Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

vCash
    Kaetlyn has been practicing the 3f/3t and 3lz/3t. She hasn't shown a 3l yet. Be interesting to see what she does in the upcoming season

vCash
    New article: Osmond excited to participate in team figure skating competition

Osmond said she’s looking to forward to her first World Team Trophy, but isn’t quite sure what to expect.

“I’m still pretty new to everything,” she said. “I’m excited to compete as a team.”

As with every event, Osmond’s coach, Ravi Walia, said he knows she will want to improve on her performance at the worlds.

“(It was) probably the best she’s ever skated,” Walia said.

After a fourth-place showing in the short program, Osmond found herself in the final flight of skaters for the free skate, including 2010 Olympic champion Yuna Kim from South Korea and 2011 world champion Carolina Kostner of Italy.

For Osmond to place in the final group was “an accomplishment,” Walia said.
    Have to agree with Ravi – for a young lady who finished just 10th at Jr Worlds last year, placing 4th in the SP and skating in the final group for the FP in her first Sr. Worlds is a pretty darn big accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Alixana View Post
    Kaetlyn needs to include her 3Z in competition and work on a more difficult 3/3 combo so that she's more even technically with the other skaters mentioned. But this year Kaetlyn was more consistent than the other 3 IMO and hence the success. All in all, great senior debut!
    She did have a 3lutz in her FP this year. Do you mean in the SP? Re: harder 3-3’s, since she's doing both 3lutz-3toe's and 3flip-3toe's in practice, I'm quite sure we’ll see one, or both, in her programs next season. Her goal this year was to get into the top 10 and her programs were designed with this in mind (not sure how many times this needs to be pointed out). Her goal for the upcoming season will undoubtedly be higher, so her new programs will be created accordingly. I’m very interested in finding out what music Lance Vipond has in mind for her. Like quartz, I’m hoping that she’ll try skating to something unconventional at some point, but next season might be too soon to expect that. No idea about the 3loop, she wasn't even trying it in practice IIRC.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Funny, I thought it was the lutz she was missing in comps. No matter, she has things to improve on but that doesn't take away from a very good year! Looking forward to next year.

vCash
    The plan for KO was to set her programs and then lock them early to pound the repetitions throughout the season. In so doing she could trust her training when going into bigger comps. The goal was 170 total points / top 10 at worlds which is again why the programs weren't changed around with new elements added. She has had 3/3s ready and the 3L since the fall but was told she couldn't add them in.

You're going to see a whole new plan for the coming year's programs. Because she gets edge calls on the Z, I'd consider leaving the same elements in the short and then seriously upgrade the long. However she'll prob do 3F/3T, 2A, 3Z in fall comps and see how that goes in the short. I'm fully expecting her programs to be designed to win her an Olympic medal although chances of that happening are remote at this point.

vCash
    Good luck Katetlyn and have lots of fun at the same time!
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    I saw relay of WTT and even when she makes mistakes she is still so enjoyable to watch! Canada has a treasure!

vCash
    Kaetlyn Osmond tweeted today:
    "Well I'm back on the planes again! Can't wait to get to Newfoundland! So excited"

This is where she'll perform:
    April 19-20 Silver Blades & Sparkling Blades Carnival – Grand Falls & Corner Brook, NL
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    What stamina! I have to give this young lady a lot of credit keeping her energy up in what has been a very long season. To think she started early fall, winning at Nebelhorn..entering Skate Canada with new fan expectations, what must have been tremendous pressure to win Canadians...and then Worlds in her home country - where many would have loved to see a medal. Not to mention 4CC and WTT. Congratulations to team Kaetlyn on what has truly been a 'breakout' year. Hope she gets to take a vacation!

vCash
    Well said La La Candy. She's certainly a treasure and a pleasure to watch. Her joy when she is on the ice is a fun thing to see.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    You're going to see a whole new plan for the coming year's programs. Because she gets edge calls on the Z, I'd consider leaving the same elements in the short and then seriously upgrade the long. However she'll prob do 3F/3T, 2A, 3Z in fall comps and see how that goes in the short. I'm fully expecting her programs to be designed to win her an Olympic medal although chances of that happening are remote at this point.
    Maybe the easiest thing to do is just fix the lutz? Do it now while she's still young. Opens up a lot more possibilties for the future. I'd like to see her shoot for making the GPF and top 6 at Worlds in the upcoming season. To do so, she'll probably need to upgrade the elements in the short as well as the long. Can't always count on others making errors.

Quote Originally Posted by La La Candy View Post
    What stamina! I have to give this young lady a lot of credit keeping her energy up in what has been a very long season. To think she started early fall, winning at Nebelhorn..entering Skate Canada with new fan expectations, what must have been tremendous pressure to win Canadians...and then Worlds in her home country - where many would have loved to see a medal. Not to mention 4CC and WTT. Congratulations to team Kaetlyn on what has truly been a 'breakout' year. Hope she gets to take a vacation!
    En route to the show in NL she also tweeted:

Weird moment when the security person at the airport asks if I fly a lot because he recognizes my computer
    Busy young lady, but tons of great experience. I was surprised she held up as well as she did at WTT, especially since she only had about a half day at home between the QC show and leaving for Japan.

vCash
    I don't think I'd mess with the difficulty in her SP - she's been consistent with it and has a triple-triple which is nothing to sneeze at in the senior women's competion. Kurt said that's why she's shooting for the highest group, and after her skate, Tracy Wilson said her SP Worlds mark had been beaten by only five or six others this season. I agree she will need to increase the difficulty of her LP, but they'll need to do it carefully because she hasn't been as consistent with it as the SP. I'm not expecting her to come out and get on the podium in Sochi, but what I like about Kaitlyn is her ability to skate just above what she should be doing - like that 4th place SP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    I don't think I'd mess with the difficulty in her SP - she's been consistent with it and has a triple-triple which is nothing to sneeze at in the senior women's competion. Kurt said that's why she's shooting for the highest group, and after her skate, Tracy Wilson said her SP Worlds mark had been beaten by only five or six others this season. I agree she will need to increase the difficulty of her LP, but they'll need to do it carefully because she hasn't been as consistent with it as the SP. I'm not expecting her to come out and get on the podium in Sochi, but what I like about Kaitlyn is her ability to skate just above what she should be doing - like that 4th place SP.
    I agree with this. There is a very likely scenario where she maintains the technical content in her SP. If she had a more reliable lutz that she could do out of footwork then I'd consider 3F/3T, 3Z, 2A. Something tells me we won't see that until the following year. What Walia can do is move the elements around to maybe push one more jumping element into the bonus. I expect that she will progress in PCS next year as well so she could realistically be targeting 67-68 for a SP score with a clean skate. Again I agree, leave it alone. She will put together an LP that could score 130 internationally if skated well so that will be a nice progression for next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    Busy young lady, but tons of great experience. I was surprised she held up as well as she did at WTT, especially since she only had about a half day at home between the QC show and leaving for Japan.
    Amazing! Ahhh to be young again...lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    I agree with this. There is a very likely scenario where she maintains the technical content in her SP. If she had a more reliable lutz that she could do out of footwork then I'd consider 3F/3T, 3Z, 2A. Something tells me we won't see that until the following year.
    She’s had the same content in her SP for 2 seasons now. We know the 3toe-3toe is solid; time to try something harder, IMHO. She’s capable. They started off last season with her doing a 3lutz-2toe, 3flip and 2A in her SP (see Wild Rose SP and Skate Detroit SP), probably with the plan to upgrade to 3lutz-3toe if it all went well. No harm in doing the same this year with the 3flip-3toe, 3lutz, and 2A. They just need to spend some time picking away at the takeoff on the lutz. Easy enough to switch back if it’s not working to Ravi’s satisfaction by the end of August.

vCash

vCash
    Coach Ravi Walia impressed by Osmond’s successes

I believe that you cannot rush the development of proper technique or take shortcuts to reach success. It is common for skaters to have set backs (growth spurts, injuries, distractions, etc) and this time has to be managed well. I tried to keep Kaetlyn motivated while teaching her strong basics and a good foundation for the more complex skills. Eventually, she began to improve and gained confidence. We took a step-by-step approach that seemed to work well for her.
    Terrific coach.

vCash
    World Figure Skating companion article: Kaetlyn Osmond: “I try to engage the crowd”

For the next season, I want the audience to see a whole new side to me. I showed this year that “Carmen” was a character I could portray very well, and next year I want to show a completely different side of me and hope the audience will like it.
    I really want to make the Grand Prix Final and place in the top six at Olympics or Worlds next season. This past season I achieved my goal of placing in the top ten and now I’m really excited to work towards the top six.

vCash
    I would say her current goals are achievable. She and her coach have a terrific attitude IMO. I'm certainly looking forward to what she has in store for us next year program-wise.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Interesting that they're shooting for top six at Sochi - that sure won't be easy. In addition to the K-K-A triumvirate, I expect the US, Russian and Japanese women all to bring it up a notch come Olympics. It's exciting for Canadians to have someone like Kaetlyn competing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    Interesting that they're shooting for top six at Sochi - that sure won't be easy. In addition to the K-K-A triumvirate, I expect the US, Russian and Japanese women all to bring it up a notch come Olympics. It's exciting for Canadians to have someone like Kaetlyn competing.
    Of course it won't be easy, but why are you here if you are not challenging yourself and aiming higher - especially for someone like Kaetlyn who's at the development stage and is as talented as she is? Besides, I don't think her goals are at all unrealistic. Afterall, she already placed 8th this year even with two falls in the freeskate and came in top 4 in the SP in one of the toughest fields ever (where many thought she should've been top 3 even). I think a key for her would be to up her game in the LP by having less mistakes than she did this season.
    Last edited by shine; 04-25-2013 at 02:29 PM.

Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast