Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 86
  1. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Watching some crackling good television
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,486
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I was just going to say, I read that they got all of the actors to sign a contract for one more season past this one (seriously wasn't expecting Jason Segel to agree to it), and the episode hints that the wedding will be in May of this year, so that'll mean there'll be one more year of the show where Ted has actually met his future wife. How much we will see of her, who knows.

  2. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    40
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I guess I'm torn. While I love the characters and the show, I'm afraid that by extending it another year might be overkill. There is a fine line between leaving viewers wanting more and not.

    ---
    R. Bryant
    new york bus companies

  3. #43

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    11,379
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1941
    I know. Of course I don't want it to end, but then again, all my favourite shows left me with wanting more. Others left me wishing they'd ended it ages ago.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

  4. #44
    Internet Beyotch
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    15,521
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7429
    In an interview, one of the show founders said they had some ideas for if they were renewed for a 9th season and he was sure they could make it work. Me? Not so sure.

  5. #45

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,788
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3065
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    In an interview, one of the show founders said they had some ideas for if they were renewed for a 9th season and he was sure they could make it work. Me? Not so sure.
    Me neither. I can only count a handful of episodes from the past 4 seasons that were worth watching more than once. Really wish they would have wrapped it up in 6 seasons, but I guess everyone wants to cash in on as many seasons as possible.

  6. #46

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    11,379
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1941
    I'm in the minority who has really enjoyed the last few seasons. They've allowed the characters to grow up in many ways, for better or for worse. I think stretching it to 9 seasons is just too much though.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

  7. #47
    Internet Beyotch
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    15,521
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7429
    I think the earlier seasons were better but I still think it's a great show.

  8. #48

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,881
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1546

    Spoiler


  9. #49
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,332
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    So glad they actually showed the mother!

    For next season's format, speculation is that

    Spoiler


  10. #50

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,881
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1546
    Anyone watched the finale last night? I thought that it was sad, but made sense in the context of the whole series.

  11. #51

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    1,931
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    1626
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Anyone watched the finale last night? I thought that it was sad, but made sense in the context of the whole series.
    I've just read the recap, it does make sense, why else would Ted be the lone narrator of that story?

    Spoiler


  12. #52

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    11,379
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1941
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperryfan View Post
    I've just read the recap, it does make sense, why else would Ted be the lone narrator of that story?

    Spoiler

    It made sense because they filemed that final scene with the kids 7 years ago. People didn't like it because it wasn't a fairy tale ending, but they were gearing towards it from the start.

    Robin drifting away from the group was sad, but realistic and in character. The fact Ted spent 9 years chasing a short lived ideal was also sad but happens...but still the very end seemed kind of cheap and easy.

    And what was going on with Future Robin's hair?!!

  13. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    10,417
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I really think those kids must have filmed like 8 different endings. Just for secrecy sake. So I'm not sure the ending was always the plan, just one of the plans.

    My problem is that they've spent years telling us why those two characters will not work together. And now we are supposed to believe they will? So was

    Spoiler

    just a place holder until he got his true love? Or was

    Spoiler

    just something to fall back on when true love was lost? It seemed to destroy so much character development for it to end this way. I'm not at all surprised that

    Spoiler

    though.

    And I'm not sure I believe that

    Spoiler

    . And could they have found a less flattering wedding dress? Eek.

    Josh Radnor reacting to video tape of the kids was pretty horrible acting.

    Oh, and why would

    Spoiler



    If this show had ended at the umbrella scene, I would have forgiven the dreck that was the first half (just callbacks to previous episodes), and maybe forgiven the dreck that was the past 3 seasons, but it would have been a much better ending.

    I loved this show for the first 4 years or so, and then it became something to watch because I always did, and then it became not even worth watching. So I guess I'm just glad it is over. But the finale has really ruined the first few seasons for me.

  14. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    87
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I thought I was done after ranting all night, but apparently my rage hasn't completely subsided ... WORST FINALE EVER!! (and that's coming from a Lost fan) Actually, it was pretty good up until the last few minutes that completely ruined the whole entire series. The whole telling of the story (i.e. the series) now comes off to me like a huge douche move by MasterDouche Ted, who, incidentally, raised 2 MiniDouche kids (seriously what child reacts that way [SPOILER SORRY DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO TAGS!] during and after a story about their dead mother! They looked bored through the entire thing then go into full animation mode about their dad having the hots for Aunt Robin? Really?? Felt like the show took a hard 180 into campy territory).

    I get that they filmed that ending in the early seasons and it was planned, but the problem was, it FELT like they filmed that in Season 2 ... it NOW comes off totally out of place given the past few seasons. Maybe this would've worked after Season 4 or something, but after NINE years it's nothing short of an abomination. I can't believe I wasted time on that dreck and missed phone voting for Meryl and Charlie (who both did SO amazingly) on DWTS.

    I literally never want to set eyes on this show ever again (and I won't I'm pretty good about following through - once something is dead to me - I don't look back).

  15. #55
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,723
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Meteorlight View Post
    I thought I was done after ranting all night, but apparently my rage hasn't completely subsided ... WORST FINALE EVER!! (and that's coming from a Lost fan) Actually, it was pretty good up until the last few minutes that completely ruined the whole entire series. The whole telling of the story (i.e. the series) now comes off to me like a huge douche move by MasterDouche Ted, who, incidentally, raised 2 MiniDouche kids (seriously what child reacts that way [SPOILER SORRY DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO TAGS!] during and after a story about their dead mother! They looked bored through the entire thing then go into full animation mode about their dad having the hots for Aunt Robin? Really?? Felt like the show took a hard 180 into campy territory).

    I get that they filmed that ending in the early seasons and it was planned, but the problem was, it FELT like they filmed that in Season 2 ... it NOW comes off totally out of place given the past few seasons. Maybe this would've worked after Season 4 or something, but after NINE years it's nothing short of an abomination. I can't believe I wasted time on that dreck and missed phone voting for Meryl and Charlie (who both did SO amazingly) on DWTS.

    I literally never want to set eyes on this show ever again (and I won't I'm pretty good about following through - once something is dead to me - I don't look back).
    See, I told my husband yesterday that I was totally prepared to pretend that the finale never happened if need be. It is fiction. They screwed up the ending, so I can ignore it.

    As I understand it, this is the only ending they filmed with the kids and it was filmed at the end of season 2. And at that point, it would have worked. But they failed to keep it in mind for the next seven seasons. They let the characters develop in ways that made it implausible. Had they filmed alternate endings, they would have been able to do better--so that was a big mistake.

  16. #56
    drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    c'est genifique!
    Posts
    29,690
    vCash
    325
    Rep Power
    15340
    People! The show has aired, why are you spoiler tagging things?
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

  17. #57
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Watching some crackling good television
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,486
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Just watched the finale -- it certainly wasn't great, but I literally can not think of a series finale that I've seen that has been. The writers can't tie up a show's loose ends and make their entire audience happy with how they conclude things. Instead of getting my panties in a wad over it, I am going to just be thankful for the fact that this show gave me 9 wonderful years of enjoyment, entertainment, and laughs, and that's something that a not-so-great finale can't take away.

  18. #58
    Re-registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Nowhere in particular
    Posts
    5,826
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1360
    I watched the show quite faithfully for the first few season, and off and on since then. I'm in the minority who liked the finale, because I was kind of stalled at wishing for Ted and Robin, yet at the same time, I found the Ted and the mother's story quite romantic. He had his perfect romantic love, and she had her amazing career, and now they can grow old together the way they were destined to...
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

  19. #59
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,101
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    One of the worst finales ever.

    I believe Lyndsey (the daughter) said they only filmed one ending ... and she had forgotten about it!

    I met Carter Bays years ago and gushed over him about his writing (anyone remember how brilliantly the whole Victoria reveal played out in Season 1), but this was such a disappointment. It felt rushed and poorly executed.

    The only thing more tragic than the mother's end was Robin's wig.

    I stopped watching awhile ago, but did they ever settle the pineapple and/or slap bet?

  20. #60
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Watching some crackling good television
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,486
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by all_empty View Post
    I stopped watching awhile ago, but did they ever settle the pineapple and/or slap bet?
    Slap Bet - yes, the final slap was on the wedding altar right before the wedding.

    Pineapple - no, as they closed the episode in season 1 with, "and we never did find out where the pineapple came from." I read an interview with one of the writers who said that this was one of the single lines in the whole series that they really ended up regretting.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •