Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Congratulations Cynthia on a successful career.

Now when's Joannie coming back?

vCash
    Best of luck to Cynthia, whatever her future holds.

vCash
    Good luck to Cynthia.

vCash

best of luck on all future endeavors Cynthia!

vCash
    Awwwww, Very Sad. I will miss her very much. She is an inspiration to every girl who is told she has grown "too tall." And her artistry was not sufficiently appreciated. Bravo! to her for never giving up and for a wonderful career. Bonne Chance Cynthia. You will be sorely missed.

vCash
    Good luck on your future endeavours Cynthia.

vCash
    Here's Skate Canada's press release on Phaneuf's retirement: http://www.skatecanada.ca/tabid/2157...S/Default.aspx

I was lucky to watch in person a young Phaneuf win the bronze at the JGP in Montreal in September 2002 and she showed a lot of charisma and charm in her skating as a then 14-year-old.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    This article in the Winnipeg Free Press also confirms the retirement. It reads:-

MONTREAL - Two-time Canadian figure skating champion Cynthia Phaneuf is stepping away from the ice.

The 24-year-old from Sorel-Tracy, Que., announced her retirement on Wednesday, coming after a roller-coaster 2011-12 season nagged by lingering back pain and a coaching change.

Phaneuf, the Canadian champion in 2004 and 2011, was diagnosed with a stress fracture in her back over the summer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    Congratulations Cynthia on a successful career.

Now when's Joannie coming back?
    The answer to that would be never...
    Kyle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    This article in the Winnipeg Free Press also confirms the retirement. It reads:-
    Nagged by the back pain AND a coaching change. Was she saying something there?
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    I'll miss her. Best of luck on your future endeavors, Cynthia!

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    Nagged by the back pain AND a coaching change. Was she saying something there?
    Here's the text of the relevant portion of her statement as posted by Skate Canada:
    She also paid tribute to the many people who helped her pursue her dreams as a skater. “I would first like to thank my family, especially my parents who supported me through so many years of training and competing. I had so many coaches who helped me to grow as a skater. I want to thank Annie Barabé, Sophie Richard and Yvan Desjardins from Contrecoeur, and then my recent coaches Brian Orser and Tracy Wilson for the impact they each had on my career. They each contributed to my development from learning jumps and footwork to putting the whole package together on the ice and preparing me to compete. And I had many special people in my life who offered me encouragement and supported me as a person as well as a skater; they all know who they are and what they have meant to me.”
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Makes you feel even worse that she couldn't have snuck in for the surprise bronze in 2010. I'd still be kicking myself for being behind the music and shortening a spin and spiral sequence....

vCash
    Article in the National Post

She plans to move to Philadelphia, where her boyfriend Max Talbot plays hockey for the Flyers, to work at former Canadian skater Isabelle Brasseur’s figure skating school.

”She offered the job so it was amazing for me to have that opportunity,” she said. ”I’m looking forward to living in Philly.
    Very interesting!

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fsfan22 View Post
    I'm sure she will be a fantastic coach... I don't know her personally but I do know some who do and she is apparently a very nice and genuine sweet girl who really had to battle her way through body changes .. she had to re learn all her jumps.. just think how much she could offer to developing skaters.. she has had the most beautiful edges and lines which to me are so important with today's jumping beans..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    I am sad to hear this. Cynthia was one of the skaters whose programs I was looking forward seeing. I liked both her programs two years ago, they were different but each very nice artistically, and I was excited to see what she will skate to next. But then she ended up keeping both for the last season, and now she is retiring altogether. Very sad, I feel like her artistic potential wasn't realized.

vCash
    Been National Champion a couple of times, been to GPF, Worlds and Olympics, won a GP and medalled at 4CCs, had a personal best at 2010 Worlds. She has had a wonderful career, especially given how injury prone she always was.

Even though she was never consistent, she was always a pleasure to watch and her programs were always beautiful (OK, except her Cleopetra ).

All the best Cynthia.

vCash
    She really has had a remarkable career when you add it all up and see how many years she has been competing for at the senior level.....I will always appreciate her elegance and presence on the ice, and those are incredibly beautiful gifts she has given to skating fans.

vCash
    All the best to Cynthia - a most remarkable young woman.
    pug lover

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Much luck and happiness to her in this next stage of her life. Her students will be lucky to have her as a teacher.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast