Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Katelyn's development over the past 12 months is dramatic. Skating skills are the only major thing that needs a lot of work and that's just a matter of time.

My told me that some judges after the challenge event had considered giving her 10s in PCS. They felt they could rationalize it.

As much as many people would like to think otherwise, we have a real, exceptional, marketable talent on our hands. There is no limit to what she'll be able to do as it stands now. SC knows this.

vCash
    Oh yeah, plus Katelyn is the only senior lady who has a World's qualifying score

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post

...As much as many people would like to think otherwise, we have a real, exceptional, marketable talent on our hands. There is no limit to what she'll be able to do as it stands now. SC knows this.
    If she is as amazing as your post suggests, she should find a way to at least win the Canadian title. That is hardly a sky high benchmark to meet. If she loses it, then the truth may be less rosy.

vCash
    Why do the threads about Canadian ladies always have "hope" in them? Canada never seems to get tired of hoping.
    Do I infer from this that you consider hoping to be a negative trait? If so, I think that's rather sad.

I'd consider hoping to see the best from any skater to be a strongly positive trait. If it really is a national trait, than all the better, IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    Do I infer from this that you consider hoping to be a negative trait? If so, I think that's rather sad.

I'd consider hoping to see the best from any skater to be a strongly positive trait. If it really is a national trait, than all the better, IMO.
    No, I just think a dose of realism might help Canada's ladies improve their game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    No, I just think a dose of realism might help Canada's ladies improve their game.
    Realism about what? There's nothing wrong with hoping you get better while working at getting better too. I don't think Canadian ladies have any illusions about their capabilities in comparison to the rest of the international field.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    If she is as amazing as your post suggests, she should find a way to at least win the Canadian title. That is hardly a sky high benchmark to meet. If she loses it, then the truth may be less rosy.
    Couldn't disagree more.

Her potential will be realized over the long term. Yet over the short term it's true she is having success. She has won all 3 of her senior events to date at the national and international levels. it's not realistic, though, to expect any skater -- even someone exceptional -- to win every event they enter. So if she doesn't win nationals, I'd be surprised, but I would hardly be recalibrating my thoughts on her potential. I'd send her to worlds happily and be just as positive about her prospects.

vCash

My told me that some judges after the challenge event had considered giving her 10s in PCS. They felt they could rationalize it.
    Rationalize it as in, we had a couple of long island ice teas and a coronarita to top the night off before judging the event?

Mind you I'm a big Osmond fan and am totally going to uber for her at Worlds(crossing fingers and toes). Lurve her!

vCash
    Nothing wrong with "hoping" Canadian women do well. It appears that some are striving to improve enough to become future contenders, especially miss Osmond. To me it's a far more positive trait, than just giving up, or worse still: entitlement.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    BTW........go Kaitlyn!!!!
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    I know, it's funny. We can all talk about "hope" and "potential" and can send positive vibes, but there will always be those who interpret that as coronation. I think people read what they choose to read.

As a close friend and poster here has told me, "you know Kaetlyn's good because FSU is bashing her". I'll never forget that one...laughed for about half an hour. So, I'll take the nay-saying in stride...

vCash
    Caught her first practice at the mall today. Very hot and cold. Struggled with the double axel, triple toe combo. Missed it quite a few times. Very consistent flip and toe. Did not see any triple triple combos or the lutz. Assume she'll work on those in her later sessions.

Without a doubt, this girl has the "it" factor. I saw many shoppers stop to watch her. She just grabs you with her skating. I like how she uses her whole body and her movements seem very natural and fluid. Nothing forced or awkward. She also skates big. Uses the whole rink and gets close to the boards. A couple of months ago, I saw her working on her stroking so her team is aware she needs to keep pushing in all areas of her skating.

Good luck to her this week. I hope she skates her best and doesn't let the expectations get to her.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    BTW........go Kaitlyn!!!!
    Unfortunately, she injured herself and has withdrawn from Canadians. Best of luck to Ms. Osmond, however.

It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    New Kaetlyn Osmond article: http://olympic.ca/news/committee/osm...-bright-future
    Much of this breakthrough is attributed to a new dedication to her sport, both on and off the ice. This is something highly noticed by many in her camp, including coach Ravi Walia, a one-time national figure skater himself.

“In the last year she’s dedicated more of her time to skating,” said Walia, who has coached Osmond since she was 10. “She’s been doing Pilates, has a dietician and does a lot off-ice training. All things she’s done before, but a little more attention has been put into it and it has showed in her results. It’s really important to have that to reach the next level.”
    ETA article on Garrett Gosselin who speaks highly of Kaetlyn: http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Gar...812/story.html
    In an effort to calm his nerves before competition, Gosselin practised in Edmonton alongside one of Canada's top female skaters, Kaetlyn Osmond, who also will compete in Mississauga. Osmond won a bronze medal at the 2012 national championships in her first year at the senior level. She is one of Canada's brightest stars and someone Gosselin admires.

Gosselin admitted Osmond has a positive influence on him and his preparation for big events.

"She's human, and it was so good for me to see that," he said. "She makes just as many mistakes as I do, but she has a way of not really worrying about it. She doesn't dwell so much on the little things. She'll do 20 jumps and fall on 19 of them. But when she gets off the ice, she'll talk about how good that one jump was that she landed. I would be tearing myself apart and losing my mind, but she's the total opposite."
    I thought this was an interesting comment, especially in light of Flora's practice report above (thanks, Flora!).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 01-15-2013 at 10:10 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    That's a nasty cruel streak you've got there, PeterG.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Her potential will be realized over the long term. Yet over the short term it's true she is having success. She has won all 3 of her senior events to date at the national and international levels. it's not realistic, though, to expect any skater -- even someone exceptional -- to win every event they enter. So if she doesn't win nationals, I'd be surprised, but I would hardly be recalibrating my thoughts on her potential. I'd send her to worlds happily and be just as positive about her prospects.
    The event is Canadian Ladies. Expecting her to win it isn't really expecting much - look at the competition.

vCash
    Oh oh......I guess my spelling sucks.......so go Katelyn...
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    It's Kaetlyn. I've gotten it wrong several times myself. I've never seen it spelled that way before.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I really appreciate her dynamic personality, and the way she appears to lay it all on the line. It is a joy to watch someone skate with such obvious love for what she is doing. I wish her well, and hope she does everything she wishes to accomplish this week. At the same time, I have to wish for a successful skate for Amelie. She has tried so hard these last years.

vCash
    I just have to keep in mind who would do better at Worlds, and so far Amelie (as much as I like her) hasn't been able to make any progress.
    Addicted to FSU

Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast