we see either of them at JW is if they don't make the Worlds, Olympics, OR 4CCs team AND they agree to compete at JW. For someone like Josh he might do it just to have another chance to up his SB score for GP slots next season, his current SB is quite low and he might want another competition under his belt this season in order to raise both his World Standing and hopefully SB especially where he pulled out of COR. Jason I tend to think will at least make 4CCs, even if his placement at Nationals isn't stellar, he's earned it with his skating thus far this season, plus some of the big names like Abbott or Aaron maybe have turned 4CCs down already regardless of Nationals results because they are just focused on the Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyintheAM View Post
    Ah, I thought that rule was already in place, that's why I didn't get Josh and Jason's inclusion in the poll. Maybe it was something talked about that didn't prosper?
    I don't think it passed, at least not yet. If it it did, then Elena Radionova can't compete at JW either, or Anna Pogorilaya.

vCash
    Also I think Chen is probably a lock at this point. He might be able to win even, Jin won't score that high if he doesn't land 3 quads like he did at the JGPF and he usually has SP issues and low PCS. Pitkeev is good but Chen could beat him with 2 clean inspired skates I would think (Pitkeev doesn't have a quad yet).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Jin won't score that high if he doesn't land 3 quads like he did at the JGPF
    I didn't see JGPF- JGP skaters are landing three quads? Holy crap.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I didn't see JGPF- JGP skaters are landing three quads? Holy crap.
    Yes. Watch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDhjlDoYs50

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    WOW. And all in one program! I was thinking 1 short, 2 long. OMG- if he can get through his growth spurt, that is going to be a guy to watch!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    WOW. And all in one program! I was thinking 1 short, 2 long. OMG- if he can get through his growth spurt, that is going to be a guy to watch!
    Yeah he has pizazz too, his EX to Michael Jackson was really funny, if he did competitive programs like that his PCS would be much higher I bet. And he is 16 so he might not grow a ton more, perhaps he just has the Oda build.