Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    I was just going to say, I read that they got all of the actors to sign a contract for one more season past this one (seriously wasn't expecting Jason Segel to agree to it), and the episode hints that the wedding will be in May of this year, so that'll mean there'll be one more year of the show where Ted has actually met his future wife. How much we will see of her, who knows.

vCash
    I guess I'm torn. While I love the characters and the show, I'm afraid that by extending it another year might be overkill. There is a fine line between leaving viewers wanting more and not.

---
    R. Bryant
    new york bus companies

vCash
    I know. Of course I don't want it to end, but then again, all my favourite shows left me with wanting more. Others left me wishing they'd ended it ages ago.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    In an interview, one of the show founders said they had some ideas for if they were renewed for a 9th season and he was sure they could make it work. Me? Not so sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    In an interview, one of the show founders said they had some ideas for if they were renewed for a 9th season and he was sure they could make it work. Me? Not so sure.
    Me neither. I can only count a handful of episodes from the past 4 seasons that were worth watching more than once. Really wish they would have wrapped it up in 6 seasons, but I guess everyone wants to cash in on as many seasons as possible.

vCash
    I'm in the minority who has really enjoyed the last few seasons. They've allowed the characters to grow up in many ways, for better or for worse. I think stretching it to 9 seasons is just too much though.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I think the earlier seasons were better but I still think it's a great show.

vCash

Spoiler

vCash
    So glad they actually showed the mother!

For next season's format, speculation is that

Spoiler

vCash
    Anyone watched the finale last night? I thought that it was sad, but made sense in the context of the whole series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Anyone watched the finale last night? I thought that it was sad, but made sense in the context of the whole series.
    I've just read the recap, it does make sense, why else would Ted be the lone narrator of that story?

Spoiler

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperryfan View Post
    I've just read the recap, it does make sense, why else would Ted be the lone narrator of that story?

Spoiler

It made sense because they filemed that final scene with the kids 7 years ago. People didn't like it because it wasn't a fairy tale ending, but they were gearing towards it from the start.

Robin drifting away from the group was sad, but realistic and in character. The fact Ted spent 9 years chasing a short lived ideal was also sad but happens...but still the very end seemed kind of cheap and easy.

And what was going on with Future Robin's hair?!!

vCash
    I really think those kids must have filmed like 8 different endings. Just for secrecy sake. So I'm not sure the ending was always the plan, just one of the plans.

My problem is that they've spent years telling us why those two characters will not work together. And now we are supposed to believe they will? So was

Spoiler

just a place holder until he got his true love? Or was

Spoiler

just something to fall back on when true love was lost? It seemed to destroy so much character development for it to end this way. I'm not at all surprised that

Spoiler

though.

And I'm not sure I believe that

Spoiler

. And could they have found a less flattering wedding dress? Eek.

Josh Radnor reacting to video tape of the kids was pretty horrible acting.

Oh, and why would

Spoiler

If this show had ended at the umbrella scene, I would have forgiven the dreck that was the first half (just callbacks to previous episodes), and maybe forgiven the dreck that was the past 3 seasons, but it would have been a much better ending.

I loved this show for the first 4 years or so, and then it became something to watch because I always did, and then it became not even worth watching. So I guess I'm just glad it is over. But the finale has really ruined the first few seasons for me.

vCash
    I thought I was done after ranting all night, but apparently my rage hasn't completely subsided ... WORST FINALE EVER!! (and that's coming from a Lost fan) Actually, it was pretty good up until the last few minutes that completely ruined the whole entire series. The whole telling of the story (i.e. the series) now comes off to me like a huge douche move by MasterDouche Ted, who, incidentally, raised 2 MiniDouche kids (seriously what child reacts that way [SPOILER SORRY DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO TAGS!] during and after a story about their dead mother! They looked bored through the entire thing then go into full animation mode about their dad having the hots for Aunt Robin? Really?? Felt like the show took a hard 180 into campy territory).

I get that they filmed that ending in the early seasons and it was planned, but the problem was, it FELT like they filmed that in Season 2 ... it NOW comes off totally out of place given the past few seasons. Maybe this would've worked after Season 4 or something, but after NINE years it's nothing short of an abomination. I can't believe I wasted time on that dreck and missed phone voting for Meryl and Charlie (who both did SO amazingly) on DWTS.

I literally never want to set eyes on this show ever again (and I won't I'm pretty good about following through - once something is dead to me - I don't look back).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Meteorlight View Post
    I thought I was done after ranting all night, but apparently my rage hasn't completely subsided ... WORST FINALE EVER!! (and that's coming from a Lost fan) Actually, it was pretty good up until the last few minutes that completely ruined the whole entire series. The whole telling of the story (i.e. the series) now comes off to me like a huge douche move by MasterDouche Ted, who, incidentally, raised 2 MiniDouche kids (seriously what child reacts that way [SPOILER SORRY DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO TAGS!] during and after a story about their dead mother! They looked bored through the entire thing then go into full animation mode about their dad having the hots for Aunt Robin? Really?? Felt like the show took a hard 180 into campy territory).

I get that they filmed that ending in the early seasons and it was planned, but the problem was, it FELT like they filmed that in Season 2 ... it NOW comes off totally out of place given the past few seasons. Maybe this would've worked after Season 4 or something, but after NINE years it's nothing short of an abomination. I can't believe I wasted time on that dreck and missed phone voting for Meryl and Charlie (who both did SO amazingly) on DWTS.

I literally never want to set eyes on this show ever again (and I won't I'm pretty good about following through - once something is dead to me - I don't look back).
    See, I told my husband yesterday that I was totally prepared to pretend that the finale never happened if need be. It is fiction. They screwed up the ending, so I can ignore it.

As I understand it, this is the only ending they filmed with the kids and it was filmed at the end of season 2. And at that point, it would have worked. But they failed to keep it in mind for the next seven seasons. They let the characters develop in ways that made it implausible. Had they filmed alternate endings, they would have been able to do better--so that was a big mistake.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    People! The show has aired, why are you spoiler tagging things?
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Just watched the finale -- it certainly wasn't great, but I literally can not think of a series finale that I've seen that has been. The writers can't tie up a show's loose ends and make their entire audience happy with how they conclude things. Instead of getting my panties in a wad over it, I am going to just be thankful for the fact that this show gave me 9 wonderful years of enjoyment, entertainment, and laughs, and that's something that a not-so-great finale can't take away.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    I watched the show quite faithfully for the first few season, and off and on since then. I'm in the minority who liked the finale, because I was kind of stalled at wishing for Ted and Robin, yet at the same time, I found the Ted and the mother's story quite romantic. He had his perfect romantic love, and she had her amazing career, and now they can grow old together the way they were destined to...
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    One of the worst finales ever.

I believe Lyndsey (the daughter) said they only filmed one ending ... and she had forgotten about it!

I met Carter Bays years ago and gushed over him about his writing (anyone remember how brilliantly the whole Victoria reveal played out in Season 1), but this was such a disappointment. It felt rushed and poorly executed.

The only thing more tragic than the mother's end was Robin's wig.

I stopped watching awhile ago, but did they ever settle the pineapple and/or slap bet?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by all_empty View Post
    I stopped watching awhile ago, but did they ever settle the pineapple and/or slap bet?
    Slap Bet - yes, the final slap was on the wedding altar right before the wedding.

Pineapple - no, as they closed the episode in season 1 with, "and we never did find out where the pineapple came from." I read an interview with one of the writers who said that this was one of the single lines in the whole series that they really ended up regretting.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast