Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Don't pay it.

First of all, that's a high price for that service especially in the Nashville area. If you think your resume needs to be professionally written, shop around and find someone whose work you like and don't just take them.

Second, it just sounds like a scam. "Oh, we can get you a job but it would be so much easier if you'll just give us some money".

Third, I have had extremely poor experiences with recruiters redoing my resume. They usually screw it up. Oh and they've all reformatted it for free. It's standard for recruiters to reformat a resume to their own standard format, no charge because they *want* it in their format. They put it in their format whether you want them to or not.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

Watch me move
    vCash
    The recruiting firms I know only offer to redo your resume if (a) they have a specific posting that they think you would be a good candidate for, and (b) they think your application would have a better chance if your resume was revised. And they recommend the changes to you and let you make them yourself. I agree with MacMadame, this offer of "service" sounds shady and overpriced. Especially if it's just to be listed in their "candidate pool".
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ross_hy View Post
    I did, however, get an e-mail from a recruiting firm that does localized recruiting here in Nashville. I qualified to be listed in their candidate pool, but they suggested I do some re-formatting and make some changes on my resume. They offer this service; it's about $150. How does this sound to you? A good opportunity from a company that would help me get a job? Or something shady? I should add that just being listed wouldn't cost me anything, they only charge for things like resume and cover letter help, LinkedIn updates, photos, etc.
    I guess the question is whether they provide a legitimate resume editing/writing service.

I think $150.00 is expensive for a resume, especially for a flat rate. I don't trust flat rates, as I charge by the hour myself. The time a resume and cover letter takes depends on the content and length (i.e. one page versus two page resume).

It is not uncommon for me to charge $200 or more for a resume and cover letter. The cover letter usually take much more work.

But, I live in a far more expensive place than Nashville.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234