Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lavenderblue View Post
    Posters keep mentioning a press release -- issued to the public -- announcing the press conference in advance, except unless I'm mistaken, the only reason the preliminary information about this press conference made it out was because someone who did hear about it posted it here. There's no release on Skatebuzz or the Skate Canada site, nor did the Skate Canada social media outlets mention an impending announcement from Cynthia. And media alerts for press conferences do exist, and they are generally submitted to media and other relevant parties, or are tucked away on media-focused newswire sites.

My point being that there seems to be a lot of railing about the impropriety of a public-oriented announcement that, as far as I can see, wasn't actually issued as a widescale public announcement.
    It's mainly just one poster now.

Quote Originally Posted by victorskid View Post
    You are correct, Lavenderblue.

Skate Canada apparently sent out a notice to media contacts advising them of a scheduled press conference. I believe this is normal practice if you actually want media to attend a press conference and perhaps even write/broadcast a story about what happens there. Not alerting the media would certainly ensure no one being there!

The news about the scheduled press conference was mentioned by the original poster in this thread. It was also referenced in two (at least) French articles which presumed the nature of the coming announcement.
    And you are correct, victorskid.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Sounds like she spoke with some media BEFORE the press conference as well given the timing of the articles which have appeared.

All the best to Cynthia. Thank you for letting us cheer you on during your amazing journey.

vCash
    If I remember correctly, the OP is a member of the media. There was a similar release before Jeff Buttle's retirement announcement. I know that Skate Canada does make presentations to national team members when they retire.

All the best to Cynthia in this new phase of her life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Parsley Sage View Post
    If I remember correctly, the OP is a member of the media. There was a similar release before Jeff Buttle's retirement announcement. I know that Skate Canada does make presentations to national team members when they retire.

All the best to Cynthia in this new phase of her life.
    Skate Canada always sends out announcements one or two days before a press conference.

I think the point some people in this thread have made is not so much why announce the press conference, but why have a press conference. At the time Jeff Buttle retired he was the reigning World Champion and Olympic bronze medalist. Cynthia Phaneuf's career was admirable, but hardly in the same category to warrant equal treatment.

I think the press conference was used as an event to promote a Skate Canada sponsor.

vCash
    Congratulations to Cynthia - not only on her career but on her incredible patience and perseverance through the years. I have been continually amazed and inspired by her determination despite so many challenges.

If this was a chance to promote sponsors - then I am glad for it if it meant she was sent off in style. She may not have achieved what Jeff Buttle or other champions did - but I am not sure we could have asked for more from her. In addition - the Canadian ladies' program is NOT the Canadian Men's program and whether people like it or not - save for Joannie - Cynthia has been the best and highest placing.

Congratulations on your courage, strength and hard work Cynthia!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pixie cut View Post
    I think the press conference was used as an event to promote a Skate Canada sponsor.
    Well, yes, and that is another reason why invitations went to the media. No reason why the two events/pieces of news can't be combined.

And maybe Cynthia is grateful that the sponsor was the jeweller and not Kozy Shack pudding, so she didn't have to slurp up a tub of pudding in front of the cameras
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    So she really has done everything she wanted to?

vCash
    I would imagine that many competitive skaters would think she has (National champion, World and Olympic competitor) in skating at least.

ETA that I forgot to thank Choupette for posting this French-Canadian TV news report/article link on Cynthia's retirement: http://tvasports.ca/tvasports/sports...26-173934.html
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-30-2012 at 02:57 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    So she really has done everything she wanted to?
    I think what Cynthia meant was, she could not think of any goals remaining which are realistic.

As Sylvia mentioned, Cynthia is a National Champion (twice), competed at the Olympics and Worlds (ranking 5th at 2010 Worlds). What other goals would remain? The podium at Worlds, the Olympics, or GP Final? Given the current situation, would that be realistic?

One goal she could attempt, is winning back her National title and then retire on a higher note. However because of her injury, she has already lost the summer for training. Also, after Nebelhorn people are predicting Kaetlyn Osmond will take the National title away from Amelie. Cynthia would now need to contend with both Amelie and Kaetlyn. A lot of hard work training for a risky objective. Cynthia would have needed to consider what she may gain, against what she could lose.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678