Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    What exactly did they say to Susan Humphreys? Did they insult her in public?
    I don't remember exact quotes but I do remember when Susan had to withdraw from the 97 Worlds with a major foot infection they weren't very supportive, almost critical or resentful. Susan struggled with an eating disorder and back injuries as well and it was always like Skate Canada had pinned their hopes on her and when she didn't fulfill their expectations they ditched her. Of course Canadian women struggled mightily during that period and they just never seemed to support or back any skater up and boost their confidence. Jennifer Robinson spoke about it as well how early in her career she took a lot of criticism and got dumped on. While she's never been my fave I admire her for her perserverance.

vCash
    I'm surprised that everybody is attributing her retirement to her back injury. I thought it would be the case as well, but she said the injury had perfectly healed (here). It really was that her heart wasn't into it anymore. She said when she tried to think of what she still wanted to accomplish in skating, she couldn't come up with anything. She is at peace with her decision. It really seems to me that while the difficult season she had last year may not have helped, she is still retiring on her own terms.

She also added that the coaching change had nothing to do with her decision (from the same article).

vCash
    Thanks for that info on Susan Humphreys Sequins! I always wondered about her.

I think Cynthia will be a great coach and she seems to be happy from her tweets.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Forrest View Post
    But that is not how it's really done, especially for a lite celeb like a Phaneuf.
    Are your fan club numbers still going through the roof?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    This may be her finest performance apart from her 2010 Worlds free:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeN2muFqKVw
    I can't find her earlier performances on youtube anymore

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Are your fan club numbers still going through the roof?
    *yawn*
    I will not be ignored! -Me

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    You also seem to have no clue about how public relations and the media work. Are you really this clueless or is it an act?
    Actually, I do have a clue. Maybe you should buy one. Poser.
    Last edited by Alex Forrest; 09-29-2012 at 04:00 AM.

vCash
    I don't remember exact quotes but I do remember when Susan had to withdraw from the 97 Worlds with a major foot infection they weren't very supportive, almost critical or resentful. Susan struggled with an eating disorder and back injuries as well and it was always like Skate Canada had pinned their hopes on her and when she didn't fulfill their expectations they ditched her. Of course Canadian women struggled mightily during that period and they just never seemed to support or back any skater up and boost their confidence. Jennifer Robinson spoke about it as well how early in her career she took a lot of criticism and got dumped on. While she's never been my fave I admire her for her perserverance.
    These were the days of David Dore, who was someone's best friend when they were doing well, and dumped on them publicly when they were doing awful.

There is a story that Liz Manley told in a TV special where she was going through depression and losing her hair at the 1983 Canadians, and was on the World Team in 1982. She got a knock on her hotel door asking for her World Team jacket back after placing 4th in 1983 at Canadians by a CFSA official.

Susan also admitted that her coach (Christy Ness) pretty much dumped her after 1994 after she was injured and not performnig well and not supporting her.

No wonder we go through these slumps.... these athletes are people not toys!!

vCash
    It's amusing to see that the posters with the most posts in this thread are the ones who seem so offended that someone as insignificant as Cynthia should hold a press conference. Without them this thread would have dropped to the second page

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Choupette View Post
    ...She also added that the coaching change had nothing to do with her decision (from the same article).
    Yes, the comment about the coaching change (implying it was part of her decision to retire) was the view of the other article writer, not a quote from Cynthia.

Clearly Skate Canada cared enough about Cynthia to hold a press conference, making an official announcement and providing awards. The advance notice helped ensure media would be present, and added an air of importance to the event. Her retirement has it's own thread here (how many pages are we up to so far?), at GS, and she has been discussed in an existing thread at the ISU board. There are probably many other boards, but these are the ones I usually visit. Whether you agree with it or not, obviously Skate Canada's strategy was effective.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rvi5 View Post
    Yes, the comment about the coaching change (implying it was part of her decision to retire) was the view of the other article writer, not a quote from Cynthia.

Clearly Skate Canada cared enough about Cynthia to hold a press conference, making an official announcement and providing awards. The advance notice helped ensure media would be present, and added an air of importance to the event. Her retirement has it's own thread here (how many pages are we up to so far?), at GS, and she has been discussed in an existing thread at the ISU board. There are probably many other boards, but these are the ones I usually visit. Whether you agree with it or not, obviously Skate Canada's strategy was effective.
    In the article on Icenetwork, Cynthia clearly said she was not retiring because of the injury.

I think Skate Canada utilized the press conference as a way to promote a new sponsor, a jewelry company. From the photos I've seen Cynthia was all dressed up and they made this big jewelry presentation to her.

When other skaters have retired in the past, Skate Canada has simply sent out a press release. This appears to have been a media platform for the jewelry co.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pixie cut View Post
    In the article on Icenetwork, Cynthia clearly said she was not retiring because of the injury.

I think Skate Canada utilized the press conference as a way to promote a new sponsor, a jewelry company. From the photos I've seen Cynthia was all dressed up and they made this big jewelry presentation to her.

When other skaters have retired in the past, Skate Canada has simply sent out a press release. This appears to have been a media platform for the jewelry co.

This makes sense to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    ...someone as insignificant as Cynthia should hold a press conference...
    Some people may consider her insignificant on the international level, however in Canada she wasn't exactly insignificant (although she may have been overshadowed by Joannie). At Canadian Nationals, Cynthia was on the podium for 7 of the 9 competitions in which she had participated (2 gold, 4 silver, 1 bronze). Of the two she wasn't on the podium, one was an early pre-2004 event, and the other was 2007 after having missed 2006 due to injury.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadia..._Championships

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rvi5 View Post
    Some people may consider her insignificant on the international level, however in Canada she wasn't exactly insignificant (although she may have been overshadowed by Joannie). At Canadian Nationals, Cynthia was on the podium for 7 of the 9 competitions in which she had participated (2 gold, 4 silver, 1 bronze). Of the two she wasn't on the podium, one was an early pre-2004 event, and the other was 2007 after having missed 2006 due to injury.
    Plus which, I would guess that she probably has the record for the longest time between winning two Canadian national championships. That she was able to stay competitive, and to win the second time, in a sport that has a pretty high turnover rate is a great accomplishment.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadask8er View Post
    These were the days of David Dore, who was someone's best friend when they were doing well, and dumped on them publicly when they were doing awful.

There is a story that Liz Manley told in a TV special where she was going through depression and losing her hair at the 1983 Canadians, and was on the World Team in 1982. She got a knock on her hotel door asking for her World Team jacket back after placing 4th in 1983 at Canadians by a CFSA official.

Susan also admitted that her coach (Christy Ness) pretty much dumped her after 1994 after she was injured and not performnig well and not supporting her.

No wonder we go through these slumps.... these athletes are people not toys!!
    I read all that stuff about Liz Manley in her book. Apparently she was losing her hair because of an eating disorder.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I read all that stuff about Liz Manley in her book. Apparently she was losing her hair because of an eating disorder.
    Not exactly. She had depression and anxiety, which caused the hair loss and some weight gain/puffiness. I've read her book too, and I don't recall her saying anything about an eating disorder.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sequins View Post
    Not likely unless you were Elvis or Kurt or Shae and Vic etc. and I'm not even sure then
    Elvis had an amazing on-TV send-off to the 2002 Olympics at Nationals in 2002. It was hosted by Rod Black (of course) on CTV, who made one of several speeches that had Elvis and the audience in near tears. Then some fun attempting Pairs and Dance with Jame Sale and Shae-Bo.

I've not seen anything like it before or since. And I did find it very touching. It was nice to see Elvis end his Nationals career on a high note, after landing a 4-3 with his resurrected Bruce Lee program. His Olympics programs that year weren't great and I thought it sad way to go out, especially given that the Bruce Lee program was eight years old.

vCash
    I'll certainly miss Cynthia and her skating. Always loved watching her, and respected her for the fight she has shown through the growth spurt and all of the injuries.

Good luck, Cynthia!

vCash
    Interesting comparison to Susan Humphreys. I remember when she was at worlds, saying there was something wrong with her foot and her coaches were quoted as saying that it was all in her head. Then a doctor took a look at the foot and it was infected. One of her coaches was quoted next day and sounded embarrassed. Cannot have been easy for her to have a team around her that would not support her. I don't remember Skate Canada treating her kindly either; they had a "tough love" attitude back then, which doesn't work with everyone. But years later, there was an article about Susan in which she said she had made her peace with Skate Canada.

Skate Canada has changed since the 1990s.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pixie cut View Post

Well, SOMETHING was up. Some minor brains can rag on me and I really have no time for them, but this seemed odd. I was preparing for a positive drug test and hence retirement. Too much was made of this. It would be normal if the word was out that a Gretzgy or even a Rochette had scheduled a presser, but Phaneuf? Something stunk in suburbia, as they say. When Magic Johnson and Sarah Palin had their swan song pressers, we weren't alerted to it beforehand. The media was, but it wasn't "Sarah Palin has announced that in two days she is going to make an announcement" to the general public.

In this thread I have said nothing but supportive things about Ms. Phaneuf. I wish her well, and success in her future. As I've stated from the start. Misread into it what you will. I've debated morons, and don't mind continuing it. Bring it.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast