Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash

Smile Kurt returns to "Singing in the Rain"

Read his blog entry on the CBC site at: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskati...ete-again.html

Take time to check out the linked video too
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Looking forward to Kurt's program,
    Whatever he does will be worth watching.

vCash
    His blog entry just got me more excited for MWO! It'll be great to see how skaters of 6.0 generation feel and adapt to new system. Kurt gives a lot of insight for it!

vCash
    WAU !!!
    I love that program !!!
    I'm so happy that Kurt will skate it again !!
    What a big achivement this competition !!
    Can't wait to see it !

vCash
    Doug was able to get Brian Orser to land a triple axel at the age of 40
    Was this filmed?

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Was this filmed?
    I think so? I remember he landed one at the Goodwill Games in 2000 (which were televised) and I'm pretty sure he was around 40.

vCash
    Kurt's performance to Singing in the Rain is a classic. I really look forward to see the new version. Will they make it rain in the stadium for him?
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Aww...that was so much fun to watch again.

vCash
    I hate hate hate Singer in the Rain, no matter who skates it. Ditto 'Smile and the world smiles with you', whatever the name is. . .

The good news to me is that Honda and Candaloro will compete again. That's very cool.

ETA I met Honda at the 2010 Olympics in the smoking section outside the arena. He was covering the event a Japanese broadcaster. He was smoking quite seriously (1 or 2 in a break) and looked a bit heavier than he was as a competitor. So it will interesting to see how he reinvents himself for this comp. Ditto Candaloro and Yagudin. I'm rooting for Candaloro and Honda - hope we get access to the competition.
    Last edited by Japanfan; 09-28-2012 at 09:35 AM.

vCash
    This sounds really great, I love this performance!

Whats the name of this event and when will it take place?

vCash
    Without hearing this news until now, I was watching Kurt's Singing in the Rain performance online yesterday and was thinking that it would be great to bring it back for the Medal Winners Open. Great minds think alike!

vCash
    *fangirl squealing* BEST. PERFORMANCE. EVER!!

Kurt's performance was amazing! The set, the rain, the skating...PERFECTION! I don't know that the program will be as awesome without the set and rain and everything, but I'm so excited to hear he'll be revisiting that one!

Watch me move
    vCash
    The US Adult Figure Skating Committee posted about this on their Facebook page, with a headline to the effect of "Kurt returns to competition" - and when I saw it, my first thought was that Kurt was going to compete in adult competitions

I must admit that when I read the story and saw he was competing in a different kind of event, I was relieved for my fellow adult skaters who would have had to compete against him.....
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    The US Adult Figure Skating Committee posted about this on their Facebook page, with a headline to the effect of "Kurt returns to competition" - and when I saw it, my first thought was that Kurt was going to compete in adult competitions

I must admit that when I read the story and saw he was competing in a different kind of event, I was relieved for my fellow adult skaters who would have had to compete against him.....
    Well the great Midori Ito didn't win her category at Adult Nationals so you never know

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Well the great Midori Ito didn't win her category at Adult Nationals so you never know
    She didn't win her category at the ISU *international* adult competition (I don't know if Japan has adult nationals).
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    The allowance of props (hat, umbrella) will make this entertaining. Wonder if he can have the (iconic) lamp post out there as well

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LLOS View Post
    This sounds really great, I love this performance!

Whats the name of this event and when will it take place?
    Here's the thread about the "Medal Winners Open":
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=83729

vCash
    Am I crazy - or did Ilia Kulik do a pro piece with a hat? And in my head - Dean was involved but I may be just making that up.
    (sorry I posted this in the wrong thread)
    Last edited by The Accordion; 09-30-2012 at 02:17 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    *fangirl squealing* BEST. PERFORMANCE. EVER!!

Kurt's performance was amazing! The set, the rain, the skating...PERFECTION! I don't know that the program will be as awesome without the set and rain and everything, but I'm so excited to hear he'll be revisiting that one!
    Can I join you in the fangirl squealing? Such an iconic program, even without the rain and the full stage set-which helped made the program so magical, I'm looking forward to seeing Kurt's 2012 version.

I like all of the male skaters performing at the Medal Winners, but I am especially looking forward to Kurt Browning and Ilia Kulik.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    Am I crazy - or did Ilia Kulik do a pro piece with a hat? And in my head - Dean was involved but I may be just making that up.
    Oh I so remember this piece. And loved it. It was soon after he turned pro, was choreographed by Dean. It was "My Baseball Cap" and he threw that hat around all over the place. Unfortunately he never performed it often enough to really perfect it, but it was still pretty good. The performance I saw (on TV) was probably at World Pro's soon after he retired. Maybe I can find it on youtube.

ETA : Here it is. And he did do a lot of performances since he performed it with SOI (didn't know that). Anyway this version has him working with Chris Dean on choreo a bit at the beginning
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48V4w1NzeZE
    Last edited by alilou; 09-30-2012 at 01:35 AM.
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast