Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I don't really get why if she is planning on retiring or sitting out the season the president of Skate Canada would also be there? Maybe there will be other news besides what Cynthia is announcing?
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    ummmm I already know what she going to say

vCash
    I love Cynthia Phaneuf's skating; will be very sad if she indeed is announcing retirement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    One of the most recent stories about Cynthia is that she finished behind Amelie and the fed still wanted to send Cynthia to Worlds'. It wasn't fair to Amelie. I think that has rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    It's great if you've got insider information, but the whole "I know something that you don't" type of post doesn't really sit well around here. Just sayin'.

vCash
    When someone says they have a medical problem & that they have had it for a specified period of time, I always wonder how they could possibly know that. If it wasn't diagnosed a year ago, how does she know she had it that long (non-medical person here)?

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    When someone says they have a medical problem & that they have had it for a specified period of time, I always wonder how they could possibly know that. If it wasn't diagnosed a year ago, how does she know she had it that long (non-medical person here)?
    One can probably never know with 100% certainty, but once a diagnosis is made, it often sheds light on prior symptoms and one can frequently reasonably conclude that the prior symptoms were more than likely related to the condition that was just (finally) diagnosed.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    I hate it when people make announcements about making announcements...just say what you need to say and be done with it. Why all the drama?

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I hate it when people make announcements about making announcements...just say what you need to say and be done with it. Why all the drama?
    Drama?

She's announced a press conference. This is hardly unusual, even in skating. Stephane Lambiel and Jeff Buttle did the same thing when they announced their retirements

vCash
    Still, it's a waste of time IMO. Just make the announcement...it seems silly to prolong the news by making an announcement that you're going to make an announcement. Why not just set up the press conference and say what needs to be said rather than make everyone wait? Though when you think about it, it does get people talking so I suppose it has the desired effect...still annoying though.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Does it really matter in the overall scheme of things if a skater announces a press conference several days before it actually happens?

Seems an awfully silly thing to me to be annoyed about.

Fearless Musher
    vCash
    BTW, how do you get people to come to a press conference if you don't announce there'll be one ?
    "I missed the view and viewed the mist..." ©

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cholla View Post
    BTW, how do you get people to come to a press conference if you don't announce there'll be one ?
    I guess the grumbling krew wanted her to use a fall competition or another event (conference, seminar or the like) that's already in place to make her announcement, rather than holding her own press conference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cholla View Post
    Exactly.
    Still, it's a waste of time IMO. Just make the announcement...it seems silly to prolong the news by making an announcement that you're going to make an announcement. Why not just set up the press conference and say what needs to be said rather than make everyone wait? Though when you think about it, it does get people talking so I suppose it has the desired effect...still annoying though.
    If there were no media at a press conference, how could it actually be a press conference? If you (and others) would prefer that she just issue a press release with a statement about whatever she wants to announce, just say so. A press conference implies that there will be some Q&A between whatever media people are there and Cynthia -- which requires that the media be alerted to the event beforehand.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    That's exactly what is being done.

vCash
    Press Conference 101:

http://marketing.about.com/od/public...conference.htm

Advanced notice is critical. You'd want to give people a day's warning about a press conference, if you can. TV and radio news directors map out where their cameras and reporters will be. Give them time to plan.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    One of the most recent stories about Cynthia is that she finished behind Amelie and the fed still wanted to send Cynthia to Worlds'. It wasn't fair to Amelie. I think that has rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.
    Lacoste and Phaneuf were very close in score in several competitions, but I doubt if Phaneuf had been that slightly ahead of Lacoste at Nationals that they would have given Lacoste another chance to come out ahead of Phaneuf.

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    Exactly. If there were no media at a press conference, how could it actually be a press conference?
    You can call a press conference without announcing the subject in advance. Skate Canada doesn't call them randomly unless they have news worth showing up for.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 09-25-2012 at 10:17 PM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    You can call a press conference without announcing the subject in advance. Skate Canada doesn't call them randomly unless they have news worth showing up for.
    so you want them to say "we're having a press conference" without any suggestion of what it concerns? News flash: no one will come.

You always say who's going to be there, so media can decide if it's of interest and begin planning their stories (for example, gathering up background info they have on Cynthia, perhaps talking to some of their sources in advance, etc).

Clearly they want to say something more than simply retirement or the like, and they want to make Cynthia and other available in person. A press conference is held for major news, and also news where a lot of questions are anticipated, so you do it all at once rather than taking calls and answering the same questions over and over. It gives the media a chance to ask their questions and get their quotes and images, so they can file the story right away instead of waiting for SC or Cynthia to get back to them along with everyone else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Yeah right - I'm sure the media would just love that.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast