Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Can't skate but love to watch

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Yesterday was a horrible day 2 amazing Canadian women died Raylene Rankin, of the Rankin Family aso died at age 52 from cancer I'm sad about the lose of these two
    All Mom knew was that one of the Rankin girls had died, but not who. I had the great good fortune to see The Rankin Family in Concert in the Fall of 93 and to meet Barbara Ann at 06 Canadians. Both were unforgettable moments.

Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    Thanks Maofan for putting up the link. One of my favorite podcasts ever. She was so gracious, and as PJ Kwong said, surprised anyone would be interested in her story! A great legend who had a remarkable and full career and life. RIP.

She gave me one too to keep for myself. I cherish it.
    As I cherish my personally signed photo of her from her Homecoming Parade after winning Olympic Gold she gave me in Ottawa.

What a sad day for Canadian Figure Skating, as we not only lost a Legend and a Classy Lady, but the skater who really did start the great tradition of Canadian Figure Skaters shining on the World Stage. She truly was a trailblazer.

I was the last person to meet her that day at the Civic Arena and when I first tried to talk to her, just who I was meeting hit me hard and I literally stumbled over my first sentence I said to her. I took a deep breath, started again and apologized for sounding like an idiot. Barbara Ann simply took my hand in hers and said, "It's alright my dear, we all do it at times when talking to someone."

As others have said, she made you feel like you were the only one in the room w/her and it didn't matter what the schedule was or if she was running late, if she was talking to you, then she was going to take all the time in the World to talk to you. There aren't too many people like that these days sadly.

Godspeed Lovely Lady. Namarie Tari o Helce.

(Farewell Queen of Ice)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victorskid View Post
    That was wonderful.

Another great article:
    http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...782/story.html

vCash
    My mom owned a bike that her parents had sold .. from way back when they would have been little girls. I always teased my mom that the bike would have been worth a small fortune if she had held onto it.

vCash

Barbara Ann Scott Obit from the NY Times

I am sending this by cut and paste as I think you need a paid subscription to read it:

Barbara Ann Scott, Canadian Figure Skater, Dies at 84
    By RICHARD GOLDSTEIN
    Published: October 1, 2012

Barbara Ann Scott, who became a Canadian heroine at 19 when she won figure skating gold at the 1948 Winter Olympics, succeeding Norway’s Sonja Henie as the premier women’s skater in a sport Europeans had dominated for decades, died on Sunday at her home on Amelia Island, Fla. She was 84.

The Canadian Press, via Associated Press
    Barbara Ann Scott practicing in St. Moritz, Switzerland in 1948.

Jonathan Hayward/The Canadian Press, via Associated Press
    Barbara Ann Scott in 2006.
    Her husband, Tom King, confirmed her death.

Growing up in Ottawa, Scott idolized Henie, the women’s singles champion at the last three Olympics before World War II. Emerging as a champion in her own right, Scott was hailed as Canada’s sweetheart when she put her country on the international sports map, prompting a toy company to create a Barbara Ann Scott doll. It became a cherished gift for a generation of Canadian girls.

Scott was the first North American to capture the world and European championships. She won both in 1947, and again the next year.

Her most spectacular triumph came at the 1948 St. Moritz Winter Games in Switzerland, where she became the first, and only, Canadian to win an Olympic championship in figure skating singles, triumphing on an outdoor rink rutted from hockey games. She was also a multiple North American and Canadian national champion.

The former Canadian prime minister Mackenzie King, who died in 1950, said Scott “gave Canadians courage to get through the darkness of the postwar gloom.”

And she charmed with her youthful glamour. Life magazine, reporting on her 1947 world championship victory in Stockholm, called her “a shy, blue-eyed Canadian beauty” who was “undeniably lovely in face and form.”

When Scott returned to Ottawa, her hometown, after her world and European figure skating triumphs in 1947, tens of thousands greeted her, and the mayor presented her with a yellow convertible on behalf of the city, the license plate reading 47-U-1 (for “1947, You Won”).

Scott gave the car back when Avery Brundage, the head of the United States Olympic Committee, questioned whether her acceptance of it might jeopardize her amateur status and make her ineligible for Olympic competition. But the car was returned to her after she won Olympic gold in 1948 and decided to turn professional. It was repainted blue with the license plate updated to 48-U-1.

Scott usually dominated the compulsories, the tracing of figure-eight variations, which accounted for 60 percent of the scoring in her era, but she deftly executed spins and leaps as well. At 13, she became the first female skater to complete a double lutz in competition.

“She was delicate, precise, exact, meticulous — simply perfect,” said the American skater Dick Button, who won the men’s singles in St. Moritz, joining with Scott to herald the international emergence of North American skaters.

Button, who won again at the 1952 Winter Games but is known today more for his televised skating commentary, told Sports Illustrated in 1988 that in her St. Moritz gold medal performance, Scott “did everything right, and there was nobody to challenge her who was better in one particular area, either compulsory figure or free skating.”

In reflecting on the exactness of her compulsories, Scott said: “I like everything to be neat and tidy and symmetrical. I tried to get as near perfect a circle as possible.”

Scott was named Canada’s athlete of the year for 1945 and again for 1947 and 1948. After her Olympic triumph, she embarked on a pro ice-show career, appearing at Christmastime in 1948 at the Roxy theater in Manhattan. She went on to tour with several companies.

With one, the Hollywood Ice Revue, she made her entrance at Madison Square Garden in 1955 in “an evening wrap made of 546 white foxtails, 85 dyed gray and 375 blue,” Life magazine reported, lauding her fresh-faced teenage aura. The wrap rendered her “exhausted and nearly immobilized,” Life said, before she shed it to begin her routine.

She continued to perform until her marriage in 1955 to Mr. King, the press agent for the Hollywood Ice Revue, in which she succeeded Henie as the featured attraction. They settled in Chicago, where King’s business interests were based, but she was hardly forgotten in Canada.

“Even though I was a male skater, she was the one person I looked up to,” Donald Jackson of Canada, the 1962 men’s world figure skating champion and 1960 Olympic bronze medalist, told The Ottawa Citizen in 1999. “Barbara Ann Scott was the one big idol that we skaters knew, that everyone knew.”

Barbara Ann Scott was born on May 9, 1928, in Ottawa, the daughter of Clyde Scott, an army colonel. She began skating at an Ottawa club when she was 6 and won the Canadian junior championship at 11. When she was 12, her father died, and friends and other Ottawa residents raised money to send her to competitions. She captured the first of her four Canadian national senior titles at 15.

After her pro career ended, Scott trained and rode show horses, owned a beauty salon and did charitable work. In their later years, she and Mr. King lived in Fernandina Beach on Amelia Island, in northeast Florida.

Scott carried the Olympic torch before the 1988 Calgary Games. She bore a torch again, this time into Canada’s House of Commons, preceding the 2010 Vancouver Games, where she was among the Canadian flag-bearers. She donated much of her memorabilia, including her Olympic gold medal, to the city of Ottawa in 2011.

On the 60th anniversary of her Olympic victory, she spoke of the moment she received that gold medal.

“It was a blinding snowstorm,” Steve Milton quoted her saying in “Figure Skating’s Greatest Stars” (2009). “I’ll never forget seeing the flag go up with the snow falling and hearing ‘O Canada’ so far away from home.”

vCash
    Thank you so much for the obit.

“Even though I was a male skater, she was the one person I looked up to,” Donald Jackson of Canada, the 1962 men’s world figure skating champion and 1960 Olympic bronze medalist, told The Ottawa Citizen in 1999 “Barbara Ann Scott was the one big idol that we skaters knew, that everyone knew.”
    I love this quote.

vCash
    Famously, Barbara is the only woman from outside Europe to win the European Championships, which she did in both 1947 and 1948. This video features her winning the 1947 European Championships:-

After the 1948 European Championships (in which not only did Barbara win the Ladies event, but Dick Button the Men's competition as well), non-Europeans were banned from competing in the Championships!
    Last edited by Maofan7; 10-02-2012 at 10:30 PM.

vCash
    I believe the Times article MIGHT be incorrect in saying she was the first female to complete a double lutz in competition. I have read that Alena Vrzáňová of Czechoslovakia was the first woman credited with a double lutz, performed at the 1949 World Championships.

Skating supporter
    vCash
    According to more than one article on Barbara Ann, she landed the double lutz in competiton in 1942 at the age of 13! The same information is in the Wikipedia article on her at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Ann_Scott

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    I believe the Times article MIGHT be incorrect in saying she was the first female to complete a double lutz in competition. I have read that Alena Vrzáňová of Czechoslovakia was the first woman credited with a double lutz, performed at the 1949 World Championships.
    Quote Originally Posted by victorskid View Post
    According to more than one article on Barbara Ann, she landed the double lutz in competiton in 1942 at the age of 13! The same information is in the Wikipedia article on her at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Ann_Scott
    Not certain, but it could be that it was Barbara Ann Scott who had the first double lutz in a figure skating competition, and Alena Vrzáňová who had the first ratified 2Lz in an ISU competition? (Noting that due to WWII no ISU Euros or Worlds comps were held from 1940 through 1946 seasons.)

vCash
    I looked in vain for a story on her passing in the Toronto Star. Online, yes but nothing in the print version. Isn't it ironic that the paper breathlessly reported Justin Bieber vomiting on stage yet nothing about a Canadian heroine? I'm so glad that others stepped up and paid tribute. I emailed the paper today to complain. I'm sure nothing will happen but I feel better for having spoken up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufflet View Post
    I looked in vain for a story on her passing in the Toronto Star. Online, yes but nothing in the print version. Isn't it ironic that the paper breathlessly reported Justin Bieber vomiting on stage yet nothing about a Canadian heroine? I'm so glad that others stepped up and paid tribute. I emailed the paper today to complain. I'm sure nothing will happen but I feel better for having spoken up.
    I totally agree. I had to break the news to my 83 year old mum (born and raised in Canada) yesterday because she is retired and watches HLN, CNN, FOX, etc all day and no mention at all of Ms Scott's passing. My mom was devastated and also mortified at the lack of coverage of an Olympic Gold Medalist's life story. Very sad indeed.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufflet View Post
    Good for you for complaining. The print version of the Globe and Mail (in the West) ran an obituary on its regular obits page, most of it borrowed from the New York Times, but nothing in the sports section or in the regular news section. That was shameful.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    The Ottawa Citizen had it on the front page, and other articles on the op ed page and in the sports section. Lots on the local radio station (CBC) too. At least she was well remembered in her home town!
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Such a graceful beautiful woman. Classy too.

vCash
    In Wiki's piece on the lutz, it says Alena was the first. In Wiki's bio, it says Alena was the first.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutz_jump

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alena_V...%C5%88ov%C3%A1

vCash
    Barbara seemed like quite a neat lady! I love watching the youtube clips of her. Love knowing she was the female Dick Button of her time, winning so many competitions, including Europeans!

Skating supporter
    vCash
    Check out the jump history section of the Jackson Skates website: http://www.jacksonskates.com/html/jumphist.html

It refers to Barbara Ann Scott as the first female to complete a double lutz in "official competition" in 1942.

I suspect that Alena Vrzáňová (Aja Zenova) had the first at Worlds.
    Last edited by victorskid; 10-04-2012 at 03:10 AM.

Skating supporter
    vCash
    SkateBuzz has posted a video tribute and details of the memorial for Barbara Ann here: http://www.skatebuzz.com/ViewNewsArt...e-b081cb55ad18

The article mentions both the book of condolence currently available at Ottawa City Hall and an onine book of condolence at: http://www.oxleyheard.com/obituaries.php

vCash
    An update:
    I actually got a response from the Toronto Star. I was told that she got 2/3 of a page in the later edition (I missed it) and that the sports dept. felt that she was an exemplary Canadian. I feel better knowing that she was acknowledged.

I'm surprised at how much her passing has affected me. The U.S. has had so many female Olympic gold medalists but Canada has had only one and that was Barbara Ann! She really meant so much to Canadian figure skating fans. All of the little girls of the time had Barbara Ann dolls or caps or skating costumes and we all pretended to be her on the ice. So I'm still sad.

I see that the funeral will be held in Florida. I hope that somehow the response here can be passed on to her family members.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast