Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash

Night owl? Early bird? Fly on over and perch in here.

Came across this article about sleep patterns being related to hormones: http://www.slate.com/articles/health...src=most_viral

The biology of human sleep timing, like that of other mammals, changes as we age. This has been shown in many studies. As puberty begins, bedtimes and waking times get later. This trend continues until 19.5 years in women and 21 in men. Then it reverses. At 55 we wake at about the time we woke prior to puberty. On average this is two hours earlier than adolescents. This means that for a teenager, a 7 a.m. alarm call is the equivalent of a 5 a.m. start for people in their 50s.
    Precisely why this is so is unclear, but the shifts correlate with hormonal changes at puberty and the decline in those hormones as we age.
    As long as I can remember I've been a natural night owl. I can stay up comfortably and be very functional until about 3 a.m. or later, provided I can sleep in until about 11. Which of course rarely happens anymore. Conversely, waking up earlier than 8:30 is torture even if I go to bed early and get the same amount of sleep.

When I took all day tests in grad school, my test scores rose steadily as the morning progressed. IOW, I am zombie early in the morning. I think it's genetic--my grandmother was one. We would stay up laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate together and watch movies when I was a kid on summer vacation. My son is a natural night owl too but finds it a lot easier to wake up early, especially if he has something exciting to look forward to. A good friend is an insufferable early bird, all perky and chipper at 6 am, a zombie at 10 pm.

What about you? Thoughts on this? The article?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Your grandmother was a zombie!?!?

vCash
    I'm a natural night owl. I hate getting up early, but of course, the baby decides 6:30 or 7 is perfect. I miss it when he'd get up at 9! At least he naps a lot. Kid loves his sleep. I've always been a horrible sleeper who preferred staying up late.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quartz View Post
    Only in the mornings. Otherwise, she was a doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I'm a natural night owl. I hate getting up early, but of course, the baby decides 6:30 or 7 is perfect. I miss it when he'd get up at 9! At least he naps a lot. Kid loves his sleep. I've always been a horrible sleeper who preferred staying up late.
    The baby is still young and may change his mind as he gets a little older. There's hope yet.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quartz View Post
    Wow, mine was just a monster.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I am a night owl and always have been. I slept until noon today, as matter of fact, and I will probably be up until 2 or 3 tonight. I get very tired around 8:30 on most night but by 9:00 it has passed and I am wide awake and have tons of energy. Often I want to get cleaning and household chores done after 9. This is one reason I am happy to be a teacher, I can at least enjoy my summers and be on, for me, a more natural sleep schedule.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I actually don't know what I am. It seems that as long as I get around 9 hours of sleep I can do both.

vCash
    I'm naturally a night owl. I hate getting up early, but alas I must be at work by 8 am on weekdays. When I feel the most productive at work though is after lunch, and I generally only feel really awake after 10 am.

Today I woke up just a bit before 10, and ended up taking a nap between 12:30-3:30. I'll probably go to bed in the next half hour to hour.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    I am a night owl. I go to bed very late - sometimes as late as 3 am, but I still get up early because I have to be at work by 8:30am. Does that make me both - night owl and early bird?

vCash
    It's 12:40 am and I'm about to finish writing for a website, edit an article, go for a run with the dog and then do weights. Does that give you an answer?

Its strange but I really think my creative and energetic peak arrives somewhere between 11:30 pm and 2 am. Sensible bed times make me cranky and unproductive. Thank god I do all my work freelance.
    Last edited by Dr.Siouxs; 04-28-2013 at 08:57 AM.

vCash
    I'm definitely an early bird.

vCash
    I'm naturally a night owl, but getting up early doesn't bother me that much. I'm up super early for work twice a week. I live.

Of course, left to my own devices, if I have no work, I'll be in bed at midnight and up around 9am. That's perfect for me! Sleeping until 11 or later usually means I'm ill!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    I'm an early bird. The problem is that if I have trouble sleeping at night, I still wake up early in the morning automatically. My body can't adjust itself to sleep in late if I go to bed late.

vCash
    I'm an early bird married to a night owl.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ballettmaus View Post
    I actually don't know what I am. It seems that as long as I get around 9 hours of sleep I can do both.
    OMG....I can only dream of getting that much sleep.
    I average about 5-6 and that is often broken. It takes me a good hour to fall asleep once I go to bed, and then I often wake up after 2 or 3 hours and can't get back to sleep. I seem to hit the deepest part of my sleep when my alarm is going off. I am usually in the middle of a dream, and the alarm disrupts that and makes me very disoriented.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ageless View Post
    Same here. It was a big problem for many years. Now that we are retired, and he has an old man's bladder, there is not such a discrepancy. I still need about 9 hours sleep and manage to get that every night.

As an early bird I am up at 7 to feed the animals. They encourage me in this, so don't really have a choice. I get all my chores done before noon. After supper I do nothing but watch TV or surf.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ageless View Post
    I am a night owl married to an early bird!

vCash
    I need around 8.5 to 9 hours of sleep to function at my best and stay healthy.

I hate that I chose a profession and live in a culture where this is considered a moral failing.

vCash

Re: Night owl? Early bird? Fly on over and perch in here.

I am an extreme morning person, and often wake up at 430am. I often try to sneak off to bed as early as 630pm, usually it's 800pm. My husband is also an extreme morning person, it's a match made in heaven. My parents and grandparents are/were the same way.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    How do you guys manage when you are an early bird married to an night owl or vice versa? My husband used to be a night owl as well but he has to be at work fairly early and so converted to a reluctant early bird. My son woke up at 9:20 am today.

Oh and

NIGHT OWLS OF THE WORLD, UNITE! END THE OPPRESSION OF THE EARLY BIRDS (WHO RUN THE WORLD)!!! MAKE SCHOOLS HAVE 2 SHIFTS, ONE FOR THE EARLY BIRDS STARTING AT 7 AM AND ONE FOR THE NIGHT OWLS, STARTING AT 1PM.

Last edited by IceAlisa; 04-28-2013 at 07:42 PM.

from Speedy Death

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast