Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    I don't know. Canadian skating expectations are so uproarious and rosy that they betray an underlying insecurity created by decades of Olympic failures. Orser, Browning, Elvis, Brasseur and Eisler, Bourne and Kratz, and even Sale and Pelletier. World Champions all, but Olympic champions none.*
    I am not Canadian but I can understand their excitement when Katelyn shows promise, and I am certain they are still excited about her prospects. I will too if I am Canadian. This type of 'excitement' or over-hyping as you call it, is normal. Canadians are not the only ones who get excited over promising figure skaters. Why should Canada not being able to produce a gold Olympic medallist create insecurity? In fact, I think it should create hope but we all (including Canadians) know hope is hope, and it may or may not materialise. I would rather live in hope than bitterness. Hope is like a ray of light whereas bitterness is darkness.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Sale and Pelletier were Olympic Champions...

I don't know. Canadian skating expectations are so uproarious and rosy that they betray an underlying insecurity created by decades of Olympic failures. Orser, Browning, Elvis, Brasseur and Eisler, Bourne and Kratz, and even Sale and Pelletier. World Champions all, but Olympic champions none.*

Joannie Rochette, on her second Olympic try, managed to meet expectations. And Virtue and Moir made a first for Canada in decades by being reigning world champs in an Olympic year and acheiving an undisputed gold medal. So Canada is hopefully gaining more confidence, but I think insecurities can be fed by over-hyping skaters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    I am not Canadian but I can understand their excitement when Katelyn shows promise, and I am certain they are still excited about her prospects. I will too if I am Canadian. This type of 'excitement' or over-hyping as you call it, is normal. Canadians are not the only ones who get excited over promising figure skaters. Why should Canada not being able to produce a gold Olympic medallist create insecurity? In fact, I think it should create hope but we all (including Canadians) know hope is hope, and it may or may not materialise. I would rather live in hope than bitterness. Hope is like a ray of light whereas bitterness is darkness.
    Well said....my sentiments exactly.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    Just curious - why are you so concerned about the well-being of Kaetlyn's fans, anyway?
    Amazing isn't it? Euterpe is worried about Kaetlyn fans and TheIronLady is concerned over Canada's sensibilities.

vCash

Kaetlyn Osmond - Canada's hope

Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    Worlds could be just as intimidating with the addition of Yu-Na, Kostner, Korpi and the Russian girls.
    One thing Kaetlyn has going for her in London is the cheering Canadian crowd. I am not saying the crowd will necessarily directly influence the judges (although it may be possible). However, the fans will almost certainly energize Kaetlyn with their support. It didn't appear to me she had as much attack in her SP at 4CC as she had at SCI and Nationals. She may have been nervous and more cautious, or it could be because she was not energized by a loud cheering audience. Perhaps both.

ETA:

Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    The good thing now is that Kaetlyn's fans are taking a more realistic view of her chances at Worlds
    Actually to be accurate, the number of fans with over zealous expectations were just a small group. I think most Osmond fans are only "hoping" she can earn 2 spots for next season. For some reason, many people seem to collectively blame all Kaetlyn fans for the actions of a few.
    Last edited by rvi5; 02-10-2013 at 10:56 PM.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    So Canada is hopefully gaining more confidence, but I think insecurities can be fed by over-hyping skaters.
    I believe there was a second country that also over-hyped one of their skaters. I cannot remember which country is was, however. I think it happend in the 70's.

Interesting definition of "failure" that you have. Your resume must be amazing!!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I believe there was a second country that also over-hyped one of their skaters. I cannot remember which country is was, however. I think it happend in the 70's.

Interesting definition of "failure" that you have. Your resume must be amazing!!
    Awwwww Peter, you just continue to keep me in love with you!
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    I don't remember one instance of other countries placing high expectations on their skaters. Never ever. If Kaetlyn only ends up second in Sochi, I'm sure one of our other Canadian babies will pick up the slack.

vCash
    LOL!

My post was a little obnoxious and didn't offer much new. I just am myself convinced that hype about Kaetlyn got quickly overboard to the point of drowning. I suppose people will get excited about things that I might disagree with, and it is not my place to critique their fandom or enthusiasm. So your point is taken. I apologize for being obnoxious.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    Awwwww Peter, you just continue to keep me in love with you!
    ditto this.

Now where is that handy dandy little ignore button?

vCash
    I've seen more talk about the hype than actual hype... And it's not like Kaetlyn would the first skater being hyped. What about Gracie Gold's hype before she even skated a single senior competition? And the russian girls when they were only juniors? And Max Aaron who was almost crowned Word medalist after winning US nationals? It's only criticized when Canadians do it... Must be our inferiority complex. Honestly I think most of her fans have realistic expectations. Top 10 at Worlds with a good skate.
    Last edited by Alvyne; 02-11-2013 at 02:32 AM.

Not summer :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rvi5 View Post
    Actually there were some over zealous fans at GS who were doing just that...triggering more Osmond bashing by others at that site.
    That's GS, not here. The only overhyping came from a Korean article...

We Canucks are a hardy bunch...I'm sure we'll survive whatever happens in March...
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rvi5 View Post
    Actually to be accurate, the number of fans with over zealous expectations were just a small group. I think most Osmond fans are only "hoping" she can earn 2 spots for next season. For some reason, many people seem to collectively blame all Kaetlyn fans for the actions of a few.
    Actually, as a big fan of Osmond's, I AM hoping for more. But there's a difference between hoping for something and outright predicting it to happen. And I don't need anyone to tell me what I should and should not be hoping for.
    Last edited by shine; 02-11-2013 at 03:05 AM.

vCash
    LOL!

My post was a little obnoxious and didn't offer much new. I just am myself convinced that hype about Kaetlyn got quickly overboard to the point of drowning. I suppose people will get excited about things that I might disagree with, and it is not my place to critique their fandom or enthusiasm. So your point is taken. I apologize for being obnoxious.
    I look for your threads and what you have to say about how the ladies are judged. It is my favorite discipline but my knowledge is only that of the casual fan. I don't know the thread title but your points about US judging were thought provoking.

vCash
    Some thoughts from Kaetlyn regarding 4CC here here:

“It was definitely a great experience here and I learned a lot from this competition,” said the 17-year-old Osmond. “There were a couple of mistakes but for me it was still a great preparation for the world championships.”
    Just to put these results into a bit of perspective, Joannie Rochette’s first trip to 4CC was in 2002 when she was the national bronze medallist. She finished 9th. She then had the luxury of going to 4CC on 2 more occasions and twice to senior Worlds as the #2 skater (thank you Top 10 Jen!). She finished 17th at her first Worlds, but it was NBD because she wasn’t our #1 woman. Kaetlyn isn’t so lucky. Not only are we sending her to Worlds as our lone entrant with the hope that she’ll finish in the top 10, we’re doing so in a pre-Olympic year when the results determine how many spots we’ll qualify for Sochi. That’s an awful lot to ask of a just barely 17-year-old girl in her first season as senior.

Personally, I still think she has a very good chance at a top 10 finish in London. But even if she doesn’t, my optimism about her future will be in no way diminished. I've been around Canadian skating for many years, and Kaetlyn may be the most natually talented female skater I've ever seen here.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    I wouldn't be nervous if I were her. If she only qualifies 1 spot for Canadian ladies for Sochi, that spot most likely will be hers anyway. It should be Lacoste that should be nervous for Osmond at Worlds.

vCash

I love you, Peter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    Amazing isn't it? Euterpe is worried about Kaetlyn fans and TheIronLady is concerned over Canada's sensibilities.
    So nice to know our 'friends' are so thoughtful and worry about us!
    Another friend from up north!

vCash
    Well the cracks are beginning to show. It was to be expected, she's only human and the pressure on her is intense.

Her performances at 4CC weren't good but still I think she got totally hosed on the PCS.

She has arguably the best programs this season and they were not adequately rewarded by the judges.

Quote Originally Posted by bonmil View Post
    Sale and Pelletier were Olympic Champions...
    Yes, because of the most ridiculous decision in the history of Olympic movement, caused by huge media pressure and a bullying of a judge who eventually cracked under pressure and withdrew her scores (which she now regrets).

vCash
    Professordeb (( PETERG )) Habs

Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast