Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    JEWELS.
    vCash

Lightbulb Figure Skating on TV in the USA (2012-13 Season)

Skate America is less than a month away!

Right now the only TV coverage listing I've found for the Grand Prix Series is Skate America on NBC.

Commentators: Terry Gannon, Scott Hamilton, Tracy Wilson, Andrea Joyce
    Source

Please check your local listings to confirm.

Universal Sports TV (DirecTV/Dish subscribers with the correct package) will probably cover the Grand Prix on their network, but I have not located a schedule or skating press release yet. Universal Sports TV network is not the NBC Sports Network.

Please post any additional TV coverage listings of figure skating in the United States that you can find.

vCash
    US TV coverage is pathetic. A year before the Olympics and the limited coverage is embarrassing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HisWeirness View Post
    Skate America is less than a month away!

Right now the only TV coverage listing I've found for the Grand Prix Series is Skate America on NBC.

Commentators: Terry Gannon, Scott Hamilton, Tracy Wilson, Andrea Joyce
    Source

Please check your local listings to confirm.

Universal Sports TV (DirecTV/Dish subscribers with the correct package) will probably cover the Grand Prix on their network, but I have not located a schedule or skating press release yet. Universal Sports TV network is not the NBC Sports Network.

Please post any additional TV coverage listings of figure skating in the United States that you can find.
    I'm hoping there might be more on NBCSports channel or Universal. Sometimes the press releases don't cover those.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    US TV coverage is pathetic. A year before the Olympics and the limited coverage is embarrassing.
    Universal Sports has had excellent live and same-day coverage of the Grand Prix and Worlds for the last three seasons. Unfortunately, not many people get US.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    I'm hoping there might be more on NBCSports channel or Universal. Sometimes the press releases don't cover those.
    There's been no evidence that NBC Sports plans to show figure skating. I think Universal Sports is still going to have it. That's why you can subscribe to the Universal Sports online feed of the Grand Prix series unless you have Universal Sports as part of your cable package.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    There's been no evidence that NBC Sports plans to show figure skating. I think Universal Sports is still going to have it. That's why you can subscribe to the Universal Sports online feed of the Grand Prix series unless you have Universal Sports as part of your cable package.
    You're right that Universal has the rights to the Grand Prix - except Skate America. Those rights have always been separate. You are also right that there is no evidence that NBC Sports plans to show figure skating.

I was surprised, however, with the way NBC Sports had so much of the summer Olympic coverage while Universal had nothing. This was a change from the 2010 programming. My wish is based on the changes NBC has been making as to which channel gets to show what, when NBC has the rights (as they do for Skate America).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    I'm completely confused by this. I thought you COULD NOT subscribe to Universal Sports online unless you have Universal Sports as part of your cable package

Since I don't have Universal Sports in my cable package, I went with Icenetwork with the delayed coverage of the Grand Prix. Can anyone clarify this for me?? Thanks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maureenfarone View Post
    I'm completely confused by this. I thought you COULD NOT subscribe to Universal Sports online unless you have Universal Sports as part of your cable package

Since I don't have Universal Sports in my cable package, I went with Icenetwork with the delayed coverage of the Grand Prix. Can anyone clarify this for me?? Thanks.
    You are correct. If you get Universal Sports as part of your TV package, you can watch Universal streaming and only videos for free. There is no longer a way to subscribe to only online coverage.

vCash
    Thanks A. H. Black for clarifying for me

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Universal Sports is part of the Sports Pack that can be ordered with DirecTV. It also includes other channels like Comcast SportsNet, ESPN Classic, Fox Soccer, GolTV, Prime Ticket, Sun Sports, Outdoor Channel, Sportsman Channel, etc.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maureenfarone View Post

That's what I meant. Sorry.

JEWELS.
    vCash
    We've got Skate Canada coverage (and more Terry! ):

ISU GRAND PRIX FIGURE SKATING (LIVE) [Skate Canada]

Commentators: Terry Gannon, Michael Weiss, Tara Lipinski

Site: Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Source

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Is Universal Sports showing the GP live and on-demand on their website this season for those with a login from DirecTV, Dish, etc?
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    Is Universal Sports showing the GP live and on-demand on their website this season for those with a login from DirecTV, Dish, etc?
    They should but there is no announcement or schedule yet.

vCash
    According to Heather's TV schedule - http://heatherw.com/mk/sch.htm NBC will have 2-hour broadcasts of 5 of the 6 Grand Prix Events and Grand Prix finals. I don't see a listing for Cup of China.

vCash
    According to Heather's TV schedule - http://heatherw.com/mk/sch.htm NBC will have 2-hour broadcasts of 5 of the 6 Grand Prix Events and Grand Prix finals. I don't see a listing for Cup of China.
    I just saw that. Man, I hope that's accurate. Two hours each isn't much...except in comparison to what you get if you don't have Universal.

JEWELS.
    vCash
    Went through the tvguide.com listings today and found a listing for Skate America on Universal Sports TV:

Universal Sports TV Network
    Sunday, October 21: 8pm-10pm Eastern
    Skate America men's and women's free skate in Kent, Wash.

Sunday, October 21: 11pm-1am (10/22) Eastern

Looks like the same show being shown twice. This program could be a repeat of the 2 hour coverage on NBC being shown earlier on Sunday, Oct. 21 from 4-6pm Eastern.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HisWeirness View Post
    Went through the tvguide.com listings today and found a listing for Skate America on Universal Sports TV:

Universal Sports TV Network
    Sunday, October 21: 8pm-10pm Eastern

Sunday, October 21: 11pm-1am (10/22) Eastern

Looks like the same show being shown twice. This program could be a repeat of the 2 hour coverage on NBC being shown earlier on Sunday, Oct. 21 from 4-6pm Eastern.
    Yeah, this looks like a repeat of the NBC coverage. I hope Universal Sports will have some live coverage of the short programs, pairs, and dance like they have the last 3 or 4 years.

vCash
    I wonder if Universal Sports will only show what's being shown on NBC because Ice Network has the rights to the live coverage?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Simone411 View Post
    Universal Sports is part of the Sports Pack that can be ordered with DirecTV. It also includes other channels like Comcast SportsNet, ESPN Classic, Fox Soccer, GolTV, Prime Ticket, Sun Sports, Outdoor Channel, Sportsman Channel, etc.
    Which is nice except for those of us who can't get DirecTV.

NBC chacks Cup of China every year. I wonder if they have trouble getting broadcast rights from China or something.

Anyway, thank goodness for the NBC coverage! Not much but way better than nothing. I just have to hope my local affiliate doesn't pre-empt it for football games as they so often do.

Figure skating gets no respect!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast