Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: All Thing PBS

vCash
    The "Pride and Prejudice" sequel "Death Comes to Pemberley" is coming to PBS! It will air a three-part adaptation of the 2011 novel by acclaimed mystery writer P.D. James. It imagines the continuing lives of Jane Austen's Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy, married and with a murder to solve. PBS did not announce an air date.

Anna Maxwell Martin of PBS' "The Bletchley Circle" and Matthew Rhys of FX's "The Americans" will star in the BBC One project.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    The "Pride and Prejudice" sequel "Death Comes to Pemberley" is coming to PBS! It will air a three-part adaptation of the 2011 novel by acclaimed mystery writer P.D. James. It imagines the continuing lives of Jane Austen's Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy, married and with a murder to solve. PBS did not announce an air date.

Anna Maxwell Martin of PBS' "The Bletchley Circle" and Matthew Rhys of FX's "The Americans" will star in the BBC One project.
    Cool. Here's the IMDB page - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2951788/ Penelope Keith as Lady Catherine - what a hoot.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    The "Pride and Prejudice" sequel "Death Comes to Pemberley" is coming to PBS! It will air a three-part adaptation of the 2011 novel by acclaimed mystery writer P.D. James. It imagines the continuing lives of Jane Austen's Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy, married and with a murder to solve. PBS did not announce an air date. Anna Maxwell Martin of PBS' "The Bletchley Circle" and Matthew Rhys of FX's "The Americans" will star in the BBC One project.
    Hmm. I thought the book was very weak -- or rather, very uneven. The weakest parts being the murder mystery, which was ironic considering the author. But some of the best screen adaptations come from mediocre books, so it could end up being great.

And at the thought of seeing Penelope Keith again!

vCash
    Preview of Masterpiece Mystery!: The Lady Vanishes...airs Sunday 08/18:

http://www.wgbh.org/programs/The-Lad...pisodes/-46543

A young socialite (Tuppence Middleton) on her way home investigates the disappearance of a fellow train passenger (Selina Cadell), whom no one else seems to remember seeing. Joining in the search is an engineer (Tom Hughes) who has eyes for her.
    I'm interested to see this remake; I loved the original Hitchcock film (1938) with Margaret Lockwood, Michael Redgrave, and Dame Mae Witty.

vCash
    Twitter:

PBS ‏@PBS 4m
    Season 1 of Endeavour from @masterpiecepbs is now available for download on @iTunesTV! http://ow.ly/nMKyB

vCash
    Twitter:

PBS ‏@PBS 16m
    All aboard for @masterpiecepbs' thrilling adaptation of Hitchcock's "The Lady Vanishes." Hop on Sunday @ 9/8c http://ow.ly/nY2Xw
    (links to PBS YouTube promo video)

EDIT:

Masterpiece PBS ‏@masterpiecepbs 7m
    via @TheMortonReport: An interview with actor Tom Hughes on "The Lady Vanishes" and the upcoming "Silk" http://www.themortonreport.com/enter...ks-tom-hughes/ … #mysterypbs
    Last edited by dardar1126; 08-16-2013 at 08:36 PM.

vCash
    Anyone watching Churchill? This first part reminds me a lot of "Young Winston". Makes me think that movie was more accurate than many biographical movies.

vCash
    I love old period photographs. Here are 13 from around the time the Mr. Selfridge series was originally set:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalindo...edium=buzzfeed

13 Photos Of London Street Style From 1905-1908
    Long before photographers like Bill Cunningham and The Sartorialist were documenting street style, photographer Edward Linley Sambourne captured the Edwardian fashion of the city’s affluent Kensington neighborhood.

EDIT:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ailbhemalone...edium=buzzfeed

26 Haunting Photos Of The London Fog
    London was covered in fog at the beginning of the 20th Century, culminating in the Great Smog in 1952.
    Last edited by dardar1126; 08-23-2013 at 05:39 PM.

vCash
    Reminder that Silk is on Masterpiece starting on Sunday. Looks like they're only showing season 1 for now, no doubt will show the second season later. I've seen both seasons (thanks to Knowledge Network, BC's fabulous public broadcaster), and I really enjoyed them. The British legal system is so very different from the US one, or even the Canadian one, so even though it is "another lawyer show" it's still different. Plus it's very well written and acted.

(ETA: I just spotted on imdb that a third season is scheduled for the UK in October -- so I hope we get that one here before too long.)

vCash
    From the time period of Downton Abbey and Mr. Selfridge...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ailbhemalone...edium=buzzfeed

20 Gorgeous Vintage Posters For The London Underground
    With thanks to the London Transport Museum.

vCash

I did not like the "Pride and Prejudice" sequel book at all so I doubt I'll watch this series; also disliked the first episode of "Silk" and have not watched that any further.

Not looking like a great PBS season, for me, so far.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Peaches LaTour View Post
    I did not like the "Pride and Prejudice" sequel book at all so I doubt I'll watch this series; also disliked the first episode of "Silk" and have not watched that any further.

Not looking like a great PBS season, for me, so far.....
    I loved Silk when aired here a couple of years ago, but can see how it wouldn't be for everyone.

I'm very much looking forward to Last Tango in Halifax, starting this Sunday. And then new Foyle starts the following Sunday!

vCash
    Twitter:

New York Times Arts ‏@nytimesarts 1h
    ‘The Hollow Crown,’ on PBS, Retells Shakespearean History http://nyti.ms/1eICZJm

vCash
    Watching Richard II this evening. One of my favorite Shakespeare plays. I wish the series went all the way to Henry V. It appears it ends with the Henry IV plays. I guess I will have to find my copy of Kenneth Branagh's Henry V when this is over.

I missed part of it. Was Patrick Stewart, John O'Gaunt?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    Watching Richard II this evening. One of my favorite Shakespeare plays. I wish the series went all the way to Henry V. It appears it ends with the Henry IV plays. I guess I will have to find my copy of Kenneth Branagh's Henry V when this is over.

I missed part of it. Was Patrick Stewart, John O'Gaunt?
    http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/episod...e-series/1747/

The Hollow Crown does include Henry V; after Richard II they showed a special "Shakespeare and the Divine Right of Kings" in which many of the principal actors (Whisaw, Hiddleston, Irons, Kinnear, Walters), directors and producer were interviewed. Tom Hiddleston specifically talked about the character arc of Prince Hal becoming King Henry V.

Yes, Sir Patrick Stewart was John of Gaunt.

EDIT: via Twitter...

PBS ‏@PBS 26m
    In case you missed it -- The Hollow Crown: Richard II is now available to view online: http://to.pbs.org/16OjgVf #HollowCrownPBS
    Last edited by dardar1126; 09-21-2013 at 02:56 PM.

vCash
    New genealogical series on PBS begins Monday, Sept. 23 (tomorrow night) at 8 p.m. MST

vCash
    ^^^
    Looking forward to this!

vCash
    http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/episod...e-series/1747/

The Hollow Crown does include Henry V; after Richard II they showed a special "Shakespeare and the Divine Right of Kings" in which many of the principal actors (Whisaw, Hiddleston, Irons, Kinnear, Walters), directors and producer were interviewed. Tom Hiddleston specifically talked about the character arc of Prince Hal becoming King Henry V.

Yes, Sir Patrick Stewart was John of Gaunt.

EDIT: via Twitter...
    I saw that later in the special as well. I will look forward to Henry V. As for Richard II, I confess to liking the Derek Jacobi version better; but, then, I really like Derek Jacobi.

What is the genealogical series?

vCash
    http://www.pbs.org/program/genealogy-roadshow/

About the Program

Part detective story, part emotional journey, Genealogy Roadshow will combine history and science to uncover the fascinating stories of diverse Americans. Each individual’s past will link to a larger community history, revealing the rich cultural tapestry of America.

Genealogy Roadshow premiere season will feature participants from four American cities — Nashville, Detroit, San Francisco and Austin — who want to explore unverified genealogical claims, passed down through family history, that may (or may not) connect them to an event or a historical figure. These cities were chosen as American crossroads of culture, diversity, industry and history, with deep pools of potential participants and stories. After participants are chosen, experts in genealogy, history and DNA will use family heirlooms, letters, pictures, historical documents and other clues to hunt down more information.

These experts will enlist the help of local historians to add color and context to the investigations, ensuring every artifact and every name becomes a clue in solving the mystery. Residents of Nashville, Detroit, San Francisco and Austin are invited and encouraged to submit their personal stories as Genealogy Roadshow will unearth family and community secrets, reveal notable relatives and discover unexpected stories that connect the past to the present. Many answers will be revealed on camera before a local audience, in a historic building relevant to the cities’ – and the participants’ – histories.

vCash
    My notebook wouldn't allow me to post the link.

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast