Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    engaged to dupa
    vCash

Calling on bakers for help...please.

First off, I'm a lousy baker. I have 2 things I can do - apple crisp and New York cheesecake. Other than that . I'm planning on trying to bake something this evening but need some help.

Blondies. The recipe calls for an 8" square baking dish. Who the hell owns baking dishes? I have many roasting pans one of which is 9" square. Will that work? Do I need to cook it for a shorter time since the batter won't be as thick in the pan? Can I use a muffin pan for individual servings?

Any help appreciated.

signed: out of my comfort zone.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    My sympathies to you. I'd say the 9 inch pan could be used, but definitely keep an eye on them, and use a toothpick to test for doneness if you haven't got a cake tester. A muffin pan should take less time.

vCash
    Yes, you can probably use the 9x9 inch pan. You may have to adjust the time and they won't be as thick. You will need to watch. The real trick is to not over bake. Rely on your tooth pick test. If it comes out clean (but not too clean), your done. You don't want to over bake the edges. It's better to err on the gooey side.

Please keep in mind that all ovens are different. We all have to watch our baking for doneness. Once you have made these a couple of times you will feel more confident. Just take the leap. It will be fine.

You can probably use the muffin tins and make it work. I would probably wait on that idea until you are more confident in the recipe.

vCash
    Agree with the advice you've already received.
    Read directions, watch carefully, and don't overbake.
    Let us know how they turn out.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    What I do the first time I make any recipe is to look in on it 5-10 min. before the recipe says it should be done just in case. Stoves differ and pans differ and those differences do have an impact.

I always make my brownies (which is what blondies are) in 9x9 glass pans btw. They generally take 5 min. less than the recipe says when I use my oven. I made brownies the other day though in 8 inch and 9 inch round metal pans and they cooked even faster.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    For blondies especially, I would underbake them if you're wanting anything resembling gooey fudgieness. Even the best blondie recipes can turn into a giant chocolate chip cookie as it continues to cook when you take it out of the oven. Still delicious, but not my preference in terms of texture.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Thanks for all the tips - you've given me courage. Gonna have to wait until tomorrow morning, though - there's an animal situation going on here.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    lol, I thought the title was to get help from "Bankers".
    Sounds like you got some good tips here. Hope the Blondies turn out..of course after the animal situation gets resolved.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    OK, what's this "animal situation"??
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    OK, what's this "animal situation"??
    Older neighbors (late 80's) called because of a stray in their yard. A little bitty dachshund that is now in my house and is following me everywhere. Right now she's sleeping at my feet. My husband has "suggested" I sleep in a guest room so the cats aren't bothered. I've taken this silly ass dog outside twice to poop and pee - I'll be damned before I do it again at 11 pm.
    3539 and counting.

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Awwww....whatcha gonna do with that cute lil wiener dog?
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Okay, I caved and took her out again. I DO NOT WANT A DOG. Why is she farting? Cats don't fart much at all.
    3539 and counting.

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Wiener dogs are kind of like cats...

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Wiener dogs are kind of like cats...
    No they are not. You are deluded.
    3539 and counting.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    I never realized the size of a baking dish could be so important. I made vegan quickcake once, that called for a 8-inch baking dish and I had some rectangular roasting pan instead that was...approximately the same square area. Maybe. I just looked at it more often and it came out well.

Also, if this doesn't make you fall in love with a wiener dog, I don't know what will: http://www.wimp.com/engineersdogs/

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Okay, I caved and took her out again. I DO NOT WANT A DOG. Why is she farting? Cats don't fart much at all.
    This is why I don't want a dog. I can't imagine having to leave a fun time with friends or a party because you know your dog is at home about to pee and poop all over your house. My cat uses a litter box and I can leave out food for her that she wont eat all in one sitting like a dog. She can also be left alone and be just fine for multiple days. I only have to worry about getting someone to go check on her if I am out of town for more than 3-4 days.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Also, if this doesn't make you fall in love with a wiener dog, I don't know what will: http://www.wimp.com/engineersdogs/
    It did not. That dog looks just like the one sitting at my feet except the one here has a shorter tail. I DO NOT WANT A DOG.
    3539 and counting.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    This is why I don't want a dog. I can't imagine having to leave a fun time with friends or a party because you know your dog is at home about to pee and poop all over your house. My cat uses a litter box and I can leave out food for her that she wont eat all in one sitting like a dog. She can also be left alone and be just fine for multiple days. I only have to worry about getting someone to go check on her if I am out of town for more than 3-4 days.
    Yes! Did I say I DO NOT WANT A DOG?

I plan on scouring the neighborhood tomorrow morning to find the rat's owner.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Yes! Did I say I DO NOT WANT A DOG?

I plan on scouring the neighborhood tomorrow morning to find the rat's owner.
    I hope your have the gumption to take the animal to the pound if you can't find the owner. If you don't want a dog - don't have a dog.

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Rats are kinda like cats...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast