Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Best tortilla chips ever (outside of fresh ones in a Mexican restaurant).
    http://www.ladolcedivainc.com/theswe...ip-aficionado/

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    I'm a potato chip tester.

Really. (Well, actually, I'm the assistant) We test 1000's of individual varieties for chip quality, to find new and better choices for the farmer and processor.

I also test them for French Fry quality, and boil and bake quality.
    A dream job.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Quadless
    vCash

Really. (Well, actually, I'm the assistant) We test 1000's of individual varieties for chip quality, to find new and better choices for the farmer and processor.

The best chips are still hot from the fryer. I never get tired of them.

We eliminate clones that are not nice and white, but personally, I like the ones that have more colour. The colour is caused my the sugars in the potato caramelizing, and it's yummy.

I like my chips fried, not baked. I like Lays better than Old Dutch, and I prefer plain with lots of cream cheese dip. I don't like kettle cooked chips. They hurt my mouth too.
    Oh. my. lord. I would weigh 500 pounds. Seriously. Of all gastronomic temptations, my greatest downfall is potato chips. I gave them up at the beginning of the summer and lost 15 pounds, but I still pause at the chip aisle in the supermarket and dream of the deliciousness contained there.

My favorites are Kettle Salt & Pepper, Salt and Salt & Vinegar. After that, I like Cape Cod plain. And within any bag, my greatest delight are the ones that get stuck together or got folded over onto themselves.

I like them dipped in plain sour cream or yogurt, but sometimes I also use a soft goat cheese spread. And sometimes I use them like crackers with hummus.

If I could only get my 20's metabolism back I'd be in business. But until then, I have no self control and therefore just have to stay away entirely.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    I prefer plain or just "sea salt" over any of the flavored chips.
    Me too, but then I'm not a condiment fan either. Not even ketchup on my burgers and fries.

Chips should be lightly salted and kettle cooked (Miss Vicky's are good).

I'll eat barbeque chips (Lay's) in small quantities, but prefer them plain. Salt and vinegar chips are painful to eat, and other flavours are just unnecessary.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    Cookies with chips baked in? That sounds umm interesting?
    Crushed up very fine. The cookies actually taste like pecan sandies. They are very good.
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    Lays Salt & Vinegar.
    This, or barbs. I like to dip my plain chips in applesauce.

vCash
    New York Cheddar is my favourite - I can't remember the name of the brand, actually, just recognize the chips by the bright yellow bag.

Second is Old Dutch Ripple Chips.

Third Mrs. Vickle's Ripples, but they are really oily, more oily than the Old Dutch.

vCash
    Back when I was younger, Ruffles original flavor was my fave. But it would make me feel yucky after I ate almost the whole bag. Now my fave is Trader Joe's Potato Trio (made from red, blue, and Yukon gold potatoes) with no salt. The fat content isn't too bad either, 6g/serving, no saturated fat. Unfortunately, I guess I'm the only one that likes them because they discontinued them in less than a year. So I guess I'll settle for Tim's no salt chips with the same amount of fat, except it has 0.5g saturated fat. I like the taste of naked potatoes and the crunch/crispiness of low fat potato chips.

vCash

The best chips are still hot from the fryer. I never get tired of them.

We eliminate clones that are not nice and white, but personally, I like the ones that have more colour. The colour is caused my the sugars in the potato caramelizing, and it's yummy.

I like my chips fried, not baked. I like Lays better than Old Dutch, and I prefer plain with lots of cream cheese dip. I don't like kettle cooked chips. They hurt my mouth too.

I also test them for French Fry quality, and boil and bake quality.
    I'm jealous! Talk about living the glamourous life!
    Team Peeps!

vCash
    These: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabor-Jamon-.../dp/B003TSZ6OA

We bought a bag in Spain and wow! they really do taste like serrano ham. I haven't been able to find them anywhere in the US and refuse to pay to have chips shipped from Europe.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    Ketchup

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    YThey were so good, but Frito-Lay stopped making them last year.
    I sympathize The list of food and cosmetic products I love that have been discontinued grows and grows, along with favourite restaurants that have closed. Sigh.

A chip in our midst!!

vCash
    I love potato chips but only eat them plain, no dip. Saltier the better.

My favourite are Hostess ( hard to find, one local supermarket still stocks them) , and when not available, Lays. I don't mind Herr's. Don't like Old Dutch. Will not eat Pringles. They taste like pressed mashed potatoes to me. Mushy and hard at the same time is not what I want in a crisp.

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    These. They're pretty much only available in western West Virginia - I grew up on these, and to me, nothing tastes as good. I could have some shipped to me in Minneapolis, but I like to keep them a special treat for when I go home.

vCash
    When I lived in Baltimore, I developed a great fondness for Old Bay flavored chips from Utz. I don't think you can buy them outside of Maryland. BTW, you can get Charles Chips in the can on line (and pretzels, too) from the Vermont Country Store.

I feel about potato chips the way most people feel about chocolate!
    waking up in the city that never sleeps

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by intheknow View Post
    When I lived in Baltimore, I developed a great fondness for Old Bay flavored chips from Utz. I don't think you can buy them outside of Maryland. BTW, you can get Charles Chips in the can on line (and pretzels, too) from the Vermont Country Store.

I feel about potato chips the way most people feel about chocolate!
    You can get them in NJ. I think Utz started out as a local market brand. You couldn't get them in NJ until about 10 years ago. I had them in the Philly area, and loved them.

And if any of you can fid the Xochitl tortilla chips in your stores - definitely try them, they really are amazing!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Any tips for homemade chips? We have a deep fryer that we've used for fries, but never chips.

Type of potato? Single or twice fry? Other tips?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Any tips for homemade chips? We have a deep fryer that we've used for fries, but never chips.

Type of potato? Single or twice fry? Other tips?
    I've never done chips. But, I have deep fried corn and flour tortillas, for salads. Yum Xs 10!

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    I don't eat chips very often... Mr. Habs and I both have a huge weakness for them, so we find it's better to not have them in the house.
    Wow. I didn't even know that was an option.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by intheknow View Post
    When I lived in Baltimore, I developed a great fondness for Old Bay flavored chips from Utz. I don't think you can buy them outside of Maryland.
    Oh yes you can!
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast