Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

vCash
    Skate Canada pretty much bases their selections on Nationals. I don't see that Daleman and Chartrand present much of a threat to Kaetlyn. She could beat them on PCS alone.

vCash
    I can't see ANYONE right now in Canada who is better than Kaetlyn when it comes to ladies.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Kaetlyn has proven herself internationally. They'll send her no matter what. Even if she for some reason has to miss Canadians (say for illness or something), they'll send her. She's top 10 in the world, top 5 (should have been top 2) in the SP.

vCash
    Any confirmation that Kaetlyn will skate at WTT?
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Yes. In a telephone interview with NF CBC after Worlds she mentioned that her next event was WTT. The link is posted on her FB page. Cute piece, her older brother and sister were in the studio while the interview was taking place and contributed some comments about Kaetlyn as a little girl.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Kaetlyn's rate of progression is quite astounding, her debut result at Senior worlds ranks among the highest of Canadian ladies:

in the past 40 years:

6th: Josee Chouinard (1991), Lisa Sargeant (1990)
    8th: Kaetlyn Osmond (2013), Kay Thomson (1982)
    9th: Susan Humphreys (1994)
    10th: Lynn Nightingale (1973), Cynthia Coull (1985)
    11th: Karen Preston (1989), Patricia Schmidt (1987)
    12th: Charlene Wong (1983), Kim Alletson (1975)
    13th: Mira Leung (2006), Elizabeth Manley (1982), Heather Kemkaran (1977)
    14th: Tracey Wainman (1980)
    16th: Amelie Lacoste (2011)
    17th: Joannie Rochette (2003)
    19th: Jennifer Robinson (1995), Janet Morrissey (1979)
    20th: Cynthia Phaneuf (2005), Angela Derochie (1998)
    Last edited by Seerek; 03-29-2013 at 12:48 AM.

vCash
    It was indeed a wonderful placement. I think if she hadn't skated in the last group, we would have seen a better fs and a top five finish. However, it's all a learning experience for her and I'm sure she and her coach will put it to good use for the future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    It was indeed a wonderful placement. I think if she hadn't skated in the last group, we would have seen a better fs and a top five finish. However, it's all a learning experience for her and I'm sure she and her coach will put it to good use for the future.

Skating in the last group in 4th place would have tended to make her feel more secure about staying top 10. NOT skating in the last group would have increased her nerves even more---the pressure would have been greater if she was starting out in 7th place. And she would have had a lower SP score-say around 61.00, a loss of 3.71 points, and she would have had to skate after Gold and Li, both of whom landed 7 triples. I don't think the result would have been any different.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    I can't see ANYONE right now in Canada who is better than Kaetlyn when it comes to ladies.
    Any thoughts on Gabrielle Daleman though? I luuuurve the spring on her jumps.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Really love Osmond, so much personality. Reminds me a bit of Nicole Bobek...definetly can work a crowd!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    Any thoughts on Gabrielle Daleman though? I luuuurve the spring on her jumps.
    I loved what I saw of Daleman at Canadians. I didn't think she was quite there in terms of what Kaetlyn showed in her programs, but I don't think she's too far behind. She (Daleman) seems to have the ability to shake off when she falls on a jump and IIRC, she was whipping off 3-3s in practice -- and if I'm not recalling that correctly, anyone who WAS at Canadians can feel free to correct me. I was really pleased with what I saw of the younger ladies at that competition and if they master the puberty monster, I can see Kaetlyn being challenged for that top spot next year. For me, though, KO had it in spades! When it was time to compete, she just shone and you could tell she was enjoying her moment in the spotlight. Wasn't quite the same when it was time for the Free at World's but then -- for me at least -- it was about getting her feet wet in that kind of competition.

What was difficult to watch was LaCoste. She would start her program with such fire and then after a mistake (or two) I could swear I'd see the fight almost gone out of her. I'm glad she had the chance to attend World's last year as I believe it will be the last time she competes at that level. There just seems like a lot of talent in the younger ladies.

Oh, can I just say again how thrilled and proud I am for how well Kaetlyn did skate. I think she did our nation proud.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash

Kaetlyn Osmond - Canada's hope

Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    Skating in the last group in 4th place would have tended to make her feel more secure about staying top 10. NOT skating in the last group would have increased her nerves even more---
    It depends on what was on her mind at the time. Was she more immediately concerned about not making the top 10, or not being dead last by a significant gap within that final group (considering who she was skating with)? If the latter, it may have been better if other newbies had been there to share the load. However, she found herself alone. Could she have been thinking about closing the score gap? When you want something badly enough that you begin to worry, that is when you will be more likely to make mistakes.

Clearly something was on her mind during the warm-up. She didn't have her usual big smile when the audience cheered as she stepped onto the ice, or after her name had been announced.

In either case, she did well enough. If I am not mistaken, her skate was more-or-less how she normally performs that LP, with the exception of one additional fall.
    Last edited by rvi5; 03-30-2013 at 03:38 AM.

vCash
    I always notice a skater's face when they're in their starting position - and to me she did look quite tense. I'm no competitor so I don't know what she might have been thinking, but if she wasn't intimidated by the presense of Yuna, Mao and Carolina - figure skating royalty - then she can't have a single nerve in her body.

vCash
    Exactly. Skating with three world champions? Perhaps a bit intimidating. She did well.

vCash
    You never know. Daleman (15) and Chartrand (16) are young and have lots of potential. As with Osmond, anything can happen to a skater...like gaining weight for example, motivation or any physical changes in the body and vuala, jumps and overall performance are not as before. Osmond wasn't long enough around yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marii View Post
    You never know. Daleman (15) and Chartrand (16) are young and have lots of potential. As with Osmond, anything can happen to a skater...like gaining weight for example, motivation or any physical changes in the body and vuala, jumps and overall performance are not as before. Osmond wasn't long enough around yet.
    I think I've read *somewhere* that Osmond has pretty much "blossomed" into her adult body so I don't think there would be any of the puberty monster changes going on with her.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    I'd just like to see Osmond with more flattering costumes next season. Both the SP and FS costumes were too busy and made her look chunky through the middle, which she surely is not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    I'd just like to see Osmond with more flattering costumes next season. Both the SP and FS costumes were too busy and made her look chunky through the middle, which she surely is not.
    I agree, I'm always, well I don't want to say surprised, but just really notice how different she looks in interviews and pictures of her in practice clothes. She's fairly broad through the shoulders, but is very fit and trim. In practice clothes, you can see why she's such a terrific jumper, lean with very defined muscles. But that doesn't come out in her costumes. The SP dress wasn't so bad but the FS one was really not flattering, it did make her look thick and she is definitely not at all! I think she could rock a unitard personally, or just a dress with less of an open back would be better. She's a beautiful girl and her dark coloring I think could also be better showcased in different colors of costumes, like fuschia or turquoise.

vCash
    I liked her SP dress but not the Lp dress. I also think she would "rock a unitard" if the program called for it.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    A little off topic, how much does a dress cost (approx) for an elite level skater?

Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast