I say awake all week and still I wait
    I got the blues, please come see
    What your loving means to me

Oh, wait! That's Blondie, not blondies.

Sorry. You're on your own.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    I never realized the size of a baking dish could be so important. I made vegan quickcake once, that called for a 8-inch baking dish and I had some rectangular roasting pan instead that was...approximately the same square area. Maybe. I just looked at it more often and it came out well.
    It depends on the recipe. I tried to make my almond pound cake in a meatloaf pan and the middle never did cook.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Yes! Did I say I DO NOT WANT A DOG?

I plan on scouring the neighborhood tomorrow morning to find the rat's owner.
    AWWWW!!! I wish I lived anywhere near you! If you can't find the owner, I would take it! It sounds like a sweet little poop!!!
    Team Peeps!

vCash
    How is your dog doing?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    I hope your have the gumption to take the animal to the pound if you can't find the owner. If you don't want a dog - don't have a dog.
    Oh no. It sounds like a nice little dog....don't condemn the poor thing to the death chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Rats are kinda like cats...

ETA: this is the baking thread, I need to say something about baking....I want blondies!

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post

ETA: this is the baking thread, I need to say something about baking....I want blondies!
    Yeah! Where are the blondies, dangnabbit????
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Yeah! Where are the blondies, dangnabbit????
    I think that milanessa's new little doggie may have eaten them.

Anyway, now that everyone has already resolved the original question/problem about baking pan size, I will offer my own solution from years ago (when I didn't have an extensive batterie de cuisine). I regularly would make the Joy of Cooking's "brownies cockaigne" (a very, very good brownie, indeed!). IIRC, the recipe called for a pan size smaller than what I had, but I did have one that was considerably larger, so I just doubled the recipe which gave me more than enough batter (the overage of which I happily consumed, ignoring any supposed dangers of raw eggs).
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    I have a specific pan for brownies. It has a grid-like thing that looks kind of like an ice cube tray grid so each piece is precut & each one has 4 crispy edges. It's great.

vCash
    Also, if this doesn't make you fall in love with a wiener dog, I don't know what will: http://www.wimp.com/engineersdogs/
    That was a riot!
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

vCash
    Also, if this doesn't make you fall in love with a wiener dog, I don't know what will: http://www.wimp.com/engineersdogs/
    I love it! I want one of those. Not the dog (I already have one), the ball ejector. My dog drives me crazy wanting me to constantly throw balls for him!

When I make brownies or lemon bars, they always seem to scorch on the bottom, if I use a regular baking pan. So, what I do is use 2 foil pans, one inside of the other. The air between the two pans prevents the bottom from scorching. I know they make cookie sheets with double sheets and air between them. They work very well, by the way. But, I have not seen baking pans like that.

vCash
    I never worry about the size of the pan, but then I usually only bake quick-rising breads. Surely 8 versus 9 inches shouldn't make a difference.

A tall, rectangular loaf pan is certainly not the same as a low, square one, but I've always had the same results for quick breads.

Recently I made a zucchini chocolate bread that didn't turn out more like a brownie than a quick-bread, although it was delicious. The bread/brownie was equally over-moist in both types of pans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I love it! I want one of those. Not the dog (I already have one), the ball ejector. My dog drives me crazy wanting me to constantly throw balls for him!

When I make brownies or lemon bars, they always seem to scorch on the bottom, if I use a regular baking pan. So, what I do is use 2 foil pans, one inside of the other. The air between the two pans prevents the bottom from scorching. I know they make cookie sheets with double sheets and air between them. They work very well, by the way. But, I have not seen baking pans like that.
    I do a lot of baking & I can't remember ever scorching the bottom. It sounds like your oven gets hotter than the gauge says. Try turning it 25 degrees lower.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Blondie ingredients are still sitting on the counter, well except for the eggs and butter. It's been a busy couple of days.

Doggie stayed here 2 nights - didn't jump into bed with with me but I did sleep in the guest room. I called the animal shelters and most of the vets in town to see if anyone had reported him missing - no luck. None of the neighbors I checked with recognized him. At first I took him outside for "relief" but he stayed close to the house and wanted to go back in right away. Then I let him out on his own and stood by the door. He did what he needed to do and barked at the door to come back in. Then I let him out and went into the kitchen for a moment - I expected him to bark and after less than 2 minutes I went to the door and he was gone, not seen since. I'm hoping he found his way home. I was supposed to take him to the vet that morning to check for a microchip but didn't have the chance.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    And just like that the universe snatches the wiener dog away from us.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    I do a lot of baking & I can't remember ever scorching the bottom. It sounds like your oven gets hotter than the gauge says. Try turning it 25 degrees lower.
    I have an electric Kitchenaid double oven. A religious one, at that, it has a Sabbath mode . It can do regular baking and convection. I have not gotten used to the convection. But, that shouldn't scorch the bottom, right? It does cook hot, though. I think I will try your suggestion. I have to bake for my daughter's engagement party on Sunday. I think I'll cook the baked ziti lower too .

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Aww I hope he's on his way home too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I have an electric Kitchenaid double oven. A religious one, at that, it has a Sabbath mode . It can do regular baking and convection. I have not gotten used to the convection. But, that shouldn't scorch the bottom, right? It does cook hot, though. I think I will try your suggestion. I have to bake for my daughter's engagement party on Sunday. I think I'll cook the baked ziti lower too .
    If you haven't already, you also might try putting the rack higher.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Blondie ingredients are still sitting on the counter, well except for the eggs and butter. It's been a busy couple of days.

Doggie stayed here 2 nights - didn't jump into bed with with me but I did sleep in the guest room. I called the animal shelters and most of the vets in town to see if anyone had reported him missing - no luck. None of the neighbors I checked with recognized him. At first I took him outside for "relief" but he stayed close to the house and wanted to go back in right away. Then I let him out on his own and stood by the door. He did what he needed to do and barked at the door to come back in. Then I let him out and went into the kitchen for a moment - I expected him to bark and after less than 2 minutes I went to the door and he was gone, not seen since. I'm hoping he found his way home. I was supposed to take him to the vet that morning to check for a microchip but didn't have the chance.
    Awww poor doggy. I am assuming there was no collar. We have a neighbor who has a Ruby Cavalier. They have a collar on the dog that is so lose that it slips out all of the time. Fortunately, we all know who's dog it is, and we bring him home. But, if that dog ever wandered out of the neighborhood... It actually upsets me that they are so irresponsible, but it's not my dog.

I had a dog follow me home when I was walking Cooper, one day. It was a Maltese type dog. Seemed well cared for and had a collar and tag with a phone number. I caught the dog and brought it to my house. But, couldn't bring it in, My dog was attacked once, I was not going to traumatize Cooper. I called the number on the collar, no answer. Called several times over the course of 2 hours. I had an appointment and had to leave. I was not going to bring a strange dog into my house with my dog. So, I called Animal Control, explained the situation, tied the dog up on my deck (13' off the ground, so it was safe), and left it for AC to pick up. I then called the owner to let them know what I did and where they could p/u their dog if they got there before AC. The dog was picked up. The owner never called me back. Even after several calls (over several days) to make sure they had their dog back. I finally called AC to make sure the dog was back home, it was. But, I was that the owner couldn't at least call me back and let me know they had their dog back.

vCash
    I was going to say this as well.

I was having things bake on the bottom and edges too quickly but not in the middle for awhile. My father-in-law checked the temperature for me and sure enough it was off. Majorly off. Like 80 degrees high. He reset the thermostat and no more problems. It is a common issue regardless of how new or old or expensive or cheap an oven is. It is also a quick and easy fix so it might be worth checking the temp and calling a repair man.

(I didn't need a repair man because FiL is one).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    I was going to say this as well.

I was having things bake on the bottom and edges too quickly but not in the middle for awhile. My father-in-law checked the temperature for me and sure enough it was off. Majorly off. Like 80 degrees high. He reset the thermostat and no more problems. It is a common issue regardless of how new or old or expensive or cheap an oven is. It is also a quick and easy fix so it might be worth checking the temp and calling a repair man.

(I didn't need a repair man because FiL is one).
    Thanks, I didn't know that was an option

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12