vCash

2014 Primetime Emmy Nominations list; Awards ceremony is August 25

"Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I hope Veep wins Best Comedy Series. It absolutely deserves it. I know it probably didn't put itself in the running for Best Comedy Series, but I seriously do believe Bob's Burgers is one of the best shows on TV at the moment. I hope it finally wins Best Animated Program.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    A couple of things strike me as I look at that list:

1. There are 3 categories of reality TV. Wow. Makes sense -- comparing Mythbusters to The Voice is ridiculous -- but still wow.

2. The gulf between network and cable is now so wide that it seems to me there should be separate categories there too. Cable series play by a whole different set of rules, in terms of allowable content (language, nudity) and the length of each season (it's a lot easier to do quality when you only have to make 6-12 episodes in a season instead of 22-23). Big Bang theory, for example, is superb, one of the best network comedies ever ... but Veep is on a whole different playing field. And there are so many outstanding cable dramas that not one network show even got nominated (unless you count Downton Abbey).

vCash
    Why Was 'The Good Wife' Snubbed by the Emmys? http://time.com/2973756/the-good-wife-emmy-snub/

THE ENRAGING EMMY NOMINATIONS: 20 SNUBS AND SURPRISES: http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...surprises.html
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I don't know about ""The Good Wife", but in general, I think the Emmy's want to keep the awards focused on the big major networks, not the smaller and independent cable channels. Hence no "Orphan Black" (Space) and also no "Walking Dead" (AMC) nominees.

vCash
    I don't know about cable not having enough love considering they've been doing better than networks for like two decades now. I think smaller cable networks (especially those with a niche) have a harder time simply because they get lost in the shuffle and are probably not seen by many members of the Academy because they're considered shows that only appeal to a certain interest. There are just way too many shows competing for peoples' interest and slots.

I used to be really cynical about this stuff and I do think there is a lot of self-interest going on. However, I also think the membership is just too large to really have one state of mind. So it makes sense that shows with the most broad appeal and those with good PR and marketing teams will get nominations. People just know them. Internet bloggers making appeals during nomination periods aren't enough to grab many members' attention. I think these sort of bodies that are mostly industry people always skew a bit older, so shows and genres that appeal to that demographic tend to do better.

I'm always curious about Internet bloggers who write such angry responses to award selections. I get into it, but then I don't publish whole articles about the injustice of it all. I always want these writers to make their own awards and choose their own nominees and winners and see how readers react to it. They may be surprised that their opinions will be criticized too (if they have readers who actually care to read their pieces).
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I hope Veep wins Best Comedy Series. It absolutely deserves it.
    Absolutely agree! "Veep" is so well-written and acted! I am also pulling for Allison Janney in both "Mom" and "Masters of Sex". Absolutely brilliant in both! Both of those shows should have been nominated, as well. I would have also liked to see Eden Sher nominated for The Middle.

On a personal note, I cannot stand Melissa McCarthy and cannot understand why she was nominated.

vCash
    I'm miffed that Bellamy Young wasn't nominated.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    The list has Kate Mulgrew's name spelled wrong. But for Kate Mulgrew!!!!

Kate Muldrew - "Orange Is the New Black"

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I want Orange is the New Black to win EVERYTHING! I seriously doubt it happens. Last year I felt they were really snubbed. Was it because they missed the deadline? In other words, are these nominations from Season 1 of OITNB or are these nominations from the most recent 2nd season?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I want Orange is the New Black to win EVERYTHING! I seriously doubt it happens. Last year I felt they were really snubbed. Was it because they missed the deadline? In other words, are these nominations from Season 1 of OITNB or are these nominations from the most recent 2nd season?
    These nominations are for Season 1. I have no doubt that had the Emmys been considering season 2, Lorraine Toussant would be receiving a nomination as well though it's really pushing it to give her a nomination for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy series despite how amazing she was. Yes the show is a dramedy, but I can see how the other performances can be seen as comedic. Vi's performance is a lot harder to see as comedic, IMO.

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    Guest Actor in a Drama Series

Paul Giamatti - "Downton Abbey"
    Dylan Baker - "The Good Wife"
    Reg E. Cathey - "House of Cards"
    Robert Morse - "Mad Men"
    Beau Bridges - "Masters of Sex"
    Joe Morton - "Scandal"
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    Speaking of Guest Actor in a Drama Series, how many times has Robert Morse been nominated for Mad Men?

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    Speaking of Guest Actor in a Drama Series, how many times has Robert Morse been nominated for Mad Men?
    Five times and without a win: 2007-8, 2009-10, 2010-11, 2012-13, 2013-14.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    These nominations are for Season 1. I have no doubt that had the Emmys been considering season 2, Lorraine Toussant would be receiving a nomination as well though it's really pushing it to give her a nomination for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy series despite how amazing she was. Yes the show is a dramedy, but I can see how the other performances can be seen as comedic. Vi's performance is a lot harder to see as comedic, IMO.
    Well then, that makes more sense. I think Crazy Eyes deserves the win out of those for season 1. It also explains why Red got a nomination, I didn't think she deserved it from season 2 so much but she is one of the more main characters. Maybe Vee can get that nomination next year? Can they submit her as Supporting or only as guest? Does it depend on how they do billing during credits?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Well then, that makes more sense. I think Crazy Eyes deserves the win out of those for season 1. It also explains why Red got a nomination, I didn't think she deserved it from season 2 so much but she is one of the more main characters. Maybe Vee can get that nomination next year? Can they submit her as Supporting or only as guest? Does it depend on how they do billing during credits?
    I do think it has everything to do with the billing and how the producers submit the actors. That said, if the producers choose to put Lorraine Toussaint in Guest Actress, it'll be cheating considering she really was a huge part of the storyline and is really a supporting actress. Speaking of nominations for next year, I'm one of the few people among my friends who actually likes Piper and what Taylor Schilling brings to the role (and thinks she deserves a nomination for season 1). However, I don't think she deserves a nomination for season 2. She really took a back seat this time around. I'm surprised you don't think Kate Mulgrew deserves a nomination for season 2. I thought she was great, although her role is less comedic in the second season.