Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    There is another American man ahead of him in the Croatia Cup at the moment, and it isn't Vincent Zhou.
    Yep, I noticed- but since Nathan's previous FS score was more than 30 points over Harrison's, I'd be pretty surprised if that lead stands, but this is skating so you never know.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    There is another American man ahead of him in the Croatia Cup at the moment, and it isn't Vincent Zhou.

I also seem to recall something a few years back about how Caroline Zhang was a shoo-in to win Junior Ladies at U.S. Nationals in 2007.
    As I mentioned in my post, Harrison Choate is competing as a senior at Nationals, so regardless of if he beats Chen at this JGP or is named to the JW instead of him, he can't be the one to take Nathan's title away from him at Nationals considering they won't be competing in the same event! I was talking about the junior men's field at Nationals, not the US men who are age eligible for junior competitions internationally but are competing senior Nationally (such as Brown, Farris, Choate). Of the US men competing as juniors domestically, Chen and Zhou appear to be the strongest by a large margin at this point (thought Yostanto and Omori do both have 3a).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by haribobo View Post
    The years that Dornbush won his silver and went to Worlds, there was no Weir or Lysacek in the mix- his skating at Nationals that year was exceptional, but he might've finished 4th anyway if Johnny and Evan were there. So there was more of a chance for him to break through. This year, not only are Johnny and Evan back and Ricky is still around, but Jeremy, Ross, and Adam are still around, and Armin, Keegan, and Max are skating great too...so unless Josh skates so well that he medals at Nationals and several of the "senior" guys bomb, he'll likely just be on the Junior Worlds team again.

As for who could defeat Nathan at Nationals, probably the poster meant Vincent Zhou. I'm not sure anyone else could barring some crazy fluke injury/loss of skill, but we'll see how the FS in Croatia goes...
    Fair point but IIRC, Dornbush didn't have a great SP in 2011, he was only 7th after the SP and scored like a 67 or something, so really he just had a great FS and was helped by Abbott's bombing the FS and Rippon's bombing the SP to wind up 2nd after all. Also, I'm not convinced about Evan's comeback atm. There's going to be a lot of competition regardless, I was just sort of ruminating possible scenarios.

vCash
    to clarify - when I said easily, I didn't mean "easily" per se. I meant that he isn't going to be an automatic winner and that there are a few other men that could take his title should he stumble.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12