Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    A little off topic, how much does a dress cost (approx) for an elite level skater?
    Marina Zoueva commented that Tessa Virtue's dresses could cost around two thousand dollars (this was during the Olympic season). I presume that was on the very high end, though.

vCash
    Her sp dress was around $1,000 according to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2_sNvm-Nug

vCash
    It really varies a lot and there certainly is in upper limit. Depending on the theme of the program a dress could cost as little as $350. IMHO, generally clean lines are more effective. You can go all out with rhinestones provided you have a clear idea when you start and stick with a few sizes and or colours. Custom dresses dripping in beadwork and stones can run upwards of $1000. I don't think Kaetlyn's LP dress could have been that expensive. I agree with those who say the cut wasn't terribly flattering.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rvi5 View Post
    It depends on what was on her mind at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    I always notice a skater's face when they're in their starting position - and to me she did look quite tense. I'm no competitor so I don't know what she might have been thinking, but if she wasn't intimidated by the presense of Yuna, Mao and Carolina - figure skating royalty - then she can't have a single nerve in her body.
    Probably something along the lines of “don’t suck, don’t suck, don’t suck”? Seriously though, it was a tough situation to find herself in, not just because she was skating with “royalty”, but also because she knew that even skated perfectly her program likely didn’t have enough content to maintain her position, much less make a run for the podium. It was designed to keep her in the top 10, not get her a medal. The two falls cost her somewhere around 10 points, which still would have only have put her in 6th or 7th. When the program was being developed at the beginning of the season, her 3lutz had only been consistent for a few months. Who knew at that time she’d end up in the final group at Worlds? I was pleased to see that she had the presence of mind to add the two 2toes to the 2A after the fall on the 3toe – shows she can think on her feet.

Very happy to see Gabby added as the 2nd woman at WTT. Quite a little dynamo that one. The experience will no doubt be invaluable for her. She struggled with the 3flip and 3lutz a little at Canadians, but nailed both at Jr. Worlds, so she’s coming along nicely. Even though she’s only 15, she looks fully developed. I can’t see her growing much more. Alaine turned 17 this week, so isn’t likely to grow much more either. Interestingly, both Gabby & Alaine did clean 3lutz’s in their FP’s at Canadians last year (Alaine did 2 in fact), whereas Kaetlyn didn’t even attempt one. Crazy how different the rate of development can be during the teen years!

Kaetlyn’s SP dress was fine (once they got rid of the silver bra ), but IA that her FP dress was not particularly flattering. It wasn’t so much the cut, but the placement of the nude fabric cut out in the waist made her look thick through the middle.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Is it just me or does she remind anyone of Sasha Cohen in this program? In looks/facial expression but particularly in the way she carries her neck and back - super straight!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxTzdCUWFRY

vCash
    I saw Osmond for the first time at Canadians. She doesn't have broad shoulders or broad anything for that matter. It's all to do with the camera angles that for the most part are all focused at the girl's hip level. I'm not a fan of the fussiness of most female costumes, but I did think her short program costume suited her on-ice personality.

vCash
    Professordeb,
    Im not speaking of puberty. Some women have tendency gaining weight more, than others it's natural for woman's body to gain weight. I'm saying anything can happen, look at Rachel Flatt and what happened to her. I like Osmond and hope he does well, but what I don't like is to put all hopes in one basket, excluding other skater. Give her a bit more time to proof herself and not put so much pressure on her shoulders.

vCash
    Osmond reminds me a bit of Stephanie Rosenthal in terms of her performance qualities.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I really think she should ditch her open backed dresses. It makes her torso look really wide. I see some Cohenesque qualities in the way she used her hands and arms in this program. I really like her because she is a performer and a dancer besides being an excellent skater.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marii View Post
    Professordeb,
    Im not speaking of puberty. Some women have tendency gaining weight more, than others it's natural for woman's body to gain weight. I'm saying anything can happen, look at Rachel Flatt and what happened to her. I like Osmond and hope he does well, but what I don't like is to put all hopes in one basket, excluding other skater. Give her a bit more time to proof herself and not put so much pressure on her shoulders.
    Ahhh, that's what you meant, thanks for clearing it up. Usually when posters here speak about women and their bodies, it seems to be in the context of her not yet in her "adult" body -- hence my reference to the puberty monster.

Regarding Rachel Flatt, I'm not aware of issues that she has had regarding her body. Perhaps because I don't follow women's skating as closely as I have other disciplines.

I totally agree the Kaetlyn needs time and space to prove herself. I, like many others, are so pleased to see her have such a breakout season. There's also a couple of other young Canadian women who are in their teens who I think may give Kaetlyn a run for the Canadian championships next season. I hope for her to do well -- for her sake, not for mine. I've enjoyed watching her this season. It feels like there is hope for Canadian ladies skating, not just because of Kaetlyn, but because she is leading the charge. As a skating fan, it has been difficult to watch our Canadian ladies do decently at home, but when they go out onto the international stage, it seems to head south. I am believing and hoping that Kaetlyn is just the first of many that we'll see over the next few years. What is going to be interesting -- is watching all these "youngsters" from various countries as they try to step up to the plate and onto the podium. I'm looking forward to it.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...type=2&theater

This was posted on Kaetlyn's Facebook......hope the link works
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Osmond reminds me a bit of Stephanie Rosenthal in terms of her performance qualities.
    I totally saw it too! In fact, that's the first skater she reminded me of when I saw her skate for the first time this season! Same verve, musicality and joy!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Would love to see Kaetlyn tackle something more off the beaten track musically. It seems like most people tend to agree she has great musicality and performance skills and a natural presence on the ice. She could do some really interesting programs, and I hope her coach and choreographer try something unique with her.

vCash
    She is good but I think she needs to improve on technical and artistic to reach the top. Not just one. She doesnt have enough of either yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by angelflies View Post
    She is good but I think she needs to improve on technical and artistic to reach the top. Not just one. She doesnt have enough of either yet.
    Right now Kaetlyn is not even on par with the other 3 young ladies - Liza, Adelina and Gracie. Unless she learns to land difficult jumps she is not going to make it to the top. She clearly has the time to learn, however. IMO she is being crowned way too early. Nobody knows how much she will develop.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Right now Kaetlyn is not even on par with the other 3 young ladies - Liza, Adelina and Gracie. Unless she learns to land difficult jumps she is not going to make it to the top. She clearly has the time to learn, however. IMO she is being crowned way too early. Nobody knows how much she will develop.
    I think she is just as good as all of them. I don't understand what the hype is about Gracie. What has she done to "be on par with the others you mention?"

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    What? Osmond has beaten all three of them in international competition, and the first two she has beaten twice this year. I don't think this statement is fair at all.

vCash
    Nobody knows how any of these girls are going to develop. They are all young but inconsistent talent with a lot of potential. Your are also about two months too late with this. Nobody is crowning Kaetlyn as anything.

As for Kaetlyn not being on par with the other three you mentioned, the results at Worlds prove otherwise.

vCash
    She's competed against Elizaveta twice. Won both competitions.

She's competed against Adelina three times. Won two competitions.

She's competed against Gracie twice. Won once.

Just sayin'

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danafan View Post
    What? Osmond has beaten all three of them in international competition, and the first two she has beaten twice this year. I don't think this statement is fair at all.
    Kaetlyn needs to include her 3Z in competition and work on a more difficult 3/3 combo so that she's more even technically with the other skaters mentioned. But this year Kaetlyn was more consistent than the other 3 IMO and hence the success. All in all, great senior debut!

Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast