Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    "We're having a press conference about the national team" should be enough, especially with many of the insiders already knowing or having a good idea of what it would be about.

I'm sure "Cynthia Phaneuf has an announcement on Wednesday" is more popular because the writers can write the story in advance and fill in the details right after the press conference.

They don't even have to think about it: they can read this thread -- re-hash her back injury and skating record, and express how sad it is that she's not competing anymore and what a great role model she was -- since we've already written it for them.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    This has to be retirement.
    She has been tweeting that she's been busy organizing her post-skating life; if she's been planning for that then it must be top of her mind.

If she has this injury it's clearly not something that would fix easily. So, long road back, managing logistics of keeping a place in Toronto and having home being Quebec...lots of unknowns on timing of everything and wondering how far back she will be able to get...

I see her feeling she won't be that ready for nats, thus losing this year and then trying to compete for likely one spot in Sochi which may or may not happen. All for what: a place on Olympic team and no hope for a medal. Been there, done that.

I suspect she's realizing the path she's on (again) isn't worth it this time.
    Wish her well.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    "We're having a press conference about the national team" should be enough, especially with many of the insiders already knowing or having a good idea of what it would be about.
    Why on earth does the wording of the media alert concern you so much?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    My guess is some people don't deem Cynthia worthy of making them wait a day or two for her announcement.

I find it rather petty myself.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    I don't really get why if she is planning on retiring or sitting out the season the president of Skate Canada would also be there? Maybe there will be other news besides what Cynthia is announcing?

Perhaps to thank her for her years of dedication to Skate Canada.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Why on earth does it matter to you that I responded to a post bemoaning the wording of announcements?
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Is it wednesday yet?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by star_gazer11 View Post
    Is it wednesday yet?
    Sadly, it was pretty much Wednesday just after 4CC ended this past season....

vCash
    I won't be surprised in the least if Cynthia retires. Losing her title last season must have hurt and the past few years have been such a struggle.

To be honest, I won't miss the CBC's team fawning over Cynthia. This is not to say anything against Cynthia as it wasn't her fault. I think pressure from the media as well as Skate Canada made the past few years harder for Cynthia. IMO they were still celebrating the baby ballerina she used to be and in so doing, expecting her to maintain that style of skating. I think this limited Cynthia's growth as a skater and made it harder for her to reinvent herself in a woman's body. Plus there were a lot of comments on her size with negative innuendos - Browning once insinuated that she was overweight.

Maybe Skate Canada will start investing some energy in other lady skaters now. The favouritism of Phaneuf over Lacoste has been painfully evident and Phaneuf had to pretty much give the title away. It's true that Lacoste can't match Phaneuf in artistry, but still, artistry plus two or three clean triples does not a champion make.
    Last edited by Japanfan; 09-26-2012 at 06:51 AM.

Eh?
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    Sadly, it was pretty much Wednesday just after 4CC ended this past season....
    Nope. Cynthia had every intention of continuing with Brian, but injury has been the problem.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveRocks View Post
    Nope. Cynthia had every intention of continuing with Brian, but injury has been the problem.
    We know she planned to continue. I think the poster was questioning should she have continued.

Blergh
    vCash
    I personally never understood Canada's fascination with Phaneuf. Sure, she was a welcome change after the Jennifer Robinson years, but I remember all that over-the-top hype she got when she burst onto the scene. It seems like that hype has carried her over until now.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    She's been practicing lifting him in secret.

vCash
    Cynthia is a beautiful skater to watch in person - she is so elegant and has great lines. I will miss her if she is indeed announcing her retirement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luckiest1 View Post
    Cynthia is a beautiful skater to watch in person - she is so elegant and has great lines. I will miss her if she is indeed announcing her retirement.
    I would agree that in person she is very impressive for the same reasons you state. She also has great skills regardless of the jump issues. I also know she inspired a few girls who were thought too tall post puberty for a figure skater to not give up.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by star_gazer11 View Post
    Is it wednesday yet?
    Why yes, it is. 9am in the west, which doesn't count as the universe revolves around the east. So it's noon where it matters. Don't press conferences usually happen in the morning??
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Don't press conferences usually happen in the morning??
    Hers was scheduled for the 'afternoon,' according to one of the articles I saw. Hoping we'll hear something definite soon.
    Article in French

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Saw this on her Twitter (translated to English):

The double champion Canadian Cynthia Phaneuf (@PhaneufCynthia) will be with us to @Cacommencebien tomorrow 7H, on the waves of @vtele!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Saw this on her Twitter (translated to English):
    Seems like her announcement will be on TVA Sports @ 5:30 EST

Source

TVA Sports Website
    Last edited by fsfan22; 09-26-2012 at 10:34 PM.

vCash
    It's official!

C'est officiel: Cynthia Phaneuf se retire du patinage artistique. En direct a 17h30
    Rough translation ... It's official: Cynthia Phaneuf withdraws from figure skating. Live at 17:30

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast