Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
    vCash
    This is just a local competition....
    I think she peaked really early last year and this year she wants to peak at the right time.

Once she is comfortable with jump layout I think she will be fine.

vCash
    I don't quite get this "peaking." Alicia Markova, Gelsey Kirkland, Barishnikov, etc, didn't peak at certain times of the year. They performed extremely difficult ballets day in, day out, throughout the year.

vCash
    "Periodization" is explained in Skate Canada's Guide to Long-Term Athlete Development manual: http://skatecanada.ca/portals/2/en/s...d%20manual.pdf

Excerpt from page 10:
    7. Periodization: planning, training, competition and recovery

Simply put, designing a yearly plan is time management. It means planning the right activities with the adequate degree of difficulty and in the right sequence to reach the training and competition objectives sought. The plan must be broken down into workable units. The proper sequencing of these units is critical for success.

In order to reach optimal performance in a competition environment, the training units have to be sequenced in the following manner.

1. Development of the performance capacity of the athlete. The performance factors are: sport specific skills, routine/choreography coupled with artistic expression, physical components and mental skills
    2. Integration of the performance factors in a complex and harmonious blend
    3. Preparation of the athlete to perform at identified competitions.
    I wonder if Kaetlyn will go to Finlandia Trophy (Oct. 4-6) this year?
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-12-2013 at 02:04 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    "Periodization" is explained in Skate Canada's Guide to Long-Term Athlete Development manual: http://skatecanada.ca/portals/2/en/s...d%20manual.pdf

Excerpt from page 10:

I wonder if Kaetlyn will go to Finlandia Trophy (Oct. 4-6) this year?
    Thanks Sylvia.
    I hope she gets to go to finlandia as well. I think TS will be there as well.

vCash
    At the Quebec competition, Seguin and Ouellet each landed 6 triples in their FSs, and Mallet landed 4 in hers. It's all well and good for Kaetlyn to pace herself, but like it or not, comparisons are going to be made.

vCash
    Seguin and Rioux Ouellet both are preparing for the JGP (both competed at Skate Detroit last month) and Mallet started her competition season at Liberty in mid-July because she was hoping to be considered for a Senior B if she did well there (and it worked!). They are on different periodization/training schedules than Osmond.

ETA:
    Last year, Osmond started her season at Skate Detroit - she finished 2nd (scored 132 combined) in her qual. group and 3rd in the Final round (scored 100) behind Hannah Miller (111) and Gracie Gold (110). Osmond subsequently skated at Wild Rose and improved her SP by about 9 points from Detroit and scored about the same in the FS (99).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-12-2013 at 03:23 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Wasn't Nebelhorn her big break out? I think Finlandia is quite close in terms of the calendar, to the North American Grand Prixs. Would think the opportunity to compete a bit earlier, especially if needing to travel far (to Europe) would make more sense for her.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oliver View Post
    I don't quite get this "peaking." Alicia Markova, Gelsey Kirkland, Barishnikov, etc, didn't peak at certain times of the year. They performed extremely difficult ballets day in, day out, throughout the year.
    you can't compare ballet with skating.. Having been involved with both its totally different on your cardio.. it would be better to compare to speed skating.. or any sport that combines agility and balance with cardio..you do need to peak and periodization is a key aspect of training.. the link from Sylvia will help you understand..
    Last edited by 4rkidz; 08-12-2013 at 06:33 AM.
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    you can't compare ballet with skating.. Having been involved with both its totally different on your cardio.. it would be better to compare to speed skating.. or any sport that combines agility and balance with cardio..you do need to peak and periodization is a key aspect of training.. the link from Sylvia will help you understand..
    4rkidz, as a result of your post above, I googled 'difference between ballet and figure skating', and this showed up:

Raynal, Wes., Horse Power, Autoweek 63.11 (May 27, 2013): 16. :
    We went straight to the aptly named Kentucky Horse Park not knowing what to expect. Turns out this is one tough sport. Day one's competition is called dressage. An old form of horse training, some call dressage "ballet on horseback"--think figure skating. Both horse and rider have to be athletic but elegant. The course is difficult; judges look at every precise move and review based on rider position, and the horse's pace and behavior. The goal: a stately, graceful horse and rider.
    The author thinks figure skating is akin to 'ballet on horseback'. I wish to add .... "a horse (waist down) which can twist, turn, jump, gallop long and short with complicated steps", while its rider (upper body) remain upright and elegant.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Her jumps are just soooo out of control it's kinda terrifying. The 2A swingyness kills me.

vCash
    No, this wasn't a great skate. But this is an 18 year old (I think?) preparing for her second year of senior competition and performing in August. What do you want?

I loved the personality I saw in this program. It was aggressive in a good sense - in the sense of attack - and likewise, out of control - in the sense of going for broke. A refreshing alternative to the ice princess and/or baby ballerina. And also, I love her joy and exuberance

It is quite possible that Kaetlyn is going to mature into a really interesting skater who stands out from the pack. I look forward to watching her grow.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    No, this wasn't a great skate. But this is an 18 year old (I think?) preparing for her second year of senior competition and performing in August. What do you want?

I loved the personality I saw in this program. It was aggressive in a good sense - in the sense of attack - and likewise, out of control - in the sense of going for broke. A refreshing alternative to the ice princess and/or baby ballerina. And also, I love her joy and exuberance

It is quite possible that Kaetlyn is going to mature into a really interesting skater who stands out from the pack. I look forward to watching her grow.
    Well said.

I recall Joanie at a similar age. She also needed a few years to mature as a skater.
    Of course one wishes that last year was not a flash in the pan.

vCash
    She needs to ditch that Beillman from one side of the head to the other, or at least limit it's use.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    She needs to ditch that Beillman from one side of the head to the other, or at least limit it's use.
    ITA. I'm not sure why they think it's a good idea to include this move in every program?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    ...But this is an 18 year old (I think?)...
    Her birthday is at the beginning of December, hence she is still 17 at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    A demonstration of balance no doubt. I'm guessing it is difficult to perform, since moving the leg from one side to the other while in an awkward position probably causes a shift of the balance point on the standing leg. The question is, do the judges appreciate it?
    Last edited by rvi5; 08-12-2013 at 06:30 PM.

vCash
    I just wish people would cut her some slack, afterall, it's just a little summer comp. But I guess it's just too much to ask of some who delight in putting young Canadian skaters down. I'm sure she will improve over the weeks and months and be competition ready when it matters.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    I just wish people would cut her some slack, afterall, it's just a little summer comp. But I guess it's just too much to ask of some who delight in putting young Canadian skaters down. I'm sure she will improve over the weeks and months and be competition ready when it matters.
    For some posters, it's emphasis on Canadian skaters...

One August competition does not a season make....I'll save judgement until later in the season.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Banned Member
    vCash
    For me, Kaetlyn and her skating are nice and everything, but compared to the rest of the skaters of the world, she is bland.

There is nothing remarkable about her skating, her jumps, her spins or her presentation. For me, she is forgettable.

Actually, for me, so is Joannie Rochette, that is, forgettable. Kaetlyn reminds me a lot of this feature, forgettable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PairSk8Fan View Post
    For me, Kaetlyn and her skating are nice and everything, but compared to the rest of the skaters of the world, she is bland.
    I probably shouldn't rise to this ... but I will. Like most elite skaters, Kaetlyn has many things she could improve on. I am sure she and her team are well aware of this. That said, of all the descriptions, both positive and negative, one could use to describe Kaetlyn, IMHO, bland is definitely not one of them.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    ^ ita with mag. Bland is about the last word I would use to describe Kaetlyn.

Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast