Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    Article on Lance Vipond, Kaetlyn's Choreographer: http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/201...-skaters-moves
    He's 40??!! Thanks for posting---the words I think of when I watch her skate are fresh of refreshing or breath of fresh air. I said before that her joy reminds me of Kwan's joy when she skated. Her skating skills are all her own. How refreshing.

vCash
    A July 2009 article about Lance Vipond: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    He also started doing skating choreography and soon found success. When he decided he didn't want to continue performing in musical theatre, he soon found skating choreography consuming his time. He choreographed for most of the top skaters in Alberta, including Natasha Purich and Kaetlyn Osmond, the 2009 Canadian ladies pre-novice and novice champions, respectively. He has also choreographed for Vaughn Chipeur and Joey Russell, and he did two programs for Jamie Salé and David Pelletier that they performed on the TV special, Holiday Festival on Ice.

After his appearances with National Ice Theatre of Canada, Vipond was contacted by Frank D'Agostino, creator of the show Cold as Ice, which starred Oksana Baiul. Originally, D'Agostino had envisioned a show where the skaters also acted and sang, which excited Vipond. Although the production evolved into separate casts performing the skating and acting parts, Vipond stayed on. He enjoyed it but said those were his final skating performances.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Pre-worlds article: Canadian Kaetlyn Osmond has reached world prominence much quicker than anticipated

“There were certain things you learn and it’s a huge thing trying to have a 16-year-old look more mature, more sophisticated, the classiness, and have that (whole) package,” Walia said. “Very few people in the world can perform the way she can. She’s very intelligent and she knows what she has to do, but she’s also a kid and I’m not going to change that in her. That’s the best part of her skating.”

She had the jumps, but not nearly enough these days.

“Her component mark (at nationals last year) was quite significantly lower than the top two girls,” he said. “She was just turning 16 and I thought, ‘This can’t happen.’ I don’t want her relying on the jumps. I want her to go in and be the strongest in that area. I wasn’t sure how can someone who’s 16 compete with 24-year-olds?

“It was all the details, refining and polishing every movement.”
    They certainly have accomplished this goal. I watched the women’s free program from Jr. Worlds this weekend, and couldn’t picture Kaetlyn still skating at this level even though she has two years of eligibility left.

If she skates like she can, she will open up another Olympic berth for a Canadian female. Many have faith she can do what Rochette and Elizabeth Manley managed.

“It makes me a little nervous but they’re saying it because they think I’m good,” she said. “I have to remember that’s a good thing they’re thinking that way.”
    Well, maybe not Sochi , but 2018, you never know……I just wish she’d had the opportunity to go to Worlds at least once as our #2 woman. Hopefully it will be a good experience for her.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    Well, maybe not Sochi , but 2018, you never know……I just wish she’d had the opportunity to go to Worlds at least once as our #2 woman. Hopefully it will be a good experience for her.
    I see where you are coming from, but I wish the mentality would change to go big or go home, especially with Canadian women. Someone like Yuna Kim did not have the luxury of being the #2 woman and look what she accomplished.

Going to worlds as #1 or #2 for the first time would most likely be a shock for anyone.

I hope that Kaetlyn's experience at 4CC has been valuable that she will place well at worlds, hopefully giving Canada two spots at the Olympics.

vCash
    I *think* she is more inspired by a home crowd vs a foreign crowd. I think the 4CC jitters and the super strong ladies field are forcing us all to embrace that top 10 is not the lock it would have been if she was skating even a year or two ago. Maybe that's taking the pressure off everyone in this go round. Still, her name just has to come up on everyone's list skaters with strong potential to hit top 10.

SP will be so key. If she skates it like she did at SC, she would score about 65 which could place her in top 8 and drag some PCS love into the LP to keep her afloat. A fall and mid-50s and I think the dream would be over for this year.

vCash
    Good Luck at Worlds, Kaetlyn! Be proud, be happy and be strong. Do your best and we'll all be rewarded!

vCash
    Edmonton Journal article: ‘Full family sacrifice’ big reason behind success of Edmonton figure skater Kaetlyn Osmond
    Excerpt:
    “It’s a full family sacrifice,” said [mom] Jackie. “You have to put a lot of family trips on the back burners, Our family trips are basically going to figure skating competitions,” [dad] Jeff said, laughing. “We got to see a lot of the country because of it.”

Some sports can come with a high price tag — figure skating is one of them.

“On an average year, right now at senior level … competitions and everything, you’re looking at roughly $60,000,” Jeff said, adding they have an advantage because Kaetlyn is living at home.

The Osmonds said they’ve always been honest with coaches with how much they can afford each month, even when they were back in Marystown.

They will sit down with Walia next month to go over the plan for Kaetlyn’s Olympic year with the 2014 Sochi Games 11 months away.

“He’s puts a lot of thought into what competitions we’re going to do,” Jeff said of Walia. “Try and minimize costs, but also maximize exposure.”

Jackie said Walia gives them “a good idea each year how much money we are going to need.”

“They were always willing to commit to the plan,” said Walia. “They are a big part of the reason of Kaetlyn’s success.”
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-12-2013 at 04:30 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I did not read the article, but these journalists.... I hope Kaetlyn doesn't lay her eyes on this article, because the title alone is enough to weigh her down like a ton of bricks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sonya71 View Post
    I did not read the article, but these journalists.... I hope Kaetlyn doesn't lay her eyes on this article, because the title alone is enough to weigh her down like a ton of bricks.
    Maybe you should read the article? Her parent's sound like great supportive people and I'm sure Kaetlyn is aware of the sacrifices her parent's have made for both her and her sister.

Who knows, maybe a potential sponsor will read the article and help her family contribute to her training costs?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sonya71 View Post
    Don't be so quick to judge an article without reading it... it's actually a really nice piece.
    It's nice to read that she has such a supportive family.

vCash
    Kaetlyn looking jittery on practice, shaky run through of the short pops a few salchows but she's getting her legs under her now. Here's hoping she gets the shakes out now and performs the hell out of it all in competition!

vCash
    Even if she has a rough short program, that isn't necessarily awful. This is her first worlds, and she just needs to get through it. A problem in the short is an opportunity to learn to come back strong in the free skate. At Kwan's first worlds, she single-handedly fought in the freeskate to break the top 10 and keep two USA spots. It was a good experience. Whatever happens will make Osmond stronger after this.

vCash
    Oh absolutely! She's had a magical season already, she should just appreciate that and relax. She's in a tough practice group too with the three Japanese girls, I think that's part of what's making her a bit spooked.

I did notice she got *huge* applause when they announced her name and then later her music.

ETA: After falling on a couple of lutzes, she just went and nailed a 3lutz-3toe

vCash
    Perhaps she has been working towards getting the edge calls out of her lutzes. In the beginning, it can throw you off your game when you suddenly change your habits. We shall see if she succeeded soon enough.
    Last edited by rvi5; 03-13-2013 at 11:37 AM.

vCash
    The latest: Canada’s Kaetlyn Osmond living in, loving figure skating worlds spotlight

Coach Ravi not showing her any mercy :

“I’m happy that her first worlds is in an event that is this strong. It’s the worlds, she should really have to fight to be in the mix,” Walia said.
    How much you wanna bet he asked for her to be in the practice group with the Japanese girls? Tough love baby.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    The latest: Canada’s Kaetlyn Osmond living in, loving figure skating worlds spotlight

Coach Ravi not showing her any mercy :

How much you wanna bet he asked for her to be in the practice group with the Japanese girls? Tough love baby.

Tough love works
    Kaetlyn rocked her program.
    Her smile lit up the rink and we were on our feet for the last half minute

vCash
    Just WOW!
    Now i am nervouse- could ice dancers support all others teammates, who showed there best?

vCash
    Kosnter in 2nd after falling on her ass........wow judging is phenominal today

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
    And you posted this in a thread about Kaetlyn why?!

Thrilled for Kaetlyn! She really held it together in the short. Here's hoping she can move up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
    Can you stop making snide little comments in various fan related threads about the results. Everything you post is so whiney and obnoxious.

Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast