Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: All Thing PBS

vCash
    Twitter:

PBS ‏@PBS 17m
    Tomorrow at 9/8c on @GPerfPBS: “Barrymore” shines a spotlight on acclaimed (and notorious) actor John Barrymore: http://youtu.be/ws2Upx9VFbA
    Christopher Plummer stars as the famous actor.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    ^ I saw this live at Stratford nearly 20 years ago. And then again a couple of years ago in one of those live-theatre-at-the-movies broadcasts -- I think that's the production that will air on PBS.

Aside from Plummer at his best, it's a great play for anyone who has any interest at all in the creative process. Or the Barrymores.

vCash
    Link to an article on "Barrymore" and Christopher Plummer in my local paper written by our local TV reviewer -
    http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/art...242708381.html

Hopefully you can access this. I found Christopher's comments about how he felt adapting the stage play to screen very interesting.

vCash
    Thank you!
    The article makes me look forward to the program even more.

vCash
    Twitter:

PBS ‏@PBS 4m
    Did you miss last night's broadcast of @GPerfPBS's "Barrymore" w/ Christopher Plummer? Stream it online here: http://to.pbs.org/1fwBTRs
    Brilliant acting!

vCash
    It certainly was!

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    PBS Detroit never showed this, as every Friday they do a Classic Film Festival thing and last night was Some Like It Hot. Which was a good thing, as I finally got it on DVD, but I would have adored to see this!!

vCash
    Twitter:

PBS ‏@PBS 29m
    Take a look at @AmExperiencePBS's "The Amish: Shunned" coming to @pbs Tuesday: http://to.pbs.org/1eidjFi

vCash
    Oh my gosh, Barrymore was amazing. Plummer had that audience in the palm of his hand the moment he stepped onstage, and with good reason.

I have got to get that on DVD.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Twitter:

PBS ‏@PBS 1h
    Tonight on @AmExperiencePBS, be sure to watch "The Amish: Shunned" at 9/8c. A preview: http://to.pbs.org/1fWLPSG

vCash
    Since some of these are getting muddled up in the Downton Abbey thread, I thought I'd put in a post for the return dates of some of our favourite British series:

Call the Midwife - Mar 30
    Mr. Selfridge - Mar 30
    The Bletchley Circle - Apr 21

Any others?

I don't know what Masterpiece will be showing on Mar 9-16-13, though. The last episode of Downton Abbey should be done Mar 2 if I've done my math right, and the PBS website only has the Masterpiece schedule up to Feb 23.

vCash
    Twitter:

Great Performances ‏@GPerfPBS 9m
    What can we say, we just love the Brits! Watch highlights from @OfficialSting's "The Last Ship"! Airing 2/21 on @PBS http://to.pbs.org/MvAKi
    i

vCash
    Facebook:

PBS
    Coming to GREAT PERFORMANCES l PBS: The National Theatre in London 50th anniversary special features a cast of theater legends, including Maggie Smith, Ralph Fiennes, Judi Dench, Benedict Cumberbatch and many more. Be sure to watch on Feb. 14 at 9/8c: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyLNl...ature=youtu.be

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    Facebook:
    RE; Great performances at the National Theater.
    I hope I don't forget. I'd love to see that. Thanks for the information!
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    ^ I saw that when they did their movie-theatre broadcast in the fall. It was fantastic, as you'd expect -- although also slightly frustrating because it makes you want to see the whole productions rather than just scenes.

vCash
    Another returning favourite: Doc Martin. I spotted on another board that they started season 6 on the Detroit PBS affiliate last night, and I believe the Seattle one will be airing it starting next month. Yay!

I do think it's lost a lot of its freshness, they should have ended with season 4, but I'm still looking forward to the conclusion of the story. I believe 6 will be the last season.

vCash
    Did anyone else catch The Making of a Lady on Sunday night after Downton? It was delightfully creepy, the way any Victorian gothic thriller should be. Frances Hodgson Burnett all grown up.

The ending was a bit rushed, but I thought it was well done overall, very enjoyable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Did anyone else catch The Making of a Lady on Sunday night after Downton? It was delightfully creepy, the way any Victorian gothic thriller should be. Frances Hodgson Burnett all grown up.

The ending was a bit rushed, but I thought it was well done overall, very enjoyable.
    Yes I enjoyed it very much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post

I recorded it and watched it last night. I enjoyed it too, and spent a lot of the time trying to remember where I've seen the two male leads before. The Emily actress reminded me of Justine Waddell, whom I've seen in many British productions.

vCash
    Linus Roache (Walderhurst) is mostly a stage actor, but is known for screen work on this side of the pond for a recurring role in Law & Order, and in Britain probably best known for Coronation Street.

I agree about Lydia Wilson's similarity to Justine Waddell. They both have that classic ingénue look.

Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast