Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Badams View Post
    My kids watch Family Guy... But they are very well aware that it isn't real or appropriate.
    I approve!

I adore Seth MacFarlane and I LOVE Family Guy. I really like that SM pushes the envelope and doesn't try to be PC. His humor isn't for the easily offended, but he is a very, very talented man. Easy on the eyes as well. Giggity!

Although, obviously the format of the Oscars really isn't going to let Seth be Seth and he may not work well off a teleprompter with jokes that aren't his. We'll see. But this'll get me to watch the Oscars for the first time in years.

Kwanatic, I have his album too and I love it!!

vCash
    I am hoping they will have a song and dance number to start the show.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I don't get family guy. At all. People keep insisting to me that it's funny, I've watched several episodes (with people who were laughing) but it's left me completely bewildered. I do have a sense of humour I swear! Blackadder is one of my staples, I love Arrested Development, I can practically recite a couple of Eddie Izzard's shows... I even like weird stupid things like the Mighty Boosh. But I haven't even gotten a chuckle out of Family Guy. It just seems dumb to me. I feel like I'm missing out on some sort of cultural phenomenon since everyone seems to love it

Blergh
    vCash
    You should watch the episode of South Park where they totally parody (and criticize mercilessly) the show. It was pretty much on point.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    My dream host would be Seth Meyer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post
    I don't get family guy... It just seems dumb to me. I feel like I'm missing out on some sort of cultural phenomenon since everyone seems to love it
    It's not for everyone. It's crude, offensive, gross and sometimes just down right stupid, but I totally get that kind of humor. It's socially conscious too which is why it gets the attention it does. They touch on social, political and global issues that are relevant to society; if you pay attention you see that they slide a soapbox in there every now and then. The only thing is it's in a cartoon format with an idiotic legally retarded overweight man, an alcoholic intensely liberal dog, and a matricidal and potentially homosexual British baby.

vCash
    I don't get family guy. At all. People keep insisting to me that it's funny, I've watched several episodes (with people who were laughing) but it's left me completely bewildered. I do have a sense of humour I swear! Blackadder is one of my staples, I love Arrested Development, I can practically recite a couple of Eddie Izzard's shows... I even like weird stupid things like the Mighty Boosh. But I haven't even gotten a chuckle out of Family Guy. It just seems dumb to me. I feel like I'm missing out on some sort of cultural phenomenon since everyone seems to love it
    I really think it depends in when you grew up, he spoofs so many things from my childhood and teens.. I can't stop laughing. My kids laugh too, they just don't understand why it's funny, so I laugh at them laughing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I can see that this is obviously a move to get the kidz to watch.....but I suspect a lot of people (especially outside of North America) will be going "Who?" and not bothering to tune in.
    McFarlane's appeal to foreign markets isn't a major factor in their decision to have him as host. The US networks pretty much only care about US ratings. Relatively speaking, the money they get from overseas sales of this broadcast is nice, but not vital, when compared to the dollars they get from the ads run during the US broadcast.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    I'm with you. I find it vulgar and annoying and just not funny. If they want to be socially conscious and have a soap box, fine, but it can be done without the tastelessness.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12