View Poll Results: Which of these 3 American skaters is most likely to be successful in seniors?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jason Brown

9 7.96%
  • Joshua Farris

57 50.44%
  • Nathan Chen

47 41.59%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Feb View Post
    Chan won worlds silver at 18, not 17. He was 9th place at 17.
    Oops my bad. But Jason is turning 18 in a couple months, and his birthday is a couple weeks before Chan's, so this season he is the same age as Patrick the season he won silver at Worlds.

Anyways, I think a lot will depend on who is still around after Sochi and if this quad/super-technical craze continues into the next quadrennial or not. Depending on what happens, quads might not be necessary, and Jason could become the next Buttle or Lysacek (Lysacek managed to get his 3a pretty consistent, but it was never a strong or pretty jump for him, ever). We'll have to see how it all pans out.

vCash
    It'll be interesting.

I never thought that the quad would be LESS important after Sochi than now. The ISU made so many changes after the last Olympics that boosted the quad in importance that even negating some of those changed would still have the quad be necessary, imo.

To me, that gives Farris the best shot of the three. He's still a work in progress, but you see the progress in all areas. He can tick the level boxes very well. His PCS are strong. His jumps are obviously all there. He will do what he needs to to improve (witness his decisions after the 2011 Nationals). Curious where the road takes him, but out of all juniors in any discipline, he's the one that has my cautious optimism the most.

vCash
    I know the IJS has increase the value given to quads a lot and that has spurred this "quad craze" but you have to wonder if it will last. I mean, look at the ladies, sure a lot of people are doing 3-3s these days, but it's mostly 3t-3t, and we saw more 3a attempts in previous decades, Mao is the only one really that attempts it at all in competition anymore, and it's been that way for a long time. Kostner is World Champion and she won that title with a 5 triple FS without a 3lz, Miki Ando was World champion the year before with a 5 triple FS and no flip, Yu Na Kim won Worlds in 2010 with a 5 triple FS and even her great OGM FS only had 6 triples and no 3lo, Arakawa won OGM with a 5 triple FS, etc. So it's hard to say what would cause the expectations in the men's field to change, but maybe if there are a lot of injuries from quads, or the SP becomes redundant because, at least for right now, so many men are going for the quad in the SP and missing it and/or doing a 3-2 as their combo, that the importance of a clean short seems less relevant. The quad could become more important post Sochi or less, it's hard to tell.

Anyways I agree about Farris. He is strong across the board and seems to have a good head on his shoulders, and within the past season appears to have learned to become a stronger competitor. Hopefully this will pan out to success on the senior level. The one thing I wonder though is about his style, it's very classical which I personally like, but someone like Jason Brown has more pizazz and originality, which could help his case in the eyes of the judges, especially if that becomes an important factor post Sochi. Maybe we'll see Farris try something different in the coming seasons though, I don't doubt that he can't do well with other styles, its more that he usually sticks to the same one, thus far.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123