Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
    Which is nice except for those of us who can't get DirecTV.

NBC chacks Cup of China every year. I wonder if they have trouble getting broadcast rights from China or something.

Anyway, thank goodness for the NBC coverage! Not much but way better than nothing. I just have to hope my local affiliate doesn't pre-empt it for football games as they so often do.

Figure skating gets no respect!
    Universal Sports is also available on Dish Network in a sports package.

There are ways to get your local network to stop pre-empting figure skating. It takes work and time, but we don't have that problem here anymore. It all depends on if you and other fans in your area are willing to make a big enough stink in the right places and to the right people.

Having said that, if NBC runs late on a game and figure skating starts late, there is nothing any of us can do about it except watch the re-run on Universal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    Universal Sports is also available on Dish Network in a sports package.

There are ways to get your local network to stop pre-empting figure skating. It takes work and time, but we don't have that problem here anymore. It all depends on if you and other fans in your area are willing to make a big enough stink in the right places and to the right people.

Having said that, if NBC runs late on a game and figure skating starts late, there is nothing any of us can do about it except watch the re-run on Universal.
    Can't get Dish either.

We've been complaining and calling and writing to our local affiliate since the early 1980s when they regularly chacked the Landover World Pros. By we I mean as many skaters and coaches at the rink as could be whipped into a frenzy. But the affiliate is run by good ole boys to whom figure skating is a joke, and the only real sports are football and basketball. Occasionally baseball.

So I thank the deities for the internet, fsvids and youtube. They have saved me.

vCash
    I feel your pain!

Until 1985 our Central Florida NBC affiliate showed movies on Saturday and Sundays - never skating.
    I'd like to think that all the letters I wrote made a difference.
    The other local stations aren't much better - even now.
    Programmers have always favored football/basketball which are "everything" in the South!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
    Can't get Dish either.

We've been complaining and calling and writing to our local affiliate since the early 1980s when they regularly chacked the Landover World Pros. By we I mean as many skaters and coaches at the rink as could be whipped into a frenzy. But the affiliate is run by good ole boys to whom figure skating is a joke, and the only real sports are football and basketball. Occasionally baseball.

So I thank the deities for the internet, fsvids and youtube. They have saved me.
    Quit trying to work on the locals and try calling New York. Your local station works with an NBC affiliate rep who is based in New York City. We found out the name of our particular rep and started calling the New York office to tell them how unhappy we were with the decisions being made by our local NBC Affiliate. Believe me, NBC wants you to see their broadcast. It will help.

The next thing to do is to call the sponsors/advertisers of the football games (or whatever) that are broadcast instead of figure skating. Ask them if they are aware that the program they support is not something you want to see. Tell them you will not be able to support their product/store as long as they continue to advertise on those types of programs. Tell them you will be advising your friends and neighbors and co-workers to not support them either.

It takes a while but the message does get across to those who make decisions.

This is my yearly post on this subject for those who are interested.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    I wonder if Universal Sports will only show what's being shown on NBC because Ice Network has the rights to the live coverage?
    I have Universal Sports, and there is nothing scheduled for Skate America other than what's on NBC. Starting to worry that they aren't going to cover it like they have in the past...

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by toddlj View Post
    I have Universal Sports, and there is nothing scheduled for Skate America other than what's on NBC. Starting to worry that they aren't going to cover it like they have in the past...
    Skate America will be covered by Ice Network and NBC's two hours. Universal Sports has the contract for the remaining GP events.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Skate America will be covered by Ice Network and NBC's two hours. Universal Sports has the contract for the remaining GP events.
    That's good to know, thanks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Skate America will be covered by Ice Network .....
    That's not TV (the title of this forum and thread), sorry. TV is TV and internet is internet. Hardly the same experience unless one has some magical plug and an HD TV and place to elegantly place a laptop next to TV set-up (special laptop table in the living room?).

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    That's not TV (the title of this forum and thread), sorry. TV is TV and internet is internet. Hardly the same experience unless one has some magical plug and an HD TV and place to elegantly place a laptop next to TV set-up (special laptop table in the living room?).
    Actually, you can just put the laptop on the floor.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Actually, you can just put the laptop on the floor.
    Doesn't go with the elegance of my living room. Computers are for functional work rooms...not the places where people RELAX.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Doesn't go with the elegance of my living room. Computers are for functional work rooms...not the places where people RELAX.
    Computers are for use ANYWHERE and should not be confined to use by human limitations, including the floor!
    There is nothing more captivating in this world than a woman's form gracing the ice in skating boots. It's simply sensational!

vCash
    Finally found a listing on Universal for Skate Canada at least - http://universalsports.com/watch-live/

Doesn't mention anything about a TV broadcast, only streaming.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    For those who want to hook their internet stream up to the tv, this web site helps a lot:

http://hookpctotv.com

I was able to watch the Ironman World Championships on my HD TV by using this website.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Today's updates:

SKATE CANADA

Universal Sports Network

all times Eastern
    Saturday, October 27
    4:00pm - 6:00pm - Pairs and Dance Finals
    7:30pm - 9:00pm - Men's Free Skate LIVE

Plus repeats of the two programs above and what appears to be repeats of the NBC broadcast.

Info found on tvguide.com.

ROSTELECOM CUP (CUP OF RUSSIA)

NBC

SUNDAY, November 11
    4 p.m. – 6 p.m. ET
    ISU GRAND PRIX OF FIGURE SKATING (taped)
    Commentators: Terry Gannon, Peter Carruthers, Tara Lipinski
    Site: Moscow, Russia
    Source

From icenetwork.com TV schedule

(all times Eastern)

Oct. 21, 2012: 2012 Hilton HHonors Skate America NBC 4:00-6:00 p.m.
    Oct. 21, 2012: 2012 Hilton HHonors Skate America Universal Sports (NBC replay) 8:00-10:00 p.m.
    Oct. 28, 2012: 2012 Skate Canada NBC 2:00-4:00 p.m.
    Nov. 11, 2012: 2012 Rostelecom Cup NBC 4:00-6:00 p.m.
    Nov. 18, 2012: 2012 Trophee Eric Bompard NBC 2:00-4:00 p.m.
    Nov. 25, 2012: 2012 NHK Trophy NBC 3:00-5:00 p.m.
    Dec. 9, 2012: 2012 Grand Prix Final NBC 4:00-6:00 p.m.
    Jan. 26, 2013: 2013 U.S. Figure Skating Championships NBC 3:00-6:00 p.m.
    Jan. 26, 2013: 2013 U.S. Figure Skating Championships NBC 9:00-11:00 p.m.
    Jan. 27, 2013: 2013 U.S. Figure Skating Championships NBC 4:00-6:00 p.m.
    Feb. 2, 2013: Skating Spectacular NBC 1:00-3:00 p.m.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Skate America/Grand Prix coverage press release from NBC Sports

NBC Sports presents coverage of the 2012 Hilton HHonors Skate America from ShoWare Center in Kent, Wash., the 2012 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating’s first event of the season, this weekend. NBC will begin its coverage this Sunday at 4 p.m. ET, with live coverage of the Ladies’ Free Skate and next-day coverage of the Men’s Free Skate. Universal Sports will re-air the NBC coverage on Sunday from 8-10 p.m. ET.

NBC and Universal Sports team up to present more than 47 hours of the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating this season beginning with Skate America and culminating with the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final, December 8 and December 9 from Sochi, Russia, the site of the 2014 Olympic Winter Games on NBC.

COMMENTATORS: Emmy Award-winning play-by-play announcer Mike ‘Doc’ Emrick, the lead voice of NBC’s NHL coverage, will make his figure skating play-by-play debut at Skate America alongside NBC’s Olympic figure skating analysts Scott Hamilton, Sandra Bezic and Tracy Wilson, with Andrea Joyce handling the interviews.

(NO TERRY??? Will Emrick be be better or worse than Hammond?)

Additionally the commentator team of Terry Gannon, Michael Weiss and Tara Lipinski will announce the remaining Grand Prix events on NBC, with Peter Carruthers filling in for Weiss during the event in Russia on Nov. 10. Carruthers will also host Universal Sports’ Grand Prix coverage, alongside Joyce, Tanith Belbin, Tonia Kwiatkowski and/or Judy Blumberg.
    Click on the link for more info.

From this press release, here is the joint NBC and Universal Sports TV broadcast schedule for the Grand Prix

schedule subject to change, ALL TIMES ET

NOTE - THE TABLE BELOW SUPERSEDES ANY INFORMATION POSTED PREVIOUSLY UPTHREAD!

Date Time (ET) Competition Event Network
    Sun., Oct. 21 4 p.m. - 6 p.m. Skate America Ladies & Mens' Free NBC
    8 p.m. - 10 p.m. Skate America Ladies & Mens' Free - Re-air Universal Sports
    Sat., Oct. 27 4 p.m. - 6 p.m. Skate Canada Pairs & Dance Free Universal Sports
    7:30 p.m. - 9 p.m. Skate Canada Men's Free Skate Universal Sports
    Sun., Oct. 28 2 p.m. - 4 p.m. Skate Canada Ladies & Mens' Free NBC
    7 p.m. - 9 p.m. Skate Canada Ladies & Mens' Free - Re-air Universal Sports
    Sat., Nov. 3 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. Cup of China Ladies & Mens' Free Universal Sports
    9 p.m. - 11 p.m. Cup of China Men's & Pairs' Free Universal Sports
    Sat., Nov. 10 4 p.m. - 6 p.m. Rostelecom
    Cup
    Men's & Pairs' Free Universal Sports
    7 p.m. - 8 p.m. Rostelecom
    Cup
    Free Dance Universal Sports
    Sun., Nov. 11 4 p.m. - 6 p.m. Rostelecom
    Cup
    Ladies & Mens' Free NBC
    6 p.m. - 8 p.m. Rostelecom
    Cup
    Ladies & Mens' Free - Re-air Universal Sports
    Sat., Nov. 17 4 p.m. - 6 p.m. Trophee
    Eric Bompard
    Men's & Pairs' Free Skate Universal Sports
    7 p.m. - 8 p.m. Trophee
    Eric Bompard
    Free Dance Universal Sports
    Sun., Nov. 18 2 p.m. - 4 p.m. Trophee
    Eric Bompard
    Ladies & Mens' Free NBC
    6 p.m. - 8 p.m. Trophee
    Eric Bompard
    Ladies & Mens' Free - Re-air Universal Sports
    Sat., Nov. 24 4 p.m. - 5 p.m. NHK Trophy Free Dance Universal Sports
    8 p.m. - 9 p.m. NHK Trophy Men's Free Universal Sports
    Sun., Nov. 25 2 p.m. - 4 p.m. NHK Trophy Ladies & Mens' Free NBC
    4 p.m. - 5 p.m. NHK Trophy Pairs Free Universal Sports
    7 p.m. - 9 p.m. NHK Trophy Ladies & Mens' Free - Re-air Universal Sports
    Sat., Dec. 8 5 p.m. - 6 p.m. GP Final Free Dance Universal Sports
    8 p.m. - 10 p.m. GP Final Men's & Pairs' Free Universal Sports
    Sun., Dec. 9 1 p.m. - 3 p.m. GP Final Ladies & Mens' Free NBC
    4 p.m. - 6 p.m. GP Final Ladies & Mens' Free - Re-air Universal Sports
    Last edited by HisWeirness; 10-18-2012 at 01:59 AM.

vCash
    Mike "Doc" Emrick talks non stop when doing NHL play by play - if he does the same with figure skating, it will drive us crazy.

It's as if no one is watching the game on TV but listening on radio instead. I'm not hopeful about this new addition to the broadcast team.
    Last edited by harekrishna43; 10-18-2012 at 01:38 AM. Reason: hit send too soon

vCash
    Thanks for the schedule. I'm glad to know Universal will be broadcasting some of the Grand Prix. I was beginning to be afraid we would only get streaming.

vCash
    I think Terry Gannon is busy with the WNBA playoffs. I just watched the second game and he was commentating. So, no Terry for Skate America.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    ^Thanks. It makes sense then that Terry would not be free if he is commentating on basketball.

vCash
    I'll miss Terry; but, I do understand why he's busy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast