Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: All Thing PBS

vCash
    Very good production. I, especially, loved Stephanie Blythe. I got chills when she began singing "You'll Never Walk Alone".

vCash
    I've been watching Mr. Selfridge, although I might have given it up a while ago if it hadn't become a sort of weekly ritual with some of my Facebook friends. Piven has exactly two expressions: smiling and not-smiling.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    I'm watching it; but, like many others, think that TBTB could have found a much better actor for the lead than Jeremy Piven.
    Why did they think him suited for the role?

vCash
    Twitter:

NY Philharmonic ‏@nyphil 21h
    Miss #Carousel? @LiveFromLC not showing in your area? @PBS has got you covered: http://video.pbs.org/video/2364999751 … #LFLC
    EDIT: Finally saw Carousel...WOW, loved this production! I agree that less is more...this spare production really put the focus on the characters and the music. I cried many times...just wonderful, wonderful singing.
    Last edited by dardar1126; 04-28-2013 at 11:37 PM.

vCash
    I was right...Mr. Selfridge is a much more interesting show with Jeremy Piven in a coma! Unfortunately, he's out of the coma by the end of the episode, so....

vCash
    Watched Bletchley Circle and liked it a lot. Thanks for the recommendations.

vCash
    I must be the only one who likes Mr. Selfridge.
    I look forward to it every Sunday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Latte View Post
    I must be the only one who likes Mr. Selfridge.
    I look forward to it every Sunday.
    Not at all; I really enjoyed it when it was on ITV. Started watching because Sam West was in it, but ended up enjoying some of the other story lines even more. Amanda Abbington for one is v. good in this.
    Agree that Piven was't the best casting call, but eh well. Still thought the show was good in spite of it.

Drawing Figures
    vCash
    I missed Carousel when it was on last Friday. It's a must see, so I have been watching it during my break at work!

vCash
    I missed Carousel this weekend , and heard that Kelli O'Hara is in it! I hoped it's re-aired soon. I definitely want to DVR this production.
    Last edited by paskatefan; 04-30-2013 at 10:20 AM.

vCash
    I like "Mr. Selfridge", although I liked "Call the Midwife" better. I get confused with all the characters on Selfridge, and I keep forgetting who's plotting against whom and who's on which person's side when. But I love the clothes....how dis those women keep all those white dresses clean? I'm not an acting critic but I did find the way Selfridge woke up from his coma and was immediately alert and coherent and able to leap out of bed and take a walk to the store a bit of a stretch, even if he did collapse in the street. And considering how much "work" the staff put into the store window (did they only do one?), I would have thought it deserved a little more exposure after the reveal. I couldn't wreally even see what it was - and then it was gone.

I'm a huge Rogers and Hammerstein fan but "Carousel" is my least favorite production of theirs. I find it depressing and that's the last feeling I want from a musical. I'm glad that PBS is presenting it, though.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

vCash
    Love PBS, although my crappy local PBS has a tendency to chack a lot of the literary/historical programming in favor of local junk or Monkees tribute concerts, so I haven't seen some of the stuff people mentioned. I love Call the Midwife and Bletchley Circle (am hoping that one will become a regular series). DVR'd Carousel, haven't watched it yet. I missed Mr. Selfridge, may try it on Netflix. Does anyone remember what I think was a PBS documentary series from the 90s called Dancing? I'd love to get on DVD. I've also been looking for an old Great Performances of Lubovitch's Bolero that was put out on VCR put I haven't been able to locate the tape. Love live from Lincoln Center, Great Performances, Masterpiece classics. I've also started to watch BBC America (unfortunately not in HD in my area), which has some wonderful dramas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    I'm a huge Rogers and Hammerstein fan but "Carousel" is my least favorite production of theirs. I find it depressing and that's the last feeling I want from a musical. I'm glad that PBS is presenting it, though.
    Rogers and Hammerstein dealt with some pretty serious subjects in their musicals. In Carousel it's crime, domestic violence and suicide. In South Pacific it's prejudice and racism. The King and I explores inter-racial attraction. Flower Drum Song confronts inter-generational and immigrant issues. They addressed many social issues in the relative safety of the musical.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    Rogers and Hammerstein dealt with some pretty serious subjects in their musicals. In Carousel it's crime, domestic violence and suicide. In South Pacific it's prejudice and racism. The King and I explores inter-racial attraction. Flower Drum Song confronts inter-generational and immigrant issues. They addressed many social issues in the relative safety of the musical.

And I'm so glad they stood their ground, insisting on keeping "Carefully Taught" in South Pacific! That song is so central to the show.

vCash
    I know that, but I still don't like "Carousel." I can watch all of the others over and over in any format - even bad community theatre/high school productions, but I cannot sit through "Carousel" - or even listen to the soundtrack - with any degree of enjoyment.

"Cousel" and "Rent" top my list of Least Favorite Musicals. It's a personal thing.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    Yes, but you don't get to the end of any of those with the feeling..."Whelp, that was nice, I'm gonna go slit my wrists now." Carousel is HIDEOUSLY depressing. I realize it's not based on an uplifting story, but yeesh, Miss Saigon has a more uplifting ending.

vCash
    If you think "Carousel" is depressing then beware watching "Showboat" performed with its original script. PBS had it on several years ago (live from the Paper Mill Playhouse in Milburn, N.J.) & I was crying at the end!

vCash
    While I'm a huge R&H fan (same goes for Lerner & Loewe), I'm not exactly crazy about the story line of the show. Nevertheless, I really love the music to it. Thank you so much for the link to the online video of the full production, which I watched last night. Still hoping it will be re-aired on PBS, so we can DVR it.

vCash
    Rogers and Hammerstein dealt with some pretty serious subjects in their musicals. In Carousel it's crime, domestic violence and suicide.
    The strong reaction that productions of "Carousel" often receive are indicative of how much social mores have changed; since the period in which the show is set, 1945, when the show was first produced, and now.
    That doesn't mean that the show shouldn't been seen.
    The lessons to be learned from it. are even more important and powerful than they were many years ago.

Domestic violence and our response to it, is still a terrible problem in our time.
    Theatre can/should provide history, object lessons, and food for thought.
    Carousel surely does that.

vCash
    So "Carousel" is the broccoli of musical theatre for me. I know it's important and good for me but I've tried it and I don't like it and I'm not likely to choose it when there are so many other shows I like a lot better.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast