Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    I so admire Cynthia for never giving up on her dream after having to deal w/so very much during her career. I'll miss her elegance out there.

All of her future students are very lucky.

All the best and luck in the World to one heck of a classy lady!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I hate it when people make announcements about making announcements...just say what you need to say and be done with it. Why all the drama?
    So that somebody actually knows about the press conference and turns up to it.

vCash
    Sad about the circumstances leading to Cynthia's decision to retire, but glad that she'll be coaching in the Phila. area (in Southern NJ)!

vCash
    Aw. . . it can't feel great to retire just because of injury. Best to her in her future endeavors!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    She is going to be a fantastic coach. She pays attention to all the detail. Good luck!

vCash
    Best of luck to Cynthia as she begins the next stage of her life in Philadelphia.

I'll always remember seeing her winning 2004 Canadian nationals. She was so happy after the SP!

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    At the press conference yesterday Cynthia received flowers from Patinage Québec; jewellery from new SC sponsor Thomas Sabo; and a frame National Team photo from the Skate Canada. That presentation was made by SC President Benoit Lavoie and former teammate Shaun Sawyer. There are photos on the Skate Canada Facebook site and in the one with Benoit and Shaun you can appreciate her height
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victorskid View Post
    At the press conference yesterday Cynthia received flowers from Patinage Québec; jewellery from new SC sponsor Thomas Sabo; and a frame National Team photo from the Skate Canada. That presentation was made by SC President Benoit Lavoie and former teammate Shaun Sawyer. There are photos on the Skate Canada Facebook site and in the one with Benoit and Shaun you can appreciate her height
    I'm so glad that Skate Canada did this up right for Cynthia. She deserves this recognition, so having to wait a couple of days for the announcement is fine by me in order to see this athlete be celebrated for her years of contribution to Canadian skating. Her grit and determination in fighting her way back after her first win and subsequent growth spurt are an excellent example to other younger skaters and I'm glad she's going to be sharing that expertise as a coach!

vCash
    ^^ How nice!

There was no one like her on ice. I too will never forget Cynthia Paneuf

vCash
    Was sorry to hear it confirmed yesterday but best of luck to Cynthia. And welcome to Philly!

This may be her finest performance apart from her 2010 Worlds free:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeN2muFqKVw

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victorskid View Post
    Wow - do they do this for every retiring national champ?

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I'm going to miss her, but I'm also excited for her. I know Cynthia will do a great job as a coach. Wishing her the best!
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Wow - do they do this for every retiring national champ?
    Not likely unless you were Elvis or Kurt or Shae and Vic etc. and I'm not even sure then otherwise they probably gave you a kick in the ass and told you that you were a disappointment (remember Susan Humphreys?) lets hope they are wising up. Anyways Happy Retirement Cynthia! Have a happy and wonderful life!

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    So that somebody actually knows about the press conference and turns up to it.
    But that is not how it's really done, especially for a lite celeb like a Phaneuf. You do get in touch with the media, but don't make a public announcement two days beforehand. You just get the two or three journalists who think this is news to speak with you and you have your story. It has been handled rather unusually. It would be similar to an AP announcement that Rachael Flatt will have a presser in two days announcing something. Really. I have no clue of Canada's state of affairs and economy, but here in America a two day lead for Rachael Flatt would not even register on anyone's minds. Just put out a press release that she's retiring.

I thought it quite unusual.
    I will not be ignored! -Me

vCash
    Aw, back injuries suck. I'll miss her on the ice.

But she already has a job lined up; best of luck to her in her new path. Sounds like Skate Canada gave Cynthia a very nice farewell.

vCash
    Posters keep mentioning a press release -- issued to the public -- announcing the press conference in advance, except unless I'm mistaken, the only reason the preliminary information about this press conference made it out was because someone who did hear about it posted it here. There's no release on Skatebuzz or the Skate Canada site, nor did the Skate Canada social media outlets mention an impending announcement from Cynthia. And media alerts for press conferences do exist, and they are generally submitted to media and other relevant parties, or are tucked away on media-focused newswire sites.

My point being that there seems to be a lot of railing about the impropriety of a public-oriented announcement that, as far as I can see, wasn't actually issued as a widescale public announcement.

Eh?
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Forrest View Post
    But that is not how it's really done, especially for a lite celeb like a Phaneuf. You do get in touch with the media, but don't make a public announcement two days beforehand. You just get the two or three journalists who think this is news to speak with you and you have your story. It has been handled rather unusually. It would be similar to an AP announcement that Rachael Flatt will have a presser in two days announcing something. Really. I have no clue of Canada's state of affairs and economy, but here in America a two day lead for Rachael Flatt would not even register on anyone's minds. Just put out a press release that she's retiring.

I thought it quite unusual.

Sigh... There wasn't a public announcement two days beforehand.

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    You are correct, Lavenderblue.

Skate Canada apparently sent out a notice to media contacts advising them of a scheduled press conference. I believe this is normal practice if you actually want media to attend a press conference and perhaps even write/broadcast a story about what happens there. Not alerting the media would certainly ensure no one being there!

The news about the scheduled press conference was mentioned by the original poster in this thread. It was also referenced in two (at least) French articles which presumed the nature of the coming announcement. Skate Canada used the actual press conference as an opportunity to make some presentations to Cynthia - good for them!

Certain posters here who seem to have a very negative opinion of Cynthia, Skate Canada and its use of words (and perhaps of all things Canadian) have used this circumstance to get on their "high horse". This is rather inappropriate IMHO.

Let us agree that Cynthia achieved a lot, had lots of setbacks, and deserves to be wished well in whatever she chooses to do.
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sequins View Post
    Not likely unless you were Elvis or Kurt or Shae and Vic etc. and I'm not even sure then otherwise they probably gave you a kick in the ass and told you that you were a disappointment (remember Susan Humphreys?) lets hope they are wising up. Anyways Happy Retirement Cynthia! Have a happy and wonderful life!
    What exactly did they say to Susan Humphreys? Did they insult her in public?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Forrest View Post
    I have no clue of Canada's state of affairs and economy, but here in America a two day lead for Rachael Flatt would not even register on anyone's minds.
    You also seem to have no clue about how public relations and the media work. Are you really this clueless or is it an act?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast