vCash

The future of Volosozhar & Trankov

What are their plans for the future. The talk now is they will compete at the 2014 and 2015 Worlds, take some time off, and come back for the 2017 Worlds, 2018 Olympics, and 2018 Worlds. They might enjoy that time off and not want to come back at all though, or might end up never taking the break. What do you think. The only thing that seems certain is people havent seen the last of them just yet.

vCash
    I believe they will go to worlds this season and really might consider continuing. They can try to have a "yuna strategy" and still aim at 2018. The skeptic in me doesn't think they will be able to keep up with that sort of form for much longer... They seem to be a popular pair and Maxim is always entertaining. It's important to have people like him in competitive figure skating.

vCash
    I thought I read somewhere that they were definitely staying in until 2018. But I just checked wikipedia and found out that Trankov is 30, I thought he might have been as young as 26. So I guess time will tell. Lots of pair guys are staying in the amateur field at an older age these days.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by watchthis!! View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that they were definitely staying in until 2018. But I just checked wikipedia and found out that Trankov is 30, I thought he might have been as young as 26. So I guess time will tell. Lots of pair guys are staying in the amateur field at an older age these days.
    30 is not too old for a pairs skater. V&T have skated as a pair for less than 4 years, and they have a chance to really develop and create their own style after this OGM. I think they will stick around but not compete all 4 years leading up to 2018.

vCash
    I think they might do it Kim Yuna style and compete on and off for the next four years and then return for 2018 OWG.

vCash
    I think they will want to go another 4 years and here is why. I dont think right now now they are seen as quite the level of the absolute greatest Russian pairs of past like Gordeeva and Grinkov, Artur Dmitriev, Irina Rodnina, the Prottoppopovs. I think their legacy is bigger than past Russian greats like Valova & Vasiliev, Totmianina & Marinin, and unfairly the much maligned Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze who are so underrated by people these days, but not quite yet with that first group. Part of that reason is they havent truly let themselves go yet. They were so paranoid about living up to the expectations Russia had for them when they were paired up to become World Champions, and ultimately win Olympic Gold in home Russia, that they have not pushed themselves either techically (they are the only top pair not doing a throw triple lutz or flip, or anything outrageously difficult) or artistically. They just wanted to make sure they did enough to win and didnt risk mistakes.

Now with 2 Olympic Golds, World title, and all other titles behind them they can truly explore their potential and take it to a new level. They dont have to worry about winning those titles, they already have, and now they can take the attitude they have nothing to lose, and they just want to find out how great they can become. They can come up with way better programs and start pushing themselves more technically too. They can leave an even bigger mark.

So that is why I think they want to and will continue. They can stop feeling like they are stepping on eggshells and have the life or death mission of the Olympic Gold, and can try and become an even greater, more innovative, and more groundbreaking pair.

vCash
    I hope they will continue. I don't think we've seen the best of them either. Now the pressure is off and I think they could grow much more, artistically at least.

vCash
    They will stay until Stolbova & Klimov start beating them regularly, if that ever happens, and then immediately retire if that does happen.