vCash

Self-Portraits of Artist Under the Influence

Artist's Self Portraits

“After experiencing drastic changes in my environment, I looked for other experiences that might profoundly affect my perception of the self. So I devised another experiment where everyday I took a different drug and drew myself under the influence. Within weeks I became lethargic and suffered mild brain damage. I am still conducting this experiment but over greater lapses of time. I only take drugs that are given to me.”
    Very disturbing, IMHO. The Bath salts one is

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Yeah, that was circulating around my FB friends a couple of weeks ago. Definitely one to file under "don't try this at home, kids"!

If you check out his web site, though, you see that he's been doing daily self-portraits for a long time. The drug-induced ones were just a subset of that.

The "I only take drugs that are given to me" disclaimer is pretty wtf too.

vCash
    Well if you want to kill your artistic talents just use computer dust. Although I didn't know that was a drug.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Wow. Just wow. Some of that stuff is pretty scary - especially the one where his drawing was reduced to something a three year old would do.

vCash
    Those pictures were awesome. Which is not to say I want to encourage drug use since I don't even drink liquor, but still, the pics were fab.
    Figure skating is hard.

vCash
    Some of those pictures are scary.

vCash
    Hipster doofus. Where did he get Pruno?

Maybe he can huff jenkem next.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    ???
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Some of those drawings seem exaggerated, especially Cephalexin which is just an antibiotic and shouldn't have any psychoactive properties. Dude is on a lot of mood stabilizers and anti-depressants, but they shouldn't be be producing psychadelic results.

That being said, the bath salts picture is the stuff made of nightmares. Eesh.

vCash
    I guess I am out of some loop. What are bath salts and what is computer dust? Snorting Busirone? Beyond stupid. It's an anti-anxiety drug, but not a benzo type drug. I have been on a low dose of Buspar, for a few years. It helps with my panic attacks. I don't tolerate anti-depressants well. Buspar (at a very low dose) seems to help, with virtually no side effects. It doesn't give you a high, or anything like that. Can't imagine snorting it would do anything except burn your nose and lungs.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    The guys brain is probably fried enough by now he could take a gummy bear and see dead people.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    The guys brain is probably fried enough by now he could take a gummy bear and see dead people.
    Good point. Especially the red ones.

And there is something to be said for the placebo effect. If you believe you will have a reaction and want to have a reaction, you probably will.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I guess I am out of some loop. What are bath salts and what is computer dust?
    Bath salts refers to a whole class of drugs, rather than a single chemical. It got a lot of media attention this summer from a deadly naked cannibal attack by a guy supposedly under the influence of bath salts.

Computer dusters are just compressed gas used to blast dust and crud out of keyboards. I think they're just modern day inhalant abuse - since a lot of the dusters say to use them in well-ventilated areas at risk of suffocation, I assume the "high" is due to general asphyxiation and lack of oxygen to the brain.

Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    I'm not sure whether this would be considered a placebo or nocebo effect.
    The hipstebo effect?